Earth - Garbunkul

Earth and Wind creature design contest
Sinh
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Earth - Garbunkul

Post by Sinh »

A GIMP texture (pink marble) was used in the creation of this image.

With sloppy BG for size comparison:
click

Ideas for egg and hatchling stages:
click

Description:

Despite their enormous size these creatures are extremely hard to find. They spend most of the time curled up, sleeping through most of the year, in which state they blend so perfectly with their surroundings that they become just another part of the forest they live in. A Magi may well spend half his life climbing around a Garbunkul’s back without ever knowing.
Consequently very little is known about these creatures. The rare reports of encounters with a waking Garbunkul all agree on them appearing in autumn, obviously enjoying the vivid colouring of the leaves. They are believed to be very playful, though slow, but also rather shy. They will not normally uncurl when any human is nearby. Some farmers swear that Garbunkul eat their apple trees whole.

There is a legend about a Magi forming a bond with a Garbunkul by spending a lot of time in the forest on the creature’s back without even knowing he had met one. One day a great fire destroyed most of the forest and the Magi became trapped by the flames. It was in this situation that the Garbunkul revealed itself, curling up around the Magi and sheltering him from the flames.
The Magi respected the Creature’s wish to stay hidden and didn’t tell anyone about his encounter. He was rewarded with an egg and thus became the first person ever to be entrusted with the egg of a Garbunkul.
Sarah745
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: Earth - Garbunkul

Post by Sarah745 »

Woah! I love the story and the creature. Wish I could use gimp, but not exactly sure how so I gave up. Plus my vomputer is prone to viruses and my mom wont let me download stuff. So, yeah.. anyways, marvelous! I want to hoard them lol. My army of giant hedgehogs!
To whom it may concern
Firm Protestant, Female, traditional marriage, patriot, chicken liver

ImageImageImageImage

LF March 6th Anything
Savis Mouse Army = 150 + counting
GimliTheGreat
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by GimliTheGreat »

Awesome! I love the artwork, and love how you included eggs and hatchlings. I want these in the stream!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ShadowVixen
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShadowVixen »

Oh my I like this one. Surprised at the size. ;-; Makes it unhugable.
Firebird
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Firebird »

This. ..I would donate for. . Such a cute concept. Greatly done
ImageImage
Sinh
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Sinh »

Sarah745 wrote:Woah! I love the story and the creature. Wish I could use gimp, but not exactly sure how so I gave up. Plus my vomputer is prone to viruses and my mom wont let me download stuff. So, yeah.. anyways, marvelous! I want to hoard them lol. My army of giant hedgehogs!
Thank you!
Sorry about your not being able to get GIMP. But you can always do traditional art, right? Nothing beats the good old pencil and paper anyway.
GimliTheGreat wrote:Awesome! I love the artwork, and love how you included eggs and hatchlings. I want these in the stream!
Thank you very much! <3
Somehow I can't help but think that their eggs would sink like stones :derr:
ShadowVixen wrote:Oh my I like this one. Surprised at the size. ;-; Makes it unhugable.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Making them huge does mess up on the cuddly little critter sceme. But they would make for great protectors and I guess one could always hug one of the trees on their back :D
Firebird wrote:This. ..I would donate for. . Such a cute concept. Greatly done
Woha, thank you! <3
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by MothballMilkshake »

Adorbable!
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”