A letter of request, to Emander Tyris

"Summer at the Keep" writing contest
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

A letter of request, to Emander Tyris

Post by MothballMilkshake »

T’was brillig, and the slithey toves
Did gyre and gimbol in the wabe

Wait, no, that’s not right. That’s for- (The following lines are covered in inky paw prints).

Oh yes. Terribly sorry, Salamander try-this. Uh, Coriander spineless. No, Emander Tyris! Yes, that’s the one. You must think me a right ninny by this point, but I assure you, my research will be incredibly valuable to your studies.

I have been studying the habits of winged cats, you see. I currently have eleven in my apartments, five white, three black, three tabby, and their routines are fascinating. I’m sure you will agree with me that the work these creatures do should be raised in importance. During the winter, these cats grow an incredibly thick coat which, come summer, sheds off in great lumps. I’m sure that given the right equipment and finding, of course some people to help, materials to work with… (What appears to be a smear of bile covers the rest of this paragraph).

In addition, their mating rituals during the summer are just captivating. They yowl in the early hours of the morning, quite often waking me from my sleep, I must say, and spray their scent on any wall available. If a cat of the opposite gender happens to find this scent, it is able to tell exactly what the cat is after in a mate, and where to find it if suitable.

Now, the behavior if an unsuitable mate happens upon a cat is even more interesting…
I have heard of cats in other parts of the world, smaller, that cannot even fly, and if they attempt to mate when the other is not willing, a fight will ensue. Not so with these animals. The apparent suitor, whether male or female, will bring gifts to the object of its affection. Decessus, Avrael, even Hummingbirds at times, though I’m not sure how they catch them. To signal a return interest, the cat being pursued will accept the gift, devour it, before regurgitating it and offering a small part to the prospective mate. If not interested, however, the cat will bring the animal to a companion with talents in healing, hold it in its paws in front of the suitor, and release it. The suitor will be on his or her way with no more than a sad swish of their tail.

As you can see, this could be an incredibly interesting skill to harness. Trained properly, these cats could be brought to find injured creatures, and bring (a smear of ink covers the next several lines).

I have spent several hours on the roof, sunning myself with the cats, in order to ingratiate myself to them, and I believe, after several bad sunburns and perhaps a case or two of sunstroke, that they have finally accepted me as somewhat of an equal. The other day, Rumpleteazer brought me a dead Sunrise Talvar! The other mages in my apartments were appalled, however I accepted the gift with a smile and a high pitched mewling noise, which I have heard the cats make on occasion. She did seem upset that I didn’t complete the ritual, however even I could not bring myself to eat a raw bird.

The hatchlings of these wonderful animals are even more absorbing to study. Naturally, they are unable to catch any of the larger creatures, and quite often do not harm their prey, but they do enjoy chasing Vitriums through the grass. It is quite an amusing site to see the small insect leap from the grass, only to be followed by a clumsy kitten imitating its movement.

Several of my female winged cats have fallen pregnant during the spring, and over the past several weeks have begun making ‘nests’, of a sort. With a great deal of encouragement I was able to coax them away from the kitchens, though it was certainly their first choice. They now have collected pieces of their fur, kept over winter, as well as straw, paper, and even people’s clothing. Solar frequently complains that her smallclothes have gone missing, and I helpfully make myself scarce when she asks if I know anything.

They require a great deal of care, though it seems that once mated, these cats will stay mated for the remainder of the summer. Their chosen males bring them food, in addition to the special meals I have prepared for them. Their bellies have swollen to twice their original size – I think this may be the first time any magi has experienced the birth cycle of one of their companions! From the look and feel of them, each is carrying between four and six eggs each, and if you are very still for a good amount of time, you are able to feel the tiny wings fluttering inside them. So far, only cats of like colours have mated, though I am very curious to see what would come of a black and white pair.

(The remainder of this parchment has been ripped off by what appears to be a set of teeth and claws)

I implore you, with more funding, and an ample supply of volunteers, we can document not only the life cycle, but also the mating process and behavior of these animals. I have detailed the incredible usefulness of these animals, with their fur winter would not be nearly so hard on the cold blooded creatures, and I am sure that with the proper training they will assist us in helping injured companions. With bigger apartments, perhaps a dedicated cook staff and cleaning crew, an entire colony of cats could live quite comfortably. I am sure you will see how reasonable this suggestion is, you seem a very intelligent man, unlike some at the academy.

I await your response.

Mistress Mothball, clan Milkshake.
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me

Return to “August 2014 Monthly Contest”