To Emander Tyris: Summer at the Keep

"Summer at the Keep" writing contest
SolarPhoenix
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

To Emander Tyris: Summer at the Keep

Post by SolarPhoenix »

Entering her rooms, Solar dropped the small pack that she used to carry her books, scrolls, and pens to her classes in a corner by the door, looking over at her Hellhound who had followed her in and went to curl up in front of the fireplace. Digging around in her pack, she pulled out one of the scrolls, the one that she had used today to take notes, including a few quick ones about the letter that had been read to them, a letter from someone named Emander Tyris. She sat down at her desk, waving the letter at her constant companion, who raised his horned head and regarded her with eyes that burned with an inner fire.

"This Emander Tyris wants to know what we do over the summer, Anubis. Do you think he'd like to go where we go in the heat of summer?"

The Hellhound snorted, then yawned at her, flashing impressive fangs, and she grinned, running a hand through her fiery hair and moving it over her shoulder as she stood up again, dropping the small scroll onto the desk and heading into her bedroom, Anubis eventually getting up and lazily following her. She watched as he got up onto her bed, taking up all of the room that hadn't been covered by her travel pack and various things that she hadn't packed away yet. Shaking her head with a chuckle, she went to greet her other close companions, the ones that stayed with her nearly everyday, anyway. Scratching her Anaugi on the head, she rummaged in her pocket to find a treat for Raisa, the beautiful lizard almost seeming to purr in pleasure at the affection and the tasty treat, taking it from her gently. Solar smiled down at the Anaugi, then looked up as a happy chirp caught her attention, a gorgeous Monarch Lunestre Dragon gliding down onto her shoulder from the perch that she had made for her small flying friend. Quickly she tucked her necklace into her shirt before the little thief could try and snag it, but she just laughed as Ayomide gave a little frustrated growl, knowing that the dragon was just being playful. Still, she reached into her pocket again, holding out a shiny silver bead for the little dragon, who bounced in excitement and gave her a lightning fast nuzzle before snagging the treasure and flying out of the window with it.

Her greetings done, she headed back out to her desk, Anubis popping an eye open and huffing in irritation at having to move again, but getting up anyway and following her over to her desk, where he curled up beside her chair, the heat from his body radiating against her feet and legs. He would be much happier if she would just stay in one area when they were at home, but once on the road he was in constant motion, on the alert for any danger and showing the aggressive nature so well-known in Hellhounds.

Taking out a new scroll from one of her drawers, she took a pen and carefully started to write, making sure to keep her handwriting neat and tidy, like they were taught. She wanted to make a good impression and give this curious man something intriguing to read.
To Emander Tyris,

I am very glad to hear that you find my passion interesting. It is an honor to have an anthropologist intrigued in our work, and I would be interested to hear more about what you do, as well.

Normally we spend our days at the Keep, going from class to class and spending the rest of our time caring for our companions. Our hatchlings especially need a lot of attention, not only to make sure that they grow up into healthy adults that are acceptable members of the community, but also to make sure that they are happy and given the affection that they enjoy.

During the summer we find ourselves with more free time, though of course there are always classes and lectures that we can attend, if we so wish. As for myself, I enjoy spending as much time as I can traveling, and I go to places that are usually avoided by most during the summer. I am a Fire Magi, specializing in creatures that hold the power of that element, as well as creatures of a darker, more aggressive nature, such as my Hellhound Anubis. I find the creatures of fire to be beautiful, the flames found within their souls and the passionate nature that most show drawing me to them like no other.

As the warmth of summer approaches, the fire companions that I hold dear enjoy the heat of the season, and they can become restless, ready to visit the places that they love before the chill of fall comes back around. When I have the time between classes, I head out with them to places like Voltar and the Entain Desert, always wanting to take any opportunity I can to study the areas that the creatures I love call home, or just enjoy being in, and of course to collect any eggs that I find that are of interest. The heat is incredible, but so are the sights.

The city of Voltar always teems with activity after the sun sets, the cool of the night contrasted by the lights from the festivals and the life that these friendly people show. Exotic spices, scents, and creatures can be found here, and it seems that there is something surprising behind every corner. If I haven't been watching my spending carefully, I could always find myself with an empty coin purse and a pack full of treasures! But I tend to limit myself to just a few items that I simply couldn't resist, and of course that includes any fascinating egg that I may come across, since Phoenix and Fire Gryphon eggs are just two of the kinds that you are able to find.

The Entain Desert, on the other hand, is somewhere that my companions and I visit to take in the beauty of the natural world. It may be harsh to most people, but to me, it is as if fire and the sun itself had a hand in its formation, and I find beauty in the canyons and sand that I can't seem to describe to anyone else. I always wish that I am more of an artist than I am, so that I can paint what I see, but a painting easel is not exactly something that is easy to travel with. The sight of my companions flying through the canyons and basking in the heat of the sun lifts my heart, and even if we are not able to find any eggs that I can take back to my home at the Keep, I am happy to take the time to enjoy myself and allow my companions to do the same.

As a Magi, I have spent a lot of time caring for the eggs that I have collected, and raising and training the companions that hatch out of them. It is very rewarding to watch the tiny creature that you saw come out of the egg that you carefully tended grow up into an adult that you can call a companion, a creature that will be one that will work with you to make your tasks easier, and your life more enriched.

Whether that companion is one that will stay with you always, or is one that is only by your side during a Quest or to help with a certain duty before disappearing again on their own travels, they are dear friends and I would find my life to be devoid of something I truly enjoy if I suddenly find myself unable to raise companions any longer.

I hope that this letter gives you more insight into the life of one particular Magi, and I look forward to learning more about yourself and your thoughts about the life that we lead.
Sincerely yours,
Solar
“Reality continues to ruin my life.”
― Bill Watterson, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

Return to “August 2014 Monthly Contest”