A letter addressing Emander Tyris

"Summer at the Keep" writing contest
DarkPanther
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

A letter addressing Emander Tyris

Post by DarkPanther »

Dear Emander Tyris,

As your letter was written so well, I felt that a response to your question deserved the same formality. Your interest in the Keep and our culture is welcome, for we magi here are happy to share all of our knowledge with others when able. I find myself a bit of a recluse in our community, but just as well I feel even an onlooker as myself is able to describe our traditions to you.It would be harder not to, when our people are so joyous during the summer months. Though all seasons are beloved here, I think the summers are when the Keep is busiest and bustling with Magi. Whereas in other months, many of our people find themselves perturbed by the chores that such more difficult times bring about.

Summer is truly a time for all magi to come together, and as such the creatures that gather here range from common direwolves, to more exotic creatures from the far off regions that are more difficult; if not impossible, to travel through in the later seasons.

During the summer months, more time is available for our people to relax. One can visit Remy’s for a drink without too much consequence to look forward to the next day.

Though most of our creatures find themselves most comfortable during the summer season, others require preparation for the warmer months and longer days. Among these are the creatures from the north; such as icist, snow vevex rays, ice phoenix, ice kraken, snow dragons, and vetus. These creatures do not do well in warm climates, and because of this are often taken by magi such as Nyiara back to their natural climates around Arkene to wait out the long summer months.

Other creatures, including: ice octopus, holly jackalope, bell and chain elk, reindeer, tundra tylluan, arkenian sunbeast, narwhal, ice gryphon, confara pegasi, and Arkenian kitsune are able to adapt to the summer months, allowing them to remain at the Keep comfortably with their magi. However, if any of these creatures begin to exhibit feelings of illness they are immediately transported to a cooler climate.

As some creatures experience difficulty during this grand season, others flourish. Those from the tropical surroundings in Raza are particularly pleased by the warmer weather, and seem exceptionally perky during the season in comparison to other months. Creatures unseen during the cooler season suddenly migrate toward the Keep from their warm winter homes to decorate it with a variety of colors.

Exotic birds such as puvia, and the flying serpents known as quetzalcoatl cover the sky in an unannounced festival of feathers. It is always a sight every year to see the first bunch of them return. While in other seasons the creatures do still visit the Keep, the batches of them seen flying in during the summer are unlike any other. Likewise, the summer sun serves as a spotlight which allows their beautiful feathers to shine like the faucets of some rare gem.

As exotic birds cover the sky in color, like wise the grounds of the Keep are decorated with mysterious serpents and their scales of different color. Raza cobra; renowned for their spectacular and unique coloration that intensifies with their age, sun bathe during the summer months. Though they are strictly watched, after one too many young magi attempted to capture their scales.. Can you imagine their alarm after receiving such a poisonous bite? I believe once or twice somd medi magi have considered not treating these poor young ones.. as it was their own stupidity that caused their wounds. But, none have yet to die at the Keep from a cobra bite. The Raza cobra that reside within the kept on a special diet in order dilute their poisonous venom.

With all of the outgoing and incoming creatures, the beginning of the summer is definitely a busy time for the magi of the Keep. But once every creature has been taken care of, much relaxes. We spend our days studying as you do, and learning all we can of the creatures amongst us. Many collect feathers of the birds that only appear this time of year for use in further study and to discover any medicinal properties that could exist within their magical cores.

I however think the spirit of the Keep during the summer is best seen when viewing a group of magi. While other seasons we may be busy, and face harder times, the summer is a time to be with friends. Many gather round for a drink at Remy’s, and enjoy watching the season’s young hatchlings meander about. Summer is a time of stories being told, and bonfires taking place in order to celebrate togetherness. It is a time of reconnection with those those that may have other duties in the other seasons. If you ever do find yourself at the Keep during the summer, I hope you do find your way to Remy’s and enjoy a drink with a group of our kind. I think you would find yourself truly amazed at how after seasons apart, so many of us are able to come back together to enjoy the one season most of us are able to share together.

I hope that this addresses your questions on our culture, and our creatures. It was a pleasure being able to share a piece of the Keep with you. I do hope that you find your way to us soon, and I think I speak for everyone in thanking you for our newest addition in the chinchillas.

Thank you for your interest Sir Tyris,

DarkPanther

Word Count: 936
ImageImageImageImage

If you need a gender swap feel free to PM Me; I have an excess of gender potions at the moment. I don't mind swapping a critter for you and sending them back.

Return to “August 2014 Monthly Contest”