Why are dinosaurs so popular?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

ZezeDragon
CreaturesTrade

Why are dinosaurs so popular?

Post by ZezeDragon »

This was a question I got on a practice quiz I took online. Here is my answer.

Since they are not alive currently, we cannot study them the way we could study a dog or cat or bird. Also, since when someone says the word "dinosaur" the first thing that comes to mind is the big scary Tyrannosaurus Rex, it gives us a lot of ideas for movies. Because of their scariness, dinosaurs make good city destroyers/people eaters in movies.

I wondered what the MagiStream community thought of my answer, and what they think an answer to this question is. Post what you think! *jabs question with finger XD)
For gender swap:Image - Need male
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Re: Why are dinosaurs so popular?

Post by GlassOctopus »

I think dinosaurs are so popular because they are almost like majestic fantasy creatures. The only things really uncovered by science is skeletons and fossils; therefore, opening lots of creativity to what dinosaurs actually looked like or behaved. Plus people have different interpretations of dinosaurs such as big scary monsters or more cute chibi like drawings.
:t-pirate: ARRRG I'm a pirate! Click my eggs and you shall get some booty!!

My Mascot:Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZezeDragon
CreaturesTrade

Post by ZezeDragon »

Oh yeah, I see what you mean about interpretations.

Such as
http://slowbuddy.com/wp-content/gallery ... 891d42.jpg
vs.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/Krisd ... nosaur.jpg

Not to mention all the different colors their skin (scales?) could be. :D
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

Yup plus they always look really cool and remind me of dragons

TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

For me, they're fascinating because they're a part of the natural history and evolution of life on this planet. Literally every day, new fossils are found which yield information the scientific community had not previously known. Some of that information, in light of new facts, completely destroys what we thought we knew about the creatures.

The biggest fascination for me is their tremendous ability to adapt. While some dinosaurs died out because they could not do so, we still have alligators, gar, sharks, turtles, and some avians which are virtually unchanged --- and still supremely adapted --- since they first made their appearance on the planet. Alligators and gar are not stupid, regardless of the stereotype about the 'reptilian' brain (which, by the way, humans also still retain but it's much smaller and less functional) might say.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
crazyflight
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by crazyflight »

Well, there are also people who believe that dinosaurs never existed and are just like fantasy creatures. I mean, some think that bones are fake and are just there to give you a scare, and some boost their religion by professing that God put them there to test our faith, or something like that.

Dinosaurs are just cool. There are so many different kinds with so many different niches, yet they're all dinosaurs.
ImageImageImageImageImage
always looking to buy streamborn opal and diamond gemstone kirin!
<3 <3 <3
happy pride!
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

So I guess the real question here is what is cooler: dinosaurs or fantasy creatures?

crazyflight
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by crazyflight »

GlassOctopus wrote:So I guess the real question here is what is cooler: dinosaurs or fantasy creatures?
Well, part of their appeal comes from the fact that they did exist, and it's fantastic to think that these amazing creatures once roamed this earth. While fantasy creatures may be cooler, they have that... You know. Fantasy edge, where it's clear that they would never and have never been here.
ImageImageImageImageImage
always looking to buy streamborn opal and diamond gemstone kirin!
<3 <3 <3
happy pride!
ZezeDragon
CreaturesTrade

Post by ZezeDragon »

GlassOctopus wrote:So I guess the real question here is what is cooler: dinosaurs or fantasy creatures?
I'd have to go with fantasy creatures. XD They are even more diverse than all the dinosaur species; we've got dragons, pegasi, gorgons, hydras, unicorns, et cetera. And what really makes them interesting is that, since they have never existed, we can make them look/act however we want when we write.
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

I can see Crazyflight's view of the idea that since dinosaurs actually were alive, they are like the only fantasy creatures that every actually existed. I can also see the view that because of the wide range of fantasy creatures there is more variety therefore cooler, but as science proves, there were many dinosaurs—almost so many to say not all could even be dinosaurs but their own species altogether.

So, to answer my own question I would have to say it's a draw for me. Fantasy creatures really do intrigue me because of their mold-ability into making whatever personality a person would like to it but I also am fascinated by the study of dinosaurs :P

Return to “Hall of Speakers”