Barrel Dragons (Kyletsune's entry)

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Whalefall
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Barrel Dragons (Kyletsune's entry)

Post by Whalefall »

(Also known as the Teapot Dragon and Buoyant Dragon)
Unfortunately I fail at spriting and the best I could do was this, oh well.

Biiiiiggg Picture, colored pic to be done later.

Egg: It seems as though a canteen made from a strange substance is floating gently down the stream. With little ceremony you pick it up and throw it into your bag amongst your other treasures, maybe you'll be able to fill it with some of Remy's concoctions.

Baby: Your canteen! It hatched! And you were just about to fill it with something as well, suppose it was better that you didn't. Two small eyes pear out from a shell that looks suspiciously like it's made of wood, yet upon further inspection it is muich harder and denser. When you try to lure the creature out with tempting morsels there is a flash of blue as a small head snakes out and quickly retreats back into the shell like a striking snake. Four stubby light blue limbs and a short tail also sprout from the brown shell. You swear you can spy the faintest hinting of webbing between the creature's toes, but the toes themselves obscure any defining details. Perhaps as the creature ages it's limbs will grow longer, otherwise it might have to awkwardly scuttle for the rest of it's life. The creature moves little and perfers to bask on the shores of the lake where the ground is nice and marshy.

Adult: A distinctly draconic head snakes out of the cavernous shell on a long serpentine neck. You now see why the creature was careful with its neck when it was younger as its bones were still developing in stength. Now, however, its bones and scales have hardened allowing it to use the length of its neck to its advantage. It can often be seen shambling about the lake shore striking at dull colored fish near the shoreline with the accuracy of a striking serpent. Two strong webbed toes on each foot allow for equal distribution of the creatures massive weight amongst the mud and marsh it calls home. It's not uncommon to see the dragon swimming, no bobbing, across the lake with ease due to its buoyancy. Perhaps the oddest faeture, however, is that when the creature walks you swear you can hear a gentle swishing alike to that of water in a barrel. How curious.

General: Barrel dragons have something of a murky history to say the least. It is said in ancient tales that a man wishing to bind a dragon and a water elemental created the creature by accident when he forgot to dispose of the barrel he was keeping the elemental captive in. The result was a dragon with a hard shell resembling a barrel that was something near the size of the largest horses. Since then they have become a favorite of Magi who travel to vast swamps and marshy areas for the dragon is extremely buoyant when in water. They are also vastly popular amongst the coastal population as they bond easily with children and love to swim with them. When the child tires of swimming they simply climb onto the back or neck of the dragon and ride back to the shore where they will then entertain the child further by spitting small fountain of water that it stores within itself from its mouth.

Feel free to critique.
Last edited by Whalefall on September 15th, 2009, 9:51:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
kinda sad but you remind me
you remind me of a love that I once knew
+++
BlackDdraig
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Barrel Dragons (Kyletsune's entry)

Post by BlackDdraig »

Can I point out a small spelling correction? ^.^
"a mruky history to sya the least"
Murky and say?
I do the exact same thing when I type XD That is why I use Firefox as it has a spellchecker.
PM me if the crash ate a linage I gifted you
If I stop logging in, it means my parents are being dicks >.<
Always remember "yukkuri shiteitte ne"(take it easy :3)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My cave My Creatures
Please visit him and all his family <3 Image
ƸӜ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Whalefall
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Whalefall »

Thank you for pointing that out, unfortunately my IE does not have a spell check XD
Image Image
+++
BlackDdraig
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by BlackDdraig »

Kyletsune wrote:Thank you for pointing that out, unfortunately my IE does not have a spell check XD
Lol, get the Fox, it runs better than IE.
Internet preferences aside, I really like the creature you made. It has quite remarkable detail.
PM me if the crash ate a linage I gifted you
If I stop logging in, it means my parents are being dicks >.<
Always remember "yukkuri shiteitte ne"(take it easy :3)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My cave My Creatures
Please visit him and all his family <3 Image
ƸӜ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Whalefall
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Whalefall »

BlackDdraig wrote:
Kyletsune wrote:Thank you for pointing that out, unfortunately my IE does not have a spell check XD
Lol, get the Fox, it runs better than IE.
Internet preferences aside, I really like the creature you made. It has quite remarkable detail.
Thanks! I've been toying with its design for several years now, I just needed to find the right competition to enter it in XD
Image Image
+++

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”