Atalantra's Entries - The Salamander and Kelpy

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Atalantra
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Atalantra's Entries - The Salamander and Kelpy

Post by Atalantra »

‘Ello everyone,
I love to write, as you all know, so I thought I might have a try at this. It’s the first contest that’s happened since I’ve been a member, so I am quite excited ^^
I tried to draw how I pictured the Salamander…but…drawing is not my strong point, let’s leave it at that. So I figured I’d just describe what I pictured them looking like.
Feedback is welcome, be it praise or constructive criticism =)

~Atalantra

The Salamander

General -
Salamanders are mysterious, playful creatures born from fire. Similarly to Dryads, Salamanders are tied to the fire they were born from, and if the blaze goes out they will die. They do not need to eat or drink, but must often return to bask in their fires to replenish energy. Largely social creatures, Salamanders adore games and puzzles, and possess a highly intelligent mind. They can occasionally even communicate with Magi by way of markings scratched into the dirt, if the Magi knows how to decipher them.
No one knows just how or why Salamanders exist, but they are helpful allies to many of the older, more experienced Magi and wonderful playmates for the younger ones.
They get along well with other fire-related creatures, such as Fire Gryphons, and Salamanders and Phoenixes can often be seen playing together.

Egg -

Description: I figure the write-up pretty much stands for itself ^^
~~~This egg is a vivid shade of red, and is peppered with brown speckles. Two long, curly tails are wrapped around it.

Hatchling -

Description: A small red lizard-like creature curled into a spiral, with two long tails and tiny ridges along its back. It has deep brown stripes along the ridges, and a few small brown dots on its back, as well.
~~~The young Salamander is exceedingly playful. It now has thin ridges along its back, which are striped in dark sienna, and a small head with tiny, pointy ears. Its eyes are a deep, fathomless orange, and eternally have the look of being amused and detached at the same time.
It especially loves to play games of Hide-And-Go-Seek, although is not very good at it due to the fact that it can always be found hiding within flames of some sort.

Adult -

Description: The lizard-like creature standing up, looking out of the screen, with large deep orange eyes. Its tails are very long, wavy, and held aloft (twined together), curling into a small spiral at the end. The ridges along its back are fully developed (although still small), with burnt sienna stripes along them.
~~~A large red salamander is curled up on the stone floor, eyes shut, seemingly asleep. Its long, flexible tails are wrapped snugly around a table leg so that no one will trip over them, a considerate thought on the Salamander’s part.
You kneel down to look closer at it, and suddenly its eyes snap open. Large, intense, and orange, they scrutinize you carefully, then close again, the Salamander apparently having decided that you are not a threat.
You pat its scaly head, and tiptoe away so as not to disturb its sleep any further.
Last edited by Atalantra on September 15th, 2009, 10:55:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Beautiful signature art made by Tulcadhiel ♥️
Lauren
CreaturesTrade

Re: Atalantra's Entry - The Salamander *Crits Welcome*

Post by Lauren »

Excellent Job! The writing is amazing! Good Luck ^_^
Atalantra
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Atalantra »

I can't wait to see who wins. I won't mind too much if I don't, I've seen some really amazing entries other people have done =)

dizzydino
CreaturesTrade

Post by dizzydino »

WoW!! Your post sounds fab! :t-wave: :t-dance:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[br]Get your own Evelon Pet Today![/center]we can has clicks?please gold mine my keep.Image[/center
Emery
CreaturesTrade

Post by Emery »

I love it! The general description's especially great. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

California, Rest In Peace

Atalantra
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Atalantra's Entries - The Salamander and Kelpy

Post by Atalantra »

Thanks everyone ^^
I have another entry too which I'm still working on a bit (those adult descriptions are torture). *EDIT* I'm all done now :t-^_^:

~Atalantra

The Kelpy

General -
The Kelpy resembles a small sea turtle, although with two major differences: it has a long finned tail, and is completely made of ice. They can be found in frigid lakes in and around Arkene.
The Kelpy’s eyes, the only part of it not made of ice, change color as the Kelpy matures. At hatchling stage the eyes are ice blue, and over time they deepen until they are a beautiful turquoise blue.
Kelpies do not need to eat, however they do need to drink at least three gallons of freshwater a day to maintain their icy exterior.
These gentle creatures may seem harmless on land, but once they are in water they are fully capable of defending themselves, their icy flippers becoming strong and powerful. They are peace-loving, however, and would not harm any creature unless threatened.

Egg -

Description: An egg covered in ice, with a few small hairline cracks here and there. A small flipper is poking out on one side.
~~~The egg you picked up is covered completely in a thick coating of ice.

Hatchling -

Description: A tiny turtle with a long graceful finned tail. It is made of ice, except for its eyes, which are like the eyes of any other animal, and a pale sky blue.
~~~From the egg hatched a tiny turtle-like creature made of pure ice, with a delicately finned tail and large liquid eyes. It looks exceedingly fragile, so you are very careful with it at all times. It loves to play with the older hatchlings, but often you have to stop them from being too rough around the small Kelpy.
Its natural habitant is water, and it often swims in the Stream, the magical waters seeming to strengthen it. It gets along remarkably well with Koi and Hippocampii, and they often will race each other in the water, although the Kelpy usually wins, its speed belying its frail appearance.

Adult -

Description: An adult version of the hatchling description, with one difference: its eyes are now a deep aquatic blue.
~~~The Kelpy is now fully grown and full of energy. It adores swimming, and is amazingly fast, its tail and large flippers helping to propel it through the water. Its eyes have grown darker as it matured, so that now they are a deep blue.
It must stay well away from fire, as it will melt easily in excessive heat, and any Magi who owns one should take great care not to bring so much as a candle near it.
Adult Kelpies are extremely good at sculpting and shaping ice, their long flippers being razor-sharp on the edges. In their native land of Arkene, they often can be found residing within domes of clear, perfect ice that they built themselves. Kelpies adore challenges and are constantly coming up with new ideas for their ice sculptures, occasionally even sculpting other creatures or Magi.
Magi love to praise the little creatures, for when happy, their aqua eyes seem to swirl joyfully.

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”