Thunderbird -- Creature #665

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
NyxNoire
Site Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Thunderbird -- Creature #665

Post by NyxNoire »

DarkRider wrote:
Spoiler
Such a cute ball of fluff. :t-swoon:
<3 Thank you so much for my pressies! <3
ImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

Be very careful with Thunderbird.
This is one of those things you have to do right; to honor Thunderbird is a wonderful thing.

Just... keep in mind that we're touching on deeply held cultural beliefs with him.
Spoiler
http://www.native-languages.org/thunderbird.htm

Name: Thunderbird
Tribal affiliation: Sioux, Arapaho, Wichita, Ojibwe, Salish, many other tribes
Native names: Wakinyan (Sioux), Animikii (Anishinaabe), Boh'ooo or Etcitane:bate (Arapaho), Bha'a (Gros Ventre), Cigwe (Potawatomi), Enaemaehkiw/Inaemehkiwak (Menominee)
Related figures in other tribes: Thunders (Iroquois), Thunder Beings (Lenape), Thunderers (Cherokee)

The Thunderbird is a widespread figure in Native American mythology, particularly among Midwestern, Plains, and Northwest Coast tribes. Thunderbird is described as an enormous bird (according to many Northwestern tribes, large enough to carry a killer whale in its talons as an eagle carries a fish) who is responsible for the sound of thunder (and in some cases lightning as well.) Different Native American communities had different traditions regarding the Thunderbird. In some tribes, Thunderbirds are considered extremely sacred forces of nature, while in others, they are treated like powerful but otherwise ordinary members of the animal kingdom. In Gros Ventre tradition, it was Thunderbird (Bha'a) who gave the sacred pipe to the people. Some Plains tribes associated thunderbirds with the summer season (in Arapaho mythology, Thunderbird was the opposing force to White Owl, who represented winter.)

Thunderbirds are also used as clan animals in some Native American cultures. Tribes with Thunderbird Clans include the Kwakiutl and Ho-Chunk tribes. On the Northwest Coast, the thunderbird symbol is often used as a totem pole crest.
To read actual legends of Thunderbird check the link under the spoiler.

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.
Darkkstar
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Darkkstar »

these are awesome! I've got a couple of pairs already.
Please click:

ImageImageImageImage

Thank you!
DarkRider
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by DarkRider »

VilaWolf wrote:Be very careful with Thunderbird.
This is one of those things you have to do right; to honor Thunderbird is a wonderful thing.

Just... keep in mind that we're touching on deeply held cultural beliefs with him.
Spoiler

Native names: Wakinyan (Sioux), Animikii (Anishinaabe), Boh'ooo or Etcitane:bate (Arapaho), Bha'a (Gros Ventre), Cigwe (Potawatomi), Enaemaehkiw/Inaemehkiwak (Menominee)
Related figures in other tribes: Thunders (Iroquois), Thunder Beings (Lenape), Thunderers (Cherokee)

The Thunderbird is a widespread figure in Native American mythology, particularly among Midwestern, Plains, and Northwest Coast tribes. Thunderbird is described as an enormous bird (according to many Northwestern tribes, large enough to carry a killer whale in its talons as an eagle carries a fish) who is responsible for the sound of thunder (and in some cases lightning as well.) Different Native American communities had different traditions regarding the Thunderbird. In some tribes, Thunderbirds are considered extremely sacred forces of nature, while in others, they are treated like powerful but otherwise ordinary members of the animal kingdom. In Gros Ventre tradition, it was Thunderbird (Bha'a) who gave the sacred pipe to the people. Some Plains tribes associated thunderbirds with the summer season (in Arapaho mythology, Thunderbird was the opposing force to White Owl, who represented winter.)

Thunderbirds are also used as clan animals in some Native American cultures. Tribes with Thunderbird Clans include the Kwakiutl and Ho-Chunk tribes. On the Northwest Coast, the thunderbird symbol is often used as a totem pole crest.
Yeah I was thinking of this when I saw these, I really like them, but this could go in the wrong direction very quickly if not handled with care.
ImageImage Image
Don't take artwork thanks!Avatar by Munin thank you!Tulcadhiel made Fox! Thank you!
MSolara
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by MSolara »

DarkRider wrote:

Spoiler

Yeah I was thinking of this when I saw these, I really like them, but this could go in the wrong direction very quickly if not handled with care.
:derp: we already have Quetzalcoatls and Tenera Dogs, which may also... touch a sensitive fiber? In their respective cultures, and nothing ever happened with them. If anything, I view these birds as an awesome contemporary depiction of a figure of folklore. Don't really know how they could have handled these with more care than they did, seeing that they made a pretty accurate depiction of the bird itself (huge, powerful, noble) without touching any specific cultural reference (and sticking to MS universe.) It's not like they satirized them, or made a puny bird named "Thunderbird" in irony. Plus, the sprite is awesome.

Just my two cents. :D

That being said, I would love for them to take an Argentinian mythological creature or folklore story to turn into a creature here. *hint hint*
DC scroll.
Evergen Weyr: a Dragonrider's of Pern RP site :haha:
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

MSolara wrote:
DarkRider wrote:

Spoiler

:derp: we already have Quetzalcoatls and Tenera Dogs, which may also... touch a sensitive fiber? In their respective cultures, and nothing ever happened with them. If anything, I view these birds as an awesome contemporary depiction of a figure of folklore. Don't really know how they could have handled these with more care than they did, seeing that they made a pretty accurate depiction of the bird itself (huge, powerful, noble) without touching any specific cultural reference (and sticking to MS universe.) It's not like they satirized them, or made a puny bird named "Thunderbird" in irony. Plus, the sprite is awesome.

Just my two cents. :D

That being said, I would love for them to take an Argentinian mythological creature or folklore story to turn into a creature here. *hint hint*
Okay, I did not know thunderbirds were literal gods in some tribes' mythology :derp: This...might be a little insensitive, then? Especially given the bit in the description about how thunderbirds can be used as mounts? That said, MS manages to skirt a lot of issues by being set in an entirely separate universe from this one, so the tone of a lot of creatures taken from other cultures doesn't feel appropriative. But just because no one complained about creatures before doesn't automatically mean this one also isn't a problem. And while I think the sprite is freaking awesome, that doesn't mean it's okay if someone else thinks the name/description is insensitive towards their culture.

tl;dr I think only someone who belongs to the culture thunderbirds come from can decide whether this is respectful or not.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

Kestrad wrote:
Okay, I did not know thunderbirds were literal gods in some tribes' mythology :derp: This...might be a little insensitive, then? Especially given the bit in the description about how thunderbirds can be used as mounts? That said, MS manages to skirt a lot of issues by being set in an entirely separate universe from this one, so the tone of a lot of creatures taken from other cultures doesn't feel appropriative. But just because no one complained about creatures before doesn't automatically mean this one also isn't a problem. And while I think the sprite is freaking awesome, that doesn't mean it's okay if someone else thinks the name/description is insensitive towards their culture.

tl;dr I think only someone who belongs to the culture thunderbirds come from can decide whether this is respectful or not.
I cannot say if it is or isn't, that's not my place. I'm just a part-time Folklorist.

My first thought when I was the adult sprites was that is was pretty damn cool. Seriously great work by the artists.
My second thought went immediately to an interview I saw of a Native American school teacher talking about having to explain California's 140+ school level (primary/elementary up to local colleges) Native "inspired" sports mascots to her students, all of whom are themselves Natives.

Given the wide range of Tribes and how their stories are different depending on the culture - some do consider Thunderbirds to be just another natural animal in the world, if an extremly large part of nature. You can best see those differences in the various depictions. Other do consider him to the one of the Great Nature Spirits.

For just a couple:
Spoiler
Which is why I said in my initial post -- to honor -- Thunderbird is a great thing. But it has to be done with care and in respect to the People who hold this story in their heart.

It's kind of the first rule any Folklorist learns: (and why I'm most oft posting Rage!Salad when an event goes too far) Retelling a story keeps it alive in the mind and in the heart and lets us pass it along to the next generation -- but only if we remember that when telling the story.

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.

Return to “Community Discussion”