Aggressiveness in Dogs

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: Aggressiveness in Dogs

Post by Rosehill »

DragonMando wrote:They also only very rarely turn without reason, those being the same reasons as any other dog would. Examples being previous abuse, being startled, improper or nonexistent socialization, or being led to believe they are the alpha dog, not their human.
Regarding the bolded part: the alpha myth has been disproven ages ago. My post a couple of pages back elaborates on the matter.
DragonMando wrote: A Threatened Dog Often Bites
Never run from or scream at a dog.
Do not challenge the dog by staring it right in the eye.
Be as still as possible if approached by an unfamiliar dog.
If a dog knocks you over, roll into a ball and stay still.
I strongly disagree with the bolded point. In dog body language freezing i.e. standing completely still is a threatening or a warning sign. If an unfamiliar dog approaches you the best thing to do would be to turn sideways to the dog and keep own movements and body language relaxed and to remember to breath normally (or mostly, not holding the breath).

I find this post by Sophia Yin about greeting dogs quite informative:
http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/preve ... s-properly

She has a ton of other wonderful behaviour and training resources as well. Anyone interested should check them out if they haven't already. ^_^
DragonMando
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by DragonMando »

Thanks for the correction on the stillness point, though with personal experience of dogs I'd owned for their full lifetimes behaving as alpha over me I'd like more sources on that point, if you don't mind ^^' (Note: these were large dogs my parents got when I was five and seven years old so I was physically incapable of being dominant for the first couple years).
Wolfsister
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wolfsister »

Rosehill wrote:
DragonMando wrote:They also only very rarely turn without reason, those being the same reasons as any other dog would. Examples being previous abuse, being startled, improper or nonexistent socialization, or being led to believe they are the alpha dog, not their human.
Regarding the bolded part: the alpha myth has been disproven ages ago. My post a couple of pages back elaborates on the matter.
Hm, I didn't know about the alpha thing being disproven...with my last dog, the trainer had specifically told us that it was an issue. When she got too dominant, we were supposed to make her roll over, lean over her, and stare her down until she looked away. It certainly seemed to work, and it never bothered her; she would huff and be annoyed with me, then behave for a little while.

I will mention that I was only in 3rd grade when we got her, and it was usually me that she tried to control, not so much my parents or older sibling. From what we know, and the people we've talked to, her behavior was pretty normal for an Airedale--she decided when she was going to listen to us or not regardless of the consequences. It wasn't a matter of training, just a smart and active dog that got bored easily. I admit that she did sometimes do 'bad' things for attention, but it was always very clear when she did: if she was doing something for attention and not just for the heck of it she acted differently. For example, she often got in serious trouble for taking things from tables, and if she really wanted it she would take it as fast as she could and then try to hide from the evidence when we found out. If she wanted attention, she would take something like a used kleenex off the coffee table, watch you until she was sure you saw her, then drop it right there and run instead of holding on to it. In those cases she did get the attention she wanted, because we mostly treated it as a game, but she would always stop as soon as we told her to. If she had taken something for herself, she would continue running and try to keep it from us, to the point that she would give a serious growl and bare her teeth (though she never once followed up on the warning). That was very well known to be unacceptable behavior, and that was the type of situation where we used the above technique.

With our current puppy, we don't have dominance issues, but he definitely seems to treat my father as an alpha. He has never had a hand raised against him in our house (though he is a puppy mill rescue), and my dad will get down on the floor with him the same as all of us, but whenever he tries to give the pup a little attention it practically slithers to him on the ground with frequent stops to roll over and bare its belly. We've never had a dog do that before, rescue or not, but this is also the first male dog we've ever had.

In any case, with nothing but limited personal experience to go on I would never try to say that studies are wrong, but I certainly do think that the existence of an "alpha/dominance issue" is at least somewhat dependent on the dog. Maybe it seems to be so clearly in existence to me because we tend to get dogs with absolutely huge personalities, who are too smart for their own good.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

DragonMando wrote:Thanks for the correction on the stillness point, though with personal experience of dogs I'd owned for their full lifetimes behaving as alpha over me I'd like more sources on that point, if you don't mind ^^' (Note: these were large dogs my parents got when I was five and seven years old so I was physically incapable of being dominant for the first couple years).
The over ten links to different articles in the post I linked are not enough sources on the dominance issue? :wat:

Here are some more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sophia-yi ... 04482.html
http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/caninedominance
More can be found from this page: http://4pawsuniversity.com/articles.htm if you scroll down somewhat and check the links under the heading "Dominance".
Wolfsister wrote:Hm, I didn't know about the alpha thing being disproven...with my last dog, the trainer had specifically told us that it was an issue. When she got too dominant, we were supposed to make her roll over, lean over her, and stare her down until she looked away. It certainly seemed to work, and it never bothered her; she would huff and be annoyed with me, then behave for a little while.
The reason why the dominance and alpha talk is so prevailing is that it seems to work. But in most cases if the dog is manhandled, rolled over, growled at etc. when he misbehaves he just becomes too scared to do the misbehaving again, he's being supressed and, not really taught anything else than to be wary of his owners. If all you want is the misbehaving to stop, then of course the dominance based methods have done their job. The dog's inner state hasn't changed for the better however. If the dog is intimidated into supressing the "bad" behaviour he's still scared and worried inside. He hasn't learned what he should do, only what he should not do. (For exaple if you were learning to dance and the instructor kept poking you on the side with a stick every time you did something "wrong", do you think you'd learn fast with that what you should do? How about if the instructor instead praised you for when you did the correct thing? You'd know immediately what it was that was wanted from you.) The training methods that are based on more recent studies use positive reinforcement, i.e. rewarding the dog for doing the right thing. This method tells the dog exactly what is the behaviour he should be doing. As dogs learn in two ways: to do thing that are beneficial to them and to avoid things that are not beneficial or are harmful to them. If a dog learns that he gets a treat every time he lays down, he's bound to start laying down more often. After all that's the behaviour that's made good things happen before. If the dog is pushed to the down position or pulled from the leash and yelled at or leash popped when he rises the thing he learns is that rising makes things uncomfortable so better lay down. When laying down bad things weren't happening so I'll do that instead. He's choosing the lesser evil.
Wolfsister wrote: I will mention that I was only in 3rd grade when we got her, and it was usually me that she tried to control, not so much my parents or older sibling. From what we know, and the people we've talked to, her behavior was pretty normal for an Airedale--she decided when she was going to listen to us or not regardless of the consequences. It wasn't a matter of training, just a smart and active dog that got bored easily. I admit that she did sometimes do 'bad' things for attention, but it was always very clear when she did: if she was doing something for attention and not just for the heck of it she acted differently. For example, she often got in serious trouble for taking things from tables, and if she really wanted it she would take it as fast as she could and then try to hide from the evidence when we found out. If she wanted attention, she would take something like a used kleenex off the coffee table, watch you until she was sure you saw her, then drop it right there and run instead of holding on to it. In those cases she did get the attention she wanted, because we mostly treated it as a game, but she would always stop as soon as we told her to. If she had taken something for herself, she would continue running and try to keep it from us, to the point that she would give a serious growl and bare her teeth (though she never once followed up on the warning). That was very well known to be unacceptable behavior, and that was the type of situation where we used the above technique.
She probably noticed you were easy to get to do things your way. Take for excample begging from a table. If person A never gives anything from his plate to the dog but person B on occasion does the dog is more prone to beg from person B, because he has been rewarded, reinforced, for that behaviour. He has never been reinforced for the behaviour by person A so he'll not try, because it hasn't been beneficial for him in the past. Dogs take several things as reinforcements, my own shepherd gets reinforced by me just glancing at him as he's a little velcro dog that lives for attention. If he can't get my attentnion by pawing my leg he'll try something else. I can then decide which is the behaviour I want to reinforce and can glance at him, praise him, pet him or treat him e.g. when he sits. As time goes by and more repetitions of the same pattern go by he'll be sitting earlier on the process and eventually catches on that sitting is the way to go to get what he wants. The process can be sped up with a clicker or some other marker to mark the excact correct behaviour so the dog will know which was the thing that got him the reward this time. The terrier got reinforced for "stealing" the kleenex. If you'd ignored it from the start she'd probably pretty quickly stopped and come up with something else that might've gotten your attention. :lol:

The growling after stealing something of value is a typical resource guarding behaviour, not dominance. Growling and lunging are the dog's way to say "this is mine, stay away, I'm afraid you'll take away my precius thing". If the thing is then taken away, the dog starts to anticipate that her precious thing will be taken away and tries to hide or defend her loot even more fiercely. Training the dog a solid "drop it" by exchanging her things for even better things, rewarding her when she let's go of something and never making a big fuss about the exchange teaches her that it's natural to let go of things and when she gives up something she'll get something even more awesome instead, so it's beneficial to let go of the thing she's got.
Wolfsister wrote: In any case, with nothing but limited personal experience to go on I would never try to say that studies are wrong, but I certainly do think that the existence of an "alpha/dominance issue" is at least somewhat dependent on the dog. Maybe it seems to be so clearly in existence to me because we tend to get dogs with absolutely huge personalities, who are too smart for their own good.
I'd be more inclined to say that instead of being dominant some dogs are more pushy, demanding, rude and confident. They don't aim to be the ruler of the pack or the king of the household. They push the limits and try to see what they can get away with. It's not dominance, it's just selfish behaviour. XD If I could get away with just surfing the net all day instead of doing my job at work I would. Dogs are somewhat the same, why do anything extra if you don't have to. And if some behaviour (e.g. jumping up on people, peeing on the floor, rushing through the door etc.) gets them what they want, theyäll keep doing it. The dogs are hedonistic beings living in the moment and they will act based on what's most beneficial or least harmful for them on any given moment.
Wolfsister wrote: With our current puppy, we don't have dominance issues, but he definitely seems to treat my father as an alpha. He has never had a hand raised against him in our house (though he is a puppy mill rescue), and my dad will get down on the floor with him the same as all of us, but whenever he tries to give the pup a little attention it practically slithers to him on the ground with frequent stops to roll over and bare its belly. We've never had a dog do that before, rescue or not, but this is also the first male dog we've ever had.
To me that behaviour sounds like a normal puppy appeasement behaviour, not a dominance/alpha thing. Men tend to be larger and have lower voices than females so depending on the dog he can take a better liking of the man because the man seems to be confident (i.e. know what he's doing, a person worth to be around, the dad figure, not a dominant leader) or the flip side is that some dogs are intimidated by the males and roll over, sometimes pee and show other signs of appeasement because they are unsure if the person is dangerous and they are offering peace signals to keep the situation mellow. If your dog is also trying to lick your father's face, wiggles his whole little body and sort of "growels" for him, those are some other good signs that he's going something along the lines of "oh, but I'm a little puppy and I'm a little worried about the situation but see as I'm just a puppy there's no need to do anything bad to me and I like you so much but I can't quite control myself". ^_^
DragonMando
CreaturesTrade

Post by DragonMando »

Personal experience trumps Internet is why :sweat:

Not all dogs respond to positive reinforcement--most of the dogs I've handled don't. It may be because most of my experience was with rescue dogs who were 2-6 years old with zero training whatsoever, but I've only had one dog in my custody that had even partial success with positive reinforcement. I tried everything, treats, clickers, stroking, read book after book on training from the library, watched videos, took classes, nothing worked on most of them except using their own behaviours--good and bad.

The dog I had most success with was trained with a blend of positive reinforcement and repetitive alpha positioning from the beginning, rather than starting with positive reinforcement for the first several weeks and then adding in other techniques. She was also the most willful. If she disobeyed, I growled as a warning. If she did it again obviously knowingly (like stealing food when her bowl with her own food was right there), I would growl louder. And yes, I have bitten her ear. Only once, but from that single time on, she listened every time I growled like another dog would.

When she was good, I would do all the positive reinforcement things I had learned, but again, I have never once had a successful dog where positive reinforcement was the only thing I've tried. All ended up requiring a bit of both methods before they successfully learned. However, I have never forced a dog down or beaten them. I only use physical methods I regularly see in other dogs as fairly minor warnings.
Rosehill
Coder
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

For other than internet resources (though I would find position statements by highly respected veterinary and training facilities quite solid) you can check books by Patricia McConnel, Jane Killion, Leslie McDevitt, Jean Donaldson, Pat Miller, Pamela Dennison, Victoria Schade, Emma Parsons, Karen Pryor, Sophia Yin, Nicole Wilde, Grisha Stewart, Suzanne Chlotier and Ian Dunbar to name a few.

May I ask which authors or books you read? (I'm a big bookworm and dog training books are my guilty pleasure so I'm always on the lookout for more of those. XD)

If a dog is not responding to positive reinforcement there is something that is not right with using it. It could either be the value of the reward, it could be the timing, it could be the rate of reinforcement or it could be the direction of the reward. It could also be that the dog is so highly aroused or already reacting in a situation that it cannot concentrate on anything else than what's causing the reaction.

For example if a dog was severely aggressive towards other dogs, started snarling, lunging and snapping every time he even got a sniff of the other dog, he would not be able to e.g. eat if he was already over-threshold i.e. reacting. In a situation like that if positive punishment (e.g. a pinch in the ear or scaring the dog with a can full of pennies etc.) is used the most common thing that happens is that the behaviour seems to stop, but in actuality the underlying emotion doesn't. The dog is still scared or frustrated or angry, or something else, whichever caused the aggression. Because of the punishment he got for reacting he's just too scared to react again for the fear of getting a new punishment. He's choosing the lesser evil.

How I would start making the situation better would be to find the dog's limit: what is the trigger that makes him react. Is it a dog within 100 feet? Fine, let's start training with the other dog, i.e. trigger, at 110 feet so that the aggressive dog doesn't react but can see the other dog. Then I'd either give the aggressive dog treats in such a fast rate that he would not have time to concentrate on the other dog. Once he'd be happy and relaxed in the situation I'd bring the trigger dog a little bit closer, not so close that the aggressive dog would react, though, just a little bit. Then I'd rinse and repeat the process, always bringing the trigger closer once the dog in training could handle it. The point would be to try to change the dog's underlying emotional state from the original triggering emotion to a better and calmer one so that'd he'd start associating the other dog with good things instead of bad. Once he has a neutral of a good feeling about the other dog he has no reason to react any more. Another method that could be implemented at the same time would be to make looking at the trigger dog a game for the aggressive one. He'd get a reward every time he looked at the trigger dog, thus making him associate that other dogs are a cue for him to do a certain behaviour and get a reward for it. Many trainers train severe aggression cases and other problem behaviours this way with excellent results.
Here's one example what helping an aggressive dog to overcome the aggression could look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI13v9JgJu0

The problem with using dog-like behaviours on dogs is that humans are not dogs and dogs know humans are not dogs so mimicking something another dog would do with all the finess and subtleties of dog body language is quite impossible for humans just because we are a different species with different body structure and different hard-wired mannerisms.

I don't use only positive reinforcement myself. I also use negative punishment, i.e. the dog loses the opportunity to earn a reward. For instance if a dog jumps up on you, his motivation to do so would most likely be to get attention from you. If you turn your back to him it's negative punishment. Once he settles down you can turn around and pet him to tell him with positive reinforcement what he does at that moment is something that gets him what he wants.
DragonMando
CreaturesTrade

Post by DragonMando »

Rosehill wrote:For other than internet resources (though I would find position statements by highly respected veterinary and training facilities quite solid) you can check books by Patricia McConnel, Jane Killion, Leslie McDevitt, Jean Donaldson, Pat Miller, Pamela Dennison, Victoria Schade, Emma Parsons, Karen Pryor, Sophia Yin, Nicole Wilde, Grisha Stewart, Suzanne Chlotier and Ian Dunbar to name a few.

May I ask which authors or books you read? (I'm a big bookworm and dog training books are my guilty pleasure so I'm always on the lookout for more of those. XD)

If a dog is not responding to positive reinforcement there is something that is not right with using it. It could either be the value of the reward, it could be the timing, it could be the rate of reinforcement or it could be the direction of the reward. It could also be that the dog is so highly aroused or already reacting in a situation that it cannot concentrate on anything else than what's causing the reaction.

For example if a dog was severely aggressive towards other dogs, started snarling, lunging and snapping every time he even got a sniff of the other dog, he would not be able to e.g. eat if he was already over-threshold i.e. reacting. In a situation like that if positive punishment (e.g. a pinch in the ear or scaring the dog with a can full of pennies etc.) is used the most common thing that happens is that the behaviour seems to stop, but in actuality the underlying emotion doesn't. The dog is still scared or frustrated or angry, or something else, whichever caused the aggression. Because of the punishment he got for reacting he's just too scared to react again for the fear of getting a new punishment. He's choosing the lesser evil.

How I would start making the situation better would be to find the dog's limit: what is the trigger that makes him react. Is it a dog within 100 feet? Fine, let's start training with the other dog, i.e. trigger, at 110 feet so that the aggressive dog doesn't react but can see the other dog. Then I'd either give the aggressive dog treats in such a fast rate that he would not have time to concentrate on the other dog. Once he'd be happy and relaxed in the situation I'd bring the trigger dog a little bit closer, not so close that the aggressive dog would react, though, just a little bit. Then I'd rinse and repeat the process, always bringing the trigger closer once the dog in training could handle it. The point would be to try to change the dog's underlying emotional state from the original triggering emotion to a better and calmer one so that'd he'd start associating the other dog with good things instead of bad. Once he has a neutral of a good feeling about the other dog he has no reason to react any more. Another method that could be implemented at the same time would be to make looking at the trigger dog a game for the aggressive one. He'd get a reward every time he looked at the trigger dog, thus making him associate that other dogs are a cue for him to do a certain behaviour and get a reward for it. Many trainers train severe aggression cases and other problem behaviours this way with excellent results.
Here's one example what helping an aggressive dog to overcome the aggression could look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI13v9JgJu0

The problem with using dog-like behaviours on dogs is that humans are not dogs and dogs know humans are not dogs so mimicking something another dog would do with all the finess and subtleties of dog body language is quite impossible for humans just because we are a different species with different body structure and different hard-wired mannerisms.

I don't use only positive reinforcement myself. I also use negative punishment, i.e. the dog loses the opportunity to earn a reward. For instance if a dog jumps up on you, his motivation to do so would most likely be to get attention from you. If you turn your back to him it's negative punishment. Once he settles down you can turn around and pet him to tell him with positive reinforcement what he does at that moment is something that gets him what he wants.
Your trigger example is exactly what I had been attempting, almost word for word. An example: a bird dog living on a farm had a habit of going after chickens. If it could see a chicken or even hear one it was too late. It would ignore all treats and toys, event things like warm steak and chicken which should have had any dog drooling even if it's not the smartest thing to treat with. Even my mimicking a chicken's clucking would have it freezing then trying to find the bird, but once it would finally realize I was making the noise and realized there was no bird, I at least had somewhere to start with.

Logic might say growling and mimicry doesn't work, but in my case it does.

As for authours, I haven't read or trained since starting college, so I really only remember one trainer's video series: The Woodhouse Way. It's a British training video class. I need to start again though, as my aunt just got a new pup and she's already doing everything you shouldn't >_<

edit: what is with my wording tonight o_O
Wolfsister
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wolfsister »

Rosehill wrote: The reason why the dominance and alpha talk is so prevailing is that it seems to work. But in most cases if the dog is manhandled, rolled over, growled at etc. when he misbehaves he just becomes too scared to do the misbehaving again, he's being supressed and, not really taught anything else than to be wary of his owners. If all you want is the misbehaving to stop, then of course the dominance based methods have done their job. The dog's inner state hasn't changed for the better however. If the dog is intimidated into supressing the "bad" behaviour he's still scared and worried inside. He hasn't learned what he should do, only what he should not do. (For exaple if you were learning to dance and the instructor kept poking you on the side with a stick every time you did something "wrong", do you think you'd learn fast with that what you should do? How about if the instructor instead praised you for when you did the correct thing? You'd know immediately what it was that was wanted from you.) The training methods that are based on more recent studies use positive reinforcement, i.e. rewarding the dog for doing the right thing. This method tells the dog exactly what is the behaviour he should be doing. As dogs learn in two ways: to do thing that are beneficial to them and to avoid things that are not beneficial or are harmful to them. If a dog learns that he gets a treat every time he lays down, he's bound to start laying down more often. After all that's the behaviour that's made good things happen before. If the dog is pushed to the down position or pulled from the leash and yelled at or leash popped when he rises the thing he learns is that rising makes things uncomfortable so better lay down. When laying down bad things weren't happening so I'll do that instead. He's choosing the lesser evil.
With regards to training, I will repeat that she was fully trained with normal procedures, the majority of which were positive reinforcement. She got treats for being good, and got extra perks, and at least while she was young we always avoided yelling or using the crate as punishment. But once she understood the boundaries and knew what she needed to do--and she did understand, because she could be perfectly behaved when she wanted to be--she didn't care anymore. She knew that being good would get her a treat or attention--but she knew whether we had food or not, and our attention did not always interest her. This in particular is not meant to be a statement about attempted dominance--this is just an attempt to describe her personality. I know that there are plenty of theories on this, and I'm sure that it can be explained, but it was my personal sense that it would not have mattered how we trained her. In order to keep her from trying to take control from us, we would have had to break her.

But back to dominance: I know that those methods are cast out because of the dog's mental state, but I honestly do not believe that they had any negative impact on this one. I would never try it with a dog who responded with fear, though I know the argument will be that I could not tell. I can only say that I never noticed any difference in behavior other than a long-suffering type of indulgence for a limited period of time. But, as mentioned, I cannot think of any reason why she would have thought she could get away with bullying me any more than anyone else. Nothing about it was particularly forceful--when I say that we 'made' her do something, I do not necessarily mean that we used physical force. The attitude is what was more forceful. *Edited to clarify, since my last post did mention rolling her over: I suppose if she refused we were supposed to get her down by physical force, it just never came to that that I can remember. The changed attitude and refusal to back down got her to lay down when told, and the stare lasted until she turned away and relaxed her position. Seems like a bit of mixed signals, but that's what we were taught* Normally, we would expect a trained dog to obey when we state a command that they know. She didn't. A nice approach, perhaps with promise of something good, might work sometimes, but more often she dug her heels in. Therein lies the problem. I don't know that I am doing justice to my perceptions, but I do not think the same type of issue would arise with most dogs. I don't know that I've ever met another dog with the same type of spirit before. I admit that we treat our dogs more like children than pets the majority of the time, just with more rules and more strictly enforced, and thus are rather biased. But this particular dog always acted more like a young child than any other dog we had experience with. And the purpose of these statements is to further enforce that I personally believe the attitudes and belying state of mind vary uniquely for each dog, and that some very well might act out dominance, if in a way more similar to an older sibling than a stereotypical pack animal.

On an unrelated note, I find the dance teacher reference amusing, because that is exactly how several of my dance teachers taught. If you aren't balanced, they try to knock you over. If your leg needs straightening, they knock it with a stick to see if it buckles. :lol:
Rosehill wrote: She probably noticed you were easy to get to do things your way. Take for excample begging from a table. If person A never gives anything from his plate to the dog but person B on occasion does the dog is more prone to beg from person B, because he has been rewarded, reinforced, for that behaviour. He has never been reinforced for the behaviour by person A so he'll not try, because it hasn't been beneficial for him in the past. Dogs take several things as reinforcements, my own shepherd gets reinforced by me just glancing at him as he's a little velcro dog that lives for attention. If he can't get my attentnion by pawing my leg he'll try something else. I can then decide which is the behaviour I want to reinforce and can glance at him, praise him, pet him or treat him e.g. when he sits. As time goes by and more repetitions of the same pattern go by he'll be sitting earlier on the process and eventually catches on that sitting is the way to go to get what he wants. The process can be sped up with a clicker or some other marker to mark the excact correct behaviour so the dog will know which was the thing that got him the reward this time. The terrier got reinforced for "stealing" the kleenex. If you'd ignored it from the start she'd probably pretty quickly stopped and come up with something else that might've gotten your attention. :lol:

The growling after stealing something of value is a typical resource guarding behaviour, not dominance. Growling and lunging are the dog's way to say "this is mine, stay away, I'm afraid you'll take away my precius thing". If the thing is then taken away, the dog starts to anticipate that her precious thing will be taken away and tries to hide or defend her loot even more fiercely. Training the dog a solid "drop it" by exchanging her things for even better things, rewarding her when she let's go of something and never making a big fuss about the exchange teaches her that it's natural to let go of things and when she gives up something she'll get something even more awesome instead, so it's beneficial to let go of the thing she's got.
While I fully understand what you are saying, it does not fit with any experiences I had with this dog; hence my statement that I do personally believe dominance is a factor for some. With regards to the first point: All members of the family were on the same page with what was and was not allowed, and we all followed the same behavior. I never gave in to anything that someone else in the family wouldn't, so to me there is no reason included here that she would try intimidation and force with me and not the other members of my family. We got her as a puppy straight from a good, reputable breeder, so as far as I know there was no experience before us that would encourage that distinction. But once she was grown, I was not bigger than her, and by family interactions she witnessed I would understand if she saw me as more on her level for no better reason than that I was the bottom of the food chain.

And yeah, we had a clicker--it had absolutely no effect past the first week or so. The trainer was really set on that, so we kept on trying it, but nothing. And like I said, once she got past the training stage rewards didn't help. We couldn't keep giving her a treat for everything she did right for the nine years we had with her, and she didn't care too much if we praised her when it meant she hadn't gotten something she wanted. She knew all the commands and what was expected of her; she just never seemed like the type of dog who works to please its masters.

With my previous example of stealing: I recognize that in the lesser case it was a reinforced behavior. That was actually what I was trying to get at--the difference between what was established as OK, whether purposefully or not, and the things that were never okay recognized as such. Stealing the kleenex was playful. Stealing food was willful. In the first case, everything was dandy. In the second case, she knew it was wrong, knew what the potential rewards or consequences were, and did not care because she would rather make her own definition of what she could do.

As far as the issue with possessiveness: I agree with the idea that dogs don't like it when you take things away (yes, this is an uber simplified dumbed down version). We did our best to make it clear that we would not take what was hers. What we were taught to do when she showed that hint of aggression was to take what she had slowly, hold it in plain sight until she stopped, and then hand it back to her and let her take it from our hand.

Perhaps this was not the best example of what I was trying to say, but I'll try (and perhaps fail, since I myself am not entirely sure of what I was trying to say) to clarify: It was OK for her to take her own toys. In this case we tried to encourage her to trust us so that she would not act aggressively if people came near her--we knew she would not bite, but strangers did not. We could also tell the difference between her play growl and her serious growl--strangers could not. It was not OK to take what was not hers. In this case her possessiveness was not tolerated, because the thing she tried to keep from us did not belong to her. She took from us, and where we gave back her things, she was not giving back ours.
Rosehill wrote: I'd be more inclined to say that instead of being dominant some dogs are more pushy, demanding, rude and confident. They don't aim to be the ruler of the pack or the king of the household. They push the limits and try to see what they can get away with. It's not dominance, it's just selfish behaviour. XD If I could get away with just surfing the net all day instead of doing my job at work I would. Dogs are somewhat the same, why do anything extra if you don't have to. And if some behaviour (e.g. jumping up on people, peeing on the floor, rushing through the door etc.) gets them what they want, theyäll keep doing it. The dogs are hedonistic beings living in the moment and they will act based on what's most beneficial or least harmful for them on any given moment.
And in this case, I think we are defining dominance in a different way. By saying that she was trying to assert dominance, I mean precisely that she was pushing boundaries to see how she could get her way. But somewhere in there, she seems to have realized that she doesn't have to just push the boundaries, she can break them. If she wants to do something, she can do it, and all we can do is get upset. If she was in a mood to please us, she had no trouble controlling herself. Yes, misbehaving got her what she wanted--because the gratification was a greater reward than we could give her for not doing it. There needed to be some level of enforcement beyond reward and punishment, or there would no longer be any reason to behave. Our new terrier occasionally has short-lived bursts of this, but it doesn't have the same feel. Where our Airedale made it obvious that she could make the connections between behavior and reward/punishment, he doesn't seem to recognize it at all. He gets too caught up in whatever he's doing to even realize that we're there with him. I would not try to use dominance tactics on him, because I feel that it would scare him, and that he would not make the immediate connection between our sudden change in attitude and his behavior. He also has not been trained yet beyond simple commands and what he picks up from our normal responses (we tried to get him into a class but he was having trouble fighting off worms at the time, and since I am not at home for the majority of the time I have no control over when it gets picked up again). Since a rewards system has not been a tried and failed process with him, I see no reason to try anything different.
Rosehill wrote: To me that behaviour sounds like a normal puppy appeasement behaviour, not a dominance/alpha thing. Men tend to be larger and have lower voices than females so depending on the dog he can take a better liking of the man because the man seems to be confident (i.e. know what he's doing, a person worth to be around, the dad figure, not a dominant leader) or the flip side is that some dogs are intimidated by the males and roll over, sometimes pee and show other signs of appeasement because they are unsure if the person is dangerous and they are offering peace signals to keep the situation mellow. If your dog is also trying to lick your father's face, wiggles his whole little body and sort of "growels" for him, those are some other good signs that he's going something along the lines of "oh, but I'm a little puppy and I'm a little worried about the situation but see as I'm just a puppy there's no need to do anything bad to me and I like you so much but I can't quite control myself". ^_^
Again, I think that I just use dominance to mean something different than you do, most likely because I do not make a habit of reading up on these things and using correct terminology. I have no recent background with this type of study and prefer explain things in the way that make sense to me. When I say that our new puppy is treating the head of the house as an alpha, I mean that he makes more of an attempt to please with him than with the rest of us. Just like there is no reason I can think of for our Airedale to treat me differently at first, there is no reason I can think of that the new dog would treat my father differently. The idea that he sees him as in some way above the rest of us, as a 'dad figure' is synonymous to me with seeing him as an alpha. That the puppy might be a "little worried about the situation" implies to me that there is something about the strong male figure that makes him worried, and I would define this in my own way of thinking as an alpha factor.

I think the main difference we have here in opinion comes from that definition of dominance/alpha (though I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so please correct me if I am wrong). I don't mean to compare dog-human interactions to dog-dog interactions, which I have little chance to observe or learn about. Instead I tend to describe things in terms of adult-child human interactions, where dominance becomes a desire to arrange things in your way and a stubbornness against compromise, while alpha becomes a term for the parent, who makes and enforces the rules whether you recognize them as above you or not.

-----------------------------
Sorry for the lengthiness of this post and any repetition--I lost track of where I was at several points. Hopefully it's somewhat understandable, but I have my doubts considering the general mushiness of my brain right now.
NimueKiamana
CreaturesTrade

Post by NimueKiamana »

Here's the thing.
I've spent my whole life working with dogs, I was raised around dogs, I have family who breed show dogs, my first job was working with my mother who's a vet. So I've seen the best and worst of almost every breed out there and the thing about those fighting and guard breeds is that they have been bred to be aggressive, they are that way because it's in their genes.
I'm not saying anything against them, all those 'bully breeds' have been bred this way. They can be perfectly fine dogs and never have a problem in their lives, but those aren't common. With these breeds there's always that chance that they'll loose it and attack something or someone. I'v known more then one instance where and pit bull or a rottweiler or something has lived with cats or smaller dogs it's whole life and never so much as looked twice at them then suddenly it's gotten up out of the blue and eaten the cat or the small dog or attacked the neighbors.
But it's not all on the dog, the better socialized the dog is as a puppy the less likely this stuff is. You can't make any of these dogs bomb-proof safe but you can make them better. A well socialized puppy that has been raised by a firm hand that knows dogs, no matter what it's breed is, is likely to be a wonderful dog. And this is a big player in the dog aggression issues, bad socializing. Which is so important and so badly understood.
The other big factor is dominance, with all breeds, a dominate dog is going to harder to handle then a submissive one. That's how it works. Which is why if you're ever picking a puppy from a litter you find the one you like, pull it aside and flip it over on it's back and hold it gently on the ground like that. They will struggle and cry and make it sound like you're killing them but you're not doing any harm. You're doing exactly what their mom and any other dogs around them will do to establish dominance, the sooner the puppy stops crying and struggling the more submissive they are and the easier to handle they'll be. This is always what you want to do with new puppies, make it clear your boss and make sure that they remember that as the grow, but not enough people know that and then they can't control their dogs and you start getting aggression issues. Heck, I've seen Labradors that are aggressive because their owner never knew how to handle or socialize them as puppies. Because a dog that is challenging you for control is a dog that going to growl and lunge and never listen to you and that gets dangerous. Vets get hurt every year and hurt bad because of these improperly handled dominate dogs.
With some dogs like that all it takes is a light smack on the chin and a sharp no and they straighten up and fly right while others you have to repeatedly and sternly discipline to straighten them out. And then there are those who just never improve or that their owners just are not dominate enough to be able to put in line.
I am one of those people who is very dominate with dogs and all I have to do is give them a sharp look or a firm no and they're all butterflies and rainbows and wagging tails till I'm out of range and they're back to fighting with their owners for alpha. But that's not true of everyone.
I guess what I'm saying is know your breed. 'Bully breeds' are better for singles because they tend to be one person dogs that need a lot of attention and work while retrievers like Newfoundlands of Flat-coated Retrievers make great family dogs because they're calmer and naturally tolerant and friendly with the kind of soft mouths that mean that they have to work to actually cause anyone harm. Hounds and herders bother tend to be more single-person but they need a LOT of activity and focus to keep in line, hounds most of all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maria127
CreaturesTrade

Post by Maria127 »

I think that this is a very Controversial subject because eventhough us humans can think beyond the conseqence of the action taking place e.g a dog biting someone. In the dogs eyes you are higher in the pack e.g Alpha male, Alpha female. Also dogs can sense other peoples intentions and how their owner/Alpha is feeling and reacts accordingly. I know this because my nan had a Doberman and these aggresive and very imposing guys came to the door(I have no idea why they came to the door) they started shouting and the Doberman used its nose to quickly open the door(the dog was in the kitchin eating at the time) and rush to my nans side. And guess what the guys steped back and the dog didnt do anything except reasure my nan by being there. :cool: :aah:

you see this proves that dogs just want to protect their owner/Alpha they are smart. the Doberman was their to provide backup and resurence. Now i think all dogs are smart to a certin degree and not all are as smart as each other. the sneario could have played out differently but i don't think it would have because it depends on how you treat the dog. if your always herting it the dog will be reluctant to do anyting u say an will take the first chance to either run away or attack u or both. where as if u treat the dog with respect and kindness the dog will do what u say and be more willing to help u. :angel:

hope this helps a bit.
Please click ^^ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”