Why are dinosaurs so popular?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Namyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Why are dinosaurs so popular?

Post by Namyre »

ZezeDragon wrote:
GlassOctopus wrote:So I guess the real question here is what is cooler: dinosaurs or fantasy creatures?
I'd have to go with fantasy creatures. XD They are even more diverse than all the dinosaur species; we've got dragons, pegasi, gorgons, hydras, unicorns, et cetera. And what really makes them interesting is that, since they have never existed, we can make them look/act however we want when we write.
I am completely with you, ZezeDragon. Dragons are my favorite thing EVER.
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

Haha I can tell by your signature.
:t-pirate: ARRRG I'm a pirate! Click my eggs and you shall get some booty!!

My Mascot:Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZezeDragon
CreaturesTrade

Post by ZezeDragon »

Namyre wrote:
ZezeDragon wrote:
GlassOctopus wrote:So I guess the real question here is what is cooler: dinosaurs or fantasy creatures?
I'd have to go with fantasy creatures. XD They are even more diverse than all the dinosaur species; we've got dragons, pegasi, gorgons, hydras, unicorns, et cetera. And what really makes them interesting is that, since they have never existed, we can make them look/act however we want when we write.
I am completely with you, ZezeDragon. Dragons are my favorite thing EVER.
YESS I am being agreed with :D :roll:
For gender swap:Image - Need male
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

Haha everyone LOVES dragons. And I'm over here like...

T-Rex anyone?

BradTheMad
HS Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

Folks, please remember this is the HoS section and not the Popsicle stand. We'd like to see more than short one sentence replies. We do love friendly conversations but this section is meant more for in depth debates.

Just a friendly mod reminder, thanks.
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

Alright, because of the mod I shall make this statement longer than it needs to be (because of course the ongoing question of fantasy creatures or dinosaurs is almost life or death), I like fantasy creatures I really do, would I be playing this site if I didn't? But there has always been something about dinosaurs that holds my fascination; could it be that they are mysterious? Could it be that you can study them? Could it be that I love Jurassic Park? Regardless of the true reason, I prefer dinosaurs to mythical creatures mainly because I have always studied them and really enjoy the fact that they do, in fact, exist.

(a little off topic, but one year I went to Canada with my family to a place with a GIANT dinosaur museum and saw a "living" dinosaur. It just looked like a regular turtle to me but apparently it was a dinosaur).

Rory
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rory »

I think dinosaurs are so popular because there is so much left up to the imagination and speculation unlike many other areas of science. Sure, a lot of science is visualization and prediction, but the margin of uncertainty surrounding dinosaurs makes them quite mythical actually! PLUS THEIR SIZE IS AMAZING!!!
FOR THE GOLD!!!
ImageImageImageImage
GlassOctopus
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassOctopus »

Haha yes some dinosaurs were apparently huge (according to bones), but also I think about all the different insects (did you know there are 95 different species of mosquitoes in Alaska?) with those odds imagine how many there were hundreds over years ago! Plus I wonder if they were massively large or fairly moderate? And does anyone else find it odd that the large T-rex, king of the dinosaurs, did not survive, yet the tiny annoying cockroach did?

ZezeDragon
CreaturesTrade

Post by ZezeDragon »

Ah, the mighty Tyrannosaurus Rex, or tyrant lizard. And yet they were outlived by cockroaches, dragonflies, and horseshoe crabs.
Also, I agree with Rory, dinosaurs have less things known about them because they are no longer alive, and are therefore an imprecise branch of biology with much left to the imagination.
For gender swap:Image - Need male
ConjoinedWeasels
CreaturesTrade

Post by ConjoinedWeasels »

Ok ok, this is gonna sound kinda crazy.

I have this theory that not all dinosaurs were really dinosaurs. Think about it: a lot of them have bone structures similar to birds. Numerous cultures had legends of dragons before they even made contact with each other.

What if dragons were real? What if the wing bones simply disintegrated before the body was fossilized?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”