⋆ constellation hind + serpaen = starlight qilin ⋆

A Damaged Beastiary
salt
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

⋆ constellation hind + serpaen = starlight qilin ⋆

Post by salt »

i cant draw so descriptions will have to do </3
update: i still can't draw, but this is concept art. i am only doing this one bc this is Srs Application
Spoiler

NOW COMPLETE !!

⋆ general
Starlight qilins are the result of a chimeric union between constellation hinds and serpaens, and possess the best characteristics of both species. Should they wish to, they can move silently across the skies and over ground, though not through it like serpaens. The starlight in their name comes from their coats - fur that reflects the stars at night, a trait from their hind parent. They are wild and excitable steeds, but allow for a very swift and comfortable ride. They possess the magical abilities of both parents, which means that they are capable of breathing both fire and ice, though strangely possess no control over water. Qilins are not confrontational creatures, but if they or their magi are threatened, they become a truly terrifying opponent, capable of burning or freezing the area around them in mere seconds.

⋆ egg
This star-speckled egg has a long, slender tail edging out of a crack.

⋆ hatchling
Starlight qilin hatchlings are rambunctious and energetic, and become attached to their magi very easily. Extremely sociable, they are often found playing with other creatures, though it must be noted that they do pose a small danger to furniture with their sharp hooves. Their powers start to manifest around this stage, but all they can do is occasionally give off a puff smoke or frost from their nostrils in an attempt to amuse others. Qilin fawns are prone to running off on their own, and it takes a while before they make their way back to their owners.

⋆ adult
As they reach adulthood, starlight qilins grow into their truly majestic forms. Their thick manes turn into a bright silver, hardened scales form around their legs, and their tails are long and slender, allowing the qilin to run in a more streamlined fashion. Still, their most striking quality would be their impressive silver antlers, for which they are sadly often bred and culled. Older qilins are more reserved and less temperamental than hatchlings, though they possess the same social skills. In the wild, hinds favour their company more than the serpaens; however, though this is likely due to serpaens having a less friendly disposition with different creatures. Depending on which species of serpaen begets the qilin, there are several different colour varieties, with green, gold, and purple being amongst the most popular. Arcanum serpaens also pass on their singular horn to qilin offspring, though this does not seem to have any effect on their abilities.

author note: idk i just preferred the spelling of qilin over kirin
would like to thank slipstream for being a+ editor

studying HARD MAN
watching: myself procrastinate really hard
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

come shopping at the holy trinity xo

-------
selling lots of stuff | buying SB fire/ice kitsunes
ElementalNovel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: ⋆ constellation hind + serpaen = starlight qilin ⋆

Post by ElementalNovel »

Ooh, I like the idea of a more traditional qilin to contrast with the site's already existing kirins.
T I M S H E L ImageImageImageBut this- this is a ladder to climb to the stars...
I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul.
It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe.
It is always attacked and never destroyed— because "Thou mayest."
salt
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by salt »

ElementalNovel wrote:Ooh, I like the idea of a more traditional qilin to contrast with the site's already existing kirins.
thank you, means a lot ;; <3

studying HARD MAN
watching: myself procrastinate really hard
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

come shopping at the holy trinity xo

-------
selling lots of stuff | buying SB fire/ice kitsunes
Aflame
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Aflame »

a+ descriptions a+ sprites ladies and gents she does it all \o/

these are Good starry deer sneks
Image thank you for the amazing gifts <3Image
wishlist join the ms discord! my shop

Return to “February 2017 Monthly Contest”