[Earth] Appladae

Earth and Wind creature design contest
Piney
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

[Earth] Appladae

Post by Piney »

The Appladae is sometimes called an 'Apple Wyrm' because of the huge fruit-bearing tree on its back. An adult Appladae is commonly as big as a house although ancient Appladaes that have lived for centuries can be much larger. It has a stocky body structure, with a shorter neck and legs than most dragons. Its scales are made of stone and there are several gems embedded into its body, the largest one being the red one on its chest. It has two antlers made out of wood which may sprout leaves or even fruit as an Appladae grows older.

Each Appladae is born from an apple that's dropped from an adult Appladae's tree. Inside the apple is a red gem that'll become buried as time passes, and that gem will germinate an apple tree once conditions are ideal. While the tree grows, the baby dragon begins to form itself out of the rocks and earth underground. It can take many decades for an Appladae to emerge from the ground because the soil is the safest place for a young one. Then, once it's mature enough, it'll wander around to spread its fruit everywhere and propagate its fruit. Appladaes are most active in the autumn, when their fruit has fully ripened. In other seasons, they're buried beneath the earth, in a deep sleep while waiting for their apples to grow. Young Appladaes raised by Magi may be coaxed to leave the earth earlier and thus are a lot friendlier than their wild counterparts. They also are more active in times other than fall, although they will always have the urge to hibernate during the winter. Because of their unique life cycle, there's many debates on whether the living being is the stone dragon or the tree on its back.

Appladaes can be found in temperate climates. Most of the wild population is found in the Silva Forest. Their magical abilities include healing plants, ripening fruit, and encouraging vigorous plant growth. They can also control the earth, although not to the extent of their earthier wyrm cousins. The branches and antlers of an Appladae have widespread use in making wands and staves and the gems can be used for other magical trinkets. However, the fruit of an Appladae is the most magically potent part of the creature. It can heal the body and give a temporary power boost when eaten raw, It can also be cooked in many different potions, including healing ones. This spawned the common saying 'An Appladae keeps the healer away'. But be careful not to take any apples that have gems in them. No Appladae would ever let a Magi take a viable fruit from their branches.

(Yes I named the creature Appladae just so I can make a stupid pun)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DeviantArt || Flight Rising || Avatar source
3DS friend code: 1607-2367-6983
If you message me I will register you. :3
ShadowVixen
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: [Earth] Appladae

Post by ShadowVixen »

*Slowly bops Piney on the head with a tree branch and steals the creature.* I shall name you Bob and you will be mine forever. lol Really though I love it.
Lisbels
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Lisbels »

I love the repeat of the yewels.
Sarah745
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Sarah745 »

Lisbels wrote:I love the repeat of the yewels.
X2

I love it too, but it is similar to another design. Like the apple gem thing and the antlers :) great job on the art.
To whom it may concern
Firm Protestant, Female, traditional marriage, patriot, chicken liver

ImageImageImageImage

LF March 6th Anything
Savis Mouse Army = 150 + counting

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”