Magistream Monthly Newsletter - February 2024

Learn about the latest updates here.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Magistream Monthly Newsletter - February 2024

Post by Rosehill »

The Magistream Newsletter contains information on what we're currently working on and planning, what technical issues have been fixed and are being worked on, as well as information of upcoming events or happenings in the near future. We'll also gladly hear if you have other topics you'd like to be included in upcoming newsletters! Feel free to discuss these ideas in this very same thread. ^.^

New features and happenings since the last Newsletter:
  • A new section of the site has opened! Records is a place where you can see history information about actions you have done around the site.
    • Creature statistics is the same statistics page as before. It shows you how many of each creature at each stage you have. The statistics page only shows rows of those creatures you have at least one of. If you want to see how many species you are missing altogether, go to the Bestiary and type "<1" without quotation marks into the Owned-column.
    • Magi life section shows you general actions you've performed: naming (recorded only starting from February 1st 2024), freezing, releasing, crafting, using an item, transforming rewins and phoenixes to ancient rewins and elder phoenixes, and throwing gold in the Koi Pond (recorded only starting from January 21st 2024).
    • Shop history shows you what you have bought from the shops. Please note that some things you have bought may not exist in the shops any more or may have otherwise shifted a little, so the log data is not fully complete especially in parts of things in the shops prior to 2014.
    • Breeding history shows you what creatures you have bred together and when and whether they produced offspring or not. (Starting from breedings on February 12th and later the page also shows a mention if the breeding produced an item.) The page also includes a link to breed the same pairing again. In certain cases that link is not available: one or both of the creatures are on breeding cooldown, one or both of the creatures have their limited breedings used up, you don't own one or both of the creatures any more (this category includes creatures currently in trade), the gender of the creatures is the same, or one or both of the creatures don't exist any more.
    • Quest history shows you all the quests and where you are in regards of completing them. Please note! the site's quest log mechanics are, and have been, quite varied, so the information shown on the quest history page does not perfectly reflect the actual situation. The page will show quests as not started even though you have actually finished them. This page should mostly be used as a rough overlay on where you are in regards to the quest progress and to help you see which quests you haven't completed or are in the middle of.
    • Donation history shows you how much and when you have donated to the site.
    • Gifting history shows you who has sent you gifts during the site's gifting events as well as who you have sent gifts to. Gifting history hasn't been recorded prior to May 2017. Please note! if you still have unopened gifts from the Winter Solstice event of 2023 the gifting history page will spoil the surprise of what those unopened gifts hold in them! In future gifting events the page will not show this info before you have opened the gift.
    • Pumpkin throwing history is visible to older users who were around when the 2017 Pumpkin Wars were happening. It shows you who hit you with pumpkins as well as who you hit.
    • Flower throwing history is visible to older users who were around when the 2020 Magiversary Flower Throwing was happening. It shows you who threw flowers at you as well as who you threw them at.
    • The format in which creature data is presented in the records pages is thus: "creature name (creature number), Family name if the creature is part of a lineage: Species". You can use this to filter the results for instance like this: You want to see every lineage member: Put in a comma in the box above the column you want to filter. E.g., in the breeding history putting a comma in Offspring column shows you all the lineage offspring you have bred.
  • When breeding two creatures together, the breeding page now shows you the creatures you are about to breed so it's possible to hover over them to check that they are actually the correct creatures you want to breed.
  • The bestiary page of a creature now states if that creature has time based rotating sprites or shiny versions. For example the Foxfire Skulks have a mention in the notes section of having shiny forms whereas e.g., the Candle Ayoti has a mention of the sprite rotating based on the time of the day, and e.g., the Raza Cobras have a mention of the sprite rotating every 20 minutes.
  • Regular release: The Flame Striders (January 25th)
  • February Monthly Donation Pets: The Oinaris (February 1st)
  • The Shimmering Shop stock changed to past February Donation Creatures (February 1st)
  • Magistream is now on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/magistream All the updates that so far have been posted on Magistream's Facebook and X/Twitter will from now on also be posted on Instagram!
Upcoming events and happenings:
  • Valentine's Day Event and related happenings! (February 14th)
  • February Midmonth Donation Pet (February 15th)
  • Regular release (late February)
  • March Monthly Donation Pets (March 1st)
  • The Shimmering Shop stock changes to past March Donation Creatures (March 1st)
  • Regular release (early March)
  • Updated Rules and FAQ (sometime early March)
  • Valentine's event competition results (Around March 10th)
  • March Monthly Newsletter (Around March 14th)
Game things being actively worked on:
  • Valentine's Day event
  • March shenanigans related to Magistream's 15 years :smirk:
  • Going through the FAQ and Rules and updating them
Team discussion/planning has been revolving around:
  • Various little things
  • Site events
  • Gold, a questionnaire regarding the possible solutions we've thought of is coming to users soonish for commenting and presenting more ideas
  • Creating an item guide
  • The World Map
  • Voltarian Alphyn
Technical things that have been fixed:
  • The graphical World Map is now fixed! The graphical world map also works on mobile view, and can be zoomed, moved around etc. if you use a wider screen or e.g., landscape mode. For general mobile phone use where the screen width isn't that big you'll most likely still see just the list of locations. Please note that on some mobile devices your device's or browser's cache are really stubborn on showing you cached versions of the site, so if the graphical world map is still looking a bit weird for you (or shows an empty page) do a hard refresh on your browser (desktop) or clear site cache and cookies for Magistream (mobile+desktop).
  • Reordering your Keep tabs is once again possible.
  • The Lorien quest is fixed
  • Fixed trade view layout issues where creatures on trades' right side had their name be on top of their image
  • Fixed a layout issue where you couldn't click the "The Stream" and "Forum" links when viewing a forum or a thread on mobile view.
Technical fixes being worked on:
A reminder that known bigger issues are listed in the Report Site Errors thread's first post. They are now also put approximately in order of which fixes will be worked on first.
  • There will be a maintenance break on the site during March 9th and March 10th! During the maintenance break some background stuff is updated, spam accounts are purged, and some other smaller maintenance tasks are done. The site will be unavailable for the duration of the maintenance break.
  • Optimizing central parts of the site's code. Once this is done it should help make things load faster and also allow for using items, embedding multiple, and adding creatures to trades from other than the main tab.
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Re: Magistream Monthly Newsletter - February 2024

Post by MothballMilkshake »

Not sure if this is just for me, but when I click World nothing loads now - no map, not even the list we had before?
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
fawnfur13
Member of The Dark Brotherhood An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by fawnfur13 »

Love the records! The breeding tab having a link to let you quickly and easily rebreed a pair is -chef's kiss- :well:

@MothballMilkshake
Did you try hard refreshing? It was blank for me when I first looked at it, too, but doing that fixed it!
Windi1
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Windi1 »

MothballMilkshake wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:09:59 pm Not sure if this is just for me, but when I click World nothing loads now - no map, not even the list we had before?
It's not just you. I've tried refreshing, but no world map. This didn't happen before, so have no idea what messed up.
My Wish list?
Spoiler
Looking for the following: Halloween pets!
agaori, all dragon breeds, Diamond wyrm
gryphons, hippogryphs
wolves, koi, spiders, Serendin, all Amagnaes Alvean Yale, Tidal Wraithe
direcores, capricorns, jackalopes,
Vahti, Wallatrice
All khirin, event pets, shop pets and past donis

Image Big need: Alvean Yale, Wugu Amagnae Hoarding:ImageImage 00/25 gifts
Eschaton
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Eschaton »

Windi1 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:18:12 am
MothballMilkshake wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:09:59 pm Not sure if this is just for me, but when I click World nothing loads now - no map, not even the list we had before?
It's not just you. I've tried refreshing, but no world map. This didn't happen before, so have no idea what messed up.
A hard refresh (ctrl+f5) fixed it for me!
Image Happy Baltic Pride ♥ Image
  • My wishlist: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • (older donis)
    • Dismot (Chantecler, Welbar, Bantam, Legbar)
Windi1
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Windi1 »

Eschaton wrote: February 8th, 2024, 10:20:10 am
Windi1 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:18:12 am
A hard refresh (ctrl+f5) fixed it for me!
I did the same after posting this. It finally came up.
My Wish list?
Spoiler
Looking for the following: Halloween pets!
agaori, all dragon breeds, Diamond wyrm
gryphons, hippogryphs
wolves, koi, spiders, Serendin, all Amagnaes Alvean Yale, Tidal Wraithe
direcores, capricorns, jackalopes,
Vahti, Wallatrice
All khirin, event pets, shop pets and past donis

Image Big need: Alvean Yale, Wugu Amagnae Hoarding:ImageImage 00/25 gifts
froglady
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by froglady »

If refreshing alone doesn't work, clearing your browser cache might. Some browsers are more insistent on displaying cached info than others (looking at you, Chrome, with your precious disk cache).
My join date says 2012, when I made an account I promptly forgot about until August 2023, so I'm really *gasp* a newbie. :)
I have no phobias or disliked critters. Feel free to click anything in my keep, except the "Quests" tab. I think you'll find plenty there without those 2 or 3.
Seabra
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Seabra »

Thanks so much for the updates! I really appreciate the communication and updates that have been happening for the site. I am very excited to see what comes next, thank you and the team for all your hard work <3

FEEL FREE TO MINE MY KEEP!
*My Pixel Art Shop* (Closed)

ImageImage
Wishlist

Return to “Site News”