The Elements

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Elements

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

I'm sorry, but something that big that can fly has to be using magic to do so. Otherwise their wingspan isn't near big enough. Same concept applies to dragons.. they are too big to fly without magic, or their wingspan would be 3 or 4 times as long.

It's like an airplane, without engines it can't get off the ground, nor can it stay airborne. Since we're talking about a magical beast, replace the engine with magic. So LARGE magical beasts either need pure magic or air magic to fly at all.
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Ah yes, it is well known that birds and planes fly because they're imbued with elemental power and not because of physics or whatever. (The pedant in me does find the description of "travel through air like a fluid" silly, though. Air is a fluid and the principles of flight are based on that.)

I have literally never heard of heat, cold, death, energy, time, or chaos being listed as elements, secondary or not.

Also, an experienced roleplayer should well know that one of the central tenets of roleplaying is that if you're not using your own setting, you make do with what you're given. Or, if it's "unacceptable," you're always free not to use it.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Real
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Real »

All elements were asssigned based on description, not on what we imagine/don't imagine about said creature. (Unless human error happened somewhere) At least in the Roc's case the description mentions no air magic. We're definitely not going to change a creature's description just to change an element.
by Saebra
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

So be it. Consider me unhappy. Once I finish the achievements, I'll totally ignore the element function.
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
Munin
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Munin »

Seems a bit severe to dismiss a new game feature completely because you don't agree with some minor details of element assingment. But to each their own, it's fully ok to not join in.

I personally am excited for this new feature and am amazed by the dedication to go through 1.5k descriptions to assign the elements. I feel some concessions might have to have been made to get a certain balance between the elements and not have 400 fire critters vs 20 light ones. (Quick disclaimer: I came back just as this system was primed to go live, I missed the whole planning stage)
Whalefall
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Whalefall »

I saw a few that maybe might be up for some tweaking, feel free to ignore or comment just some thoughts ^.^

Cinersi’s descriptions specifically say they deal in life magic, but they present pure fire. I think that overall most phoenixes would fit beneath Fire/Life.

The Aquifereptis description mentions causing rainstorms numerous times so I think Water might be in order? Perhaps even water/life given they are also associated with plant growth?

radiant nautiluses are listed as Light/Air, but given their abilities to give their Magi waterbreathing maybe Light/Water?

Both Sailfin Wyrms are listed neutral, but their descriptions mention Water magic

Given their descriptions I think Timber Wolves are probably Life aligned

ImageImage

I think the resurrection horses are similar in nature to Phoenixes and Sasrael would be better suited to Fire/Life and Valarn to Water/Life given the fact their “flames” are made of ice

I think given their descriptions the black and white ice dragons should be Water/Void since they are tricksters with control over ice
Image Image
kinda sad but you remind me
you remind me of a love that I once knew
+++
blockEdragon
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by blockEdragon »

I really like the element feature, but I love elemental magics so that's all but a given.

One that gets me is that Pygmy phoenixes are void-only despite this bit: "Their powers are much like those of other phoenixes; the ability to call on fire and control it with ease" which seems to indicate a pretty clear affinity for fire magic. And Pesaldos are a bit less ovbious but: "Touching the hatchling in their first year of life will always result in a burn" though I think the Pesaldo one could go either way, I just figured I'd bring them up just in case.

EDIT: Found another probably mislabeled critter "However, when angered, vetur crystalwings can call up biting snow and wind to direct at whatever - or whoever - has offended them."
Last edited by blockEdragon on May 25th, 2023, 1:02:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LightningDragon
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by LightningDragon »

I know that more things are planned in the future involving the elements - which, by the way, I totally was not expecting and I'm really interested to see where we go from here, and I think it's a wonderful idea - but I was wondering if maybe the list could be expanded upon in the future? :orly:

P.S., I have absolutely no complaints here and I don't want it to seem like I do. I just desperately want a lightning element. Yes, it's silly. :lol:
ImageImageImage
RedLilium
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by RedLilium »

Sounds interesting ^_^

p.s.1 Neutral? Why?
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImage
p.s.2 Is there by any chance an error in the numbers here?
Spoiler
Last edited by RedLilium on May 24th, 2023, 11:27:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reima
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Reima »

I find it fun going through the Bestiary and looking at statistics
Would anyone be interested in me making a chart that shows like, our current lineup numbers? Like how many critters each element has, through what means they're obtained etc.
I might just make something like that for the fun of it, I love seeing things like that lol xD
Overall I think this is a rather neat addition~
This Signature looks so bad on mobile. Good lord it is HUGE. I'll need to work on that at some point. For now though I sleep
ImageImageImageImage
✯✦✯✧✯✦✯✧✯✦
Any objections, Lady?
✨ImageImage✨
To hatchling only C:
Wishlist Here

Return to “Community Discussion”