Deerwing (Feather drake x Cervinus Deer)

A Damaged Beastiary
sarahjazz
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Deerwing (Feather drake x Cervinus Deer)

Post by sarahjazz »

As soon as I saw this event, this creature immediately flashed through my head- the lovely pink hues, the cream fur, it leaped and soared through my mind on iridescent wings, and the colours matched so well with each other, I had to draw this. Even if I don't finish it in time.

Deerwing
feather drake x Cervinus deer

Can breed to become 4 different colours:
Chestnut Deerwing (chestnut with pink wings)
Glacier Deerwing (silver with blue wings)
Obsidian Deerwing (black with purple wings)
Piebald Deerwing (piebald with green wings)
These colours are shown during all three stages. e.g. glacier deer egg is white.

General Description
Deerwings are quiet creatures, preferring to converse with their own kind and drift in small herds away from the bustle of civilization. Despite their solitary natures, they are also kind-hearted, seemingly attracted to those of a gentle disposition, or those in need. They seem particularly fond of infants, some magi claiming that they can sense the purity and innocence that the very young possess. It is said that when a Deerwing lays down next to a sleeping infant, they bless them with the sweetest of dreams.

Image Variations; Image Image Image
Egg
This egg has soft, feathery wings and two small, almost adorable silvery horns.
Image Variations;ImageImageImage
hatchling
Your new fawn is shy and timid, and prefers to stick close to you during its first few weeks. You begin to wonder if it will ever leave your side. When you pass by a young baby during your town stroll, the deerwing sticks its head out from the shelter of your legs and looks curiously at the baby, ears pricked forward and timidness forgotten- but it still stays firmly behind you. The baby spots the young fawn and waves its hands, gurgling happily. As you walk away, the hatchling trots after you, as always close by, but you do not miss the sight of its tail waving happily.
Image Variations;ImageImageImage
Adult
Your regal Deerwing makes its way towards you, stepping with slow, measured steps. It has grown out of its timidness, but still prefers to keep to itself or others of its kind. As you watch, it stretches its wings, allowing them to catch the sunlight. You gasp as the brilliant colours on the inside of its wings flash, revealing themselves to you. Usually the wings are kept tightly furled. The deerwing is usually a soft and creamy colour, pretty to look at but rather plain; Its hidden beauty is kept secret- much like the true nature of the deer itself. You smile as the deerwing shakes its wings and carefully furls them once more. It is not often that one is able to see the true colours of the Deerwing; That your deerwing allowed you to see it is proof of the trust it has for you.

Edit: If no one can see the images, please tell me: For some reason they seem to keep disappearing...
Link to images: http://sarahjazz.deviantart.com/gallery ... ompetition In case no one can see the pics posted above^
Spoiler
Phew! Finally done. And I did a bit of description, too.
I'm not all that confident with my shading abilities, but the last pic I did I decided to explore a bit with shading methods. I think you can guess what order I did the pictures in :derr:
<3 xoxo-comel! <3
ImageImage
Image-Free Mine here in profile for gold-miners!
LTT 2 GB Sintervos hatchies for 2 GB Krampen (1 hatchie + 1 adult) PM if interested!

Return to “February 2017 Monthly Contest”