Earth - Gem Bear

Earth and Wind creature design contest
Ayakashi
MD Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Earth - Gem Bear

Post by Ayakashi »

Because no one seems to have thought of this yet. Kinda a cross between a bear and a badger. I'm not that great at 2D art, and I didn't get the front legs like I wanted, but it works for what I intended. I tried to do a brown marble on the general coat, but yeah, it's left up to the imagination there. Definitely got the faceting in the body that I was looking for. Anyway, hope ya'll like it. Done with graphite pencil and prisma pencils.
Spoiler
This is a bulleted description because for the life of me I can't write it out right now. XD
  • Elusive because they spend most of the year under ground searching and digging for the rare gems and rocks that make up much of their diets. Can create vast underground mines in their searching and defend these mines as fiercely as a dragon defending its hoard.
  • Because of diet have developed a hard outer skin of stone, much like marble in its various veins and patterns - no two bears are alike in color.
  • Red gem in chest is indicator of the life force of these creatures. The deeper and brighter the red the younger and stronger the bear.
  • Back and tail of crystal leaves the only thing that can be the same color from one bear to the next, and tends to be brighter and fuller in males than in females. Depth and shine of the crystals is dependent on the quality of a bear’s mine. The richer the mine, the finer the leaves.
  • Colors of the leaves resemble the leaves of autumn as that is when these bears come out of their mines in search of mates and males often collect autumn leaves to accentuate their own colors in hopes of impressing the finicky females.
  • Females will gather fallen autumn leaves in preparation for the young as newly hatched gem bears lack the tough outer skin of the adults.
ImageImage

My wishlist

DS Friend Code: 2664-2235-0361 PM me yours so I can add you too! :D
Blazen749
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Earth - Gem Bear

Post by Blazen749 »

This looks awesome. Have you tried using badger ears?

I'm more active on the Magistream discord.

4/25 Gifts

LTT/S/B In profile!

Ayakashi
MD Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ayakashi »

Blazen749 wrote:This looks awesome. Have you tried using badger ears?
Thought I had used "badger ears" on a bears head, though after some research, bear ears and badger ears look about the same. XD
ImageImage

My wishlist

Blazen749
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Blazen749 »

Ayakashi wrote:
Thought I had used "badger ears" on a bears head, though after some research, bear ears and badger ears look about the same. XD
I meant like the ears being relative to where they are on a badgers head. Is the winning creature to be added? Because i'd hoard these

4/25 Gifts

LTT/S/B In profile!

Ayakashi
MD Moderator
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ayakashi »

Blazen749 wrote:
Ayakashi wrote:
I meant like the ears being relative to where they are on a badgers head. Is the winning creature to be added? Because i'd hoard these
From what I'm seeing the ears are pretty much in the same place on both animals. The real difference is the shape of the head/snout. Badgers have longer snouts and more streamlined heads, while bears have rounder heads and shorter snouts. That difference could make the ear placement appear different when it's actually not. :sweat:
ImageImage

My wishlist

Blazen749
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Blazen749 »

Yeah you right....badger stripes? on face?

4/25 Gifts

LTT/S/B In profile!

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”