Earth - Draethan Beast

Earth and Wind creature design contest
Mysfytt
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Earth - Draethan Beast

Post by Mysfytt »

Earth - Draethan Beast

Physical
Spoiler
pen sketch
colored
The Draethan Beast is a mysterious creature heavily connected to the earth element, so much so that very body appears to be made of solid stone and even elicits moss growths in more mature beasts. Despite its heavy countenance, however, it tread is soft and light meaning one will move through the forest and go unnoticed by those around it. Although shy, they are also incredibly curious and will often silently follow a wander in its woods for hours before disappearing into the trees again. Despite their gentle nature they are very capable of sudden and violent turns, using their gouging horns and sharp hooves along with their thundering weight to crush any enemies. Their earth based magic also allows them to cause localized quakes and rock falls. It is always advised that if one should be lucky enough to bring the curiosity of the beast upon them they should continue on their journey and ignore it. Approaching one is not advised because it is rumoured that they are not only active during the change of seasons, but actually are the cause it. Many myths and rumours abound of people foolish enough to approach a Draethan only to come back changed - some only in attitude or personality, but more dramatically some are changed physically. If a Draethan could be trained, however, it's powers could be used in many forms, from healing to transmogrification.

A writer I am not, so this is just an idea more than a certified text thingy.

other possible traits that can be written into the official text
- The gem taken from a dead Draethan my still hold its power - used on top of staff.
- magic includes regeneration/healing - land manipulation - organic manipulation
- leaf/scales may also be used as a spell component to change something, heal, or to fortify an existing spell.
- They really don't like you messing with the earth, so may attack people digging quarries/mining or cuttign a lot of timber down if it comes to close to their home.
- has the ability to cause land movement, quakes and rockfalls
- rumoured to be too heavy to fly.
- hybernate through the winter
- possibly also appear in spring with new spring colors of green and pink. moss stays all year.
I am so excited...- ImageWheeeeeeee!
Evil does not understand beauty for it can never possess it,
so hidden away, secretly, in the dark - It destroys it.

NyxNoire
Site Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Earth - Draethan Beast

Post by NyxNoire »

The moss growths here and there are a perfect touch, adds to the whole idea of it being made of some sort of stone, as does the colour and texture of the hide. I also really like the autumny colours of the hair/fur. The hide itself is gorgeous, it looks like some sort of stone. Looking at it, I can almost feel the texture of a foresty mountainside.

It seems like a successful mix of goat and dragon, with head, horns and hooves from a goat, and front legs, wings and tail from a dragon. It works really well and the different features flow seamlessly into each other.

A powerful creature though shy and curious (love the contrast), and very protective of Nature.

I would so hoard this. XD

/my two cents.
<3 Thank you so much for my pressies! <3
ImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage
DarknessHuntress
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by DarknessHuntress »

This is lovely. Absolutely amazing.
Feel free to mine in my keep. Hatchlings
My Shop: ~The Devil's Home~

15 gifts. Thanks. Wishlist is on my profile, thanks.

Mystcdra
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mystcdra »

*picks jaw up off the floor, pauses, then composes herself to speak*

Very, very nice! I would definitely like an army of these in my collection. I would just have to decide which tab in my Keep I would have to delete, just to make one for this one. LOL!
(Updated June 7, 2024 @ 10:17am EST)
:t-swoon: HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :t-swoon:
Rascal: May 9 2007 - August 3, 2020. RIP my friend!
ImageImageImageImageImage

My Current Wishlist --> Assorted Prism Foxes ♦4/25 Gifts!
Thank you everyone!
Mysfytt
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mysfytt »

The moss may also be used as a spell component, like moss from a moss snail - possibly as a substitute - but mostly I put it on to show the rock like formation of the animal.
I am so excited...- ImageWheeeeeeee!
Evil does not understand beauty for it can never possess it,
so hidden away, secretly, in the dark - It destroys it.

TheAxolotlKnows
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheAxolotlKnows »

Amazing! Love the stocky build- remind me of a draft horse! :)
ImageImageImageImage
Arkinine
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Arkinine »

This looks stunning! I love how majestic and solid it looks, like a true protector of the forest. The leaves and hair look wonderful, but the wings look a bit to dark/purpley to me for some reason. It's still an amazing entry, though. I'd totally hoard these like no tomorrow.
Image~~Image
LokiWolfbane
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by LokiWolfbane »

I would so hoard this. O.O Love it! :woo:

LTB Huge List
LTS Thread
Gold Mining Welcome
--/25 presents
whitewolfjustice
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by whitewolfjustice »

no words are necessary this speaks for itself. <3
ImageMY WISHLIST LTS Black Market
https://magistream.com/viewtopic.php?t=234106
Do NOT click Hatchlings on my Main tab
hikariangelwings
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by hikariangelwings »

Love it! :D
~ Life is Chaos ~
I click ALL the creatures on this page!
SB and 1st Gen Doni Sale
Quicksale! SB Herbalist and Watershop creatures too!

LTB SB ICE KITSUNE! PM ME FOR DETAILS

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”