Hope Chest!

Come here, take a break, chat with friends about anything and everything.

For those of you with children, did you use a hope chest?

Yes (planned for it)
25%
Yes (parents planned for it)
No votes
No (didn't think to/want to)
25%
No (baby sort of snuck up on me)
50%

Total votes: 4

Paloma
CreaturesTrade

Hope Chest!

Post by Paloma »

Okay so, I've been thinking lately that I might want to have a baby soon.
Might. I haven't decided yet.
So I'm starting a hope chest!

I already have...

Baby winter pajamas, androgynous green and yellow so it doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl, they're super cute too!
Three Sesame street bottles, Kermit, Big Bird and Miss Piggy
A baby blanket, hand made by my Grandmother, again, green and yellow and so sweet, it has a little deer and rabbit cuddling on it.
The Celtic Ladies C.D collection, including the track 'Irish Lullaby' which helped me sleep when I was little.

I also have movies that we can watch together.

Here is what I have so far...
The Land Before Time (but none of the sequels, so don't worry)
The Lion King
101 Dalmatians
The Secret of Kells
Ferngully
The Last Unicorn
Tarzan
The Artistocats

I'm going to be getting soon...
The Pagemaster
Brother Bear (though not from my childhood it was still very good)
Mulan

What suggestions do you have to include in my hope chest? (movies only please, unless you have good C.D's with gentle music for helping a baby sleep)
What movies do you have in your hope chest?
In addition to movies, what else do you have in your hope chest?
Thylacina
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Hope Chest!

Post by Thylacina »

I don't have children and probably never will so I'm not bothering with one.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Moonheart
CreaturesTrade

Post by Moonheart »

I don't have any children, but I'm going to make sure that when I do they see all of the original Disney movies. Anything like Poccahantas, The Lion King, Aladdin, Cinderella, the Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dome. It seems like the newer Disney movies arent that great. I basically grew up on Disney movies and I will still watch one if I'm bored.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

My keep is open for mining. Please feel free to go in and get some free gold!

ObiWanKenobi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ObiWanKenobi »

I was actually thinking just today that I should make one, lol. I'm trying for a baby soon, and I've got a bunch of stuff I used while I nannied to put in it. Some bilingual French/English picture books and cds, and I'm starting to budget for "bigger" stuff. I also found the most adorable little outfit for a girl that I might "hope" for (hurhur, see how I made it connect to the "hope chest" name?).

I'm not sure if I'm going to put in any movies yet; technology is moving so fast, that I don't know if even Blu-Ray discs will be relevant by the time the baby would be old enough to enjoy them. I'd probably suggest Snow White, since I pretty much decided that I WAS Snow White when I was little, haha. I'll probably also go with Beauty and the Beast, too (and since I want my child to be bilingual, probably the classic "La Belle et la Bête", which is in black and white). And, of course, FINDING NEMO, which is the BEST, haha.

I sound like such a dweeb, lol.
vanillaeclair
CreaturesTrade

Post by vanillaeclair »

My Little Pony, Generation 4. They'll thank you for it in the future. XD
ImageImageImageImage
Ryuokashi
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ryuokashi »

vanillaeclair wrote:My Little Pony, Generation 4. They'll thank you for it in the future. XD

I have my 120+ collection in a of first and second gen ponies in a storage tub I'll give to a girl if I ever have one. I have three boys so not thinking a girl is in my future any time soon even though I want more kids.

As for things to put in a hope chest for baby. Sounds like you got a good start. I'll tell you now though. Diapers. You can never have enough. 2 packs of newborns, 15 jumbo packs of the 1-2 mixed, 45 costco/warehouse/ bargain store sized boxes of 3-4's and possibly another 30 costco boxes size 5's. You'll hate yourself the day you run out. And if disposables are not your thing. You're gonna want at least 5 covers and 50 liners for washables. Because you'll get to busy to remember laundry and hate the day you run out. ~_^ Cause darn it all if that isn't the day baby is sick and it's coming from both ends. :-P

A glow worm. Every child has to have a glow worm to snuggle with at night and keep them from getting scared.
ImageImageImageImage
ObiWanKenobi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ObiWanKenobi »

Ohhh, thanks for that estimate on the reusable diapers. Whenever I look at cloth diapers, I think to myself, "God, how many liners am I gonna need???"

I LOVE MLPs. The new ones are so icky... except Derpy Hooves. :splat:
Paloma
CreaturesTrade

Post by Paloma »

Moonheart wrote:I don't have any children, but I'm going to make sure that when I do they see all of the original Disney movies. Anything like Poccahantas, The Lion King, Aladdin, Cinderella, the Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dome. It seems like the newer Disney movies arent that great. I basically grew up on Disney movies and I will still watch one if I'm bored.
The live action stuff and 3d stuff is definitely lacking, but I quite liked 'the princess and the frog'

Pocahontas was my favourite growing up, and I should definitely add that to the hope chest. I'm not so sure I'll be letting my kids watch TV until they are older, just because kids tv is getting steadily more stupid as time goes on.
ObiWanKenobi wrote:I was actually thinking just today that I should make one, lol. I'm trying for a baby soon, and I've got a bunch of stuff I used while I nannied to put in it. Some bilingual French/English picture books and cds, and I'm starting to budget for "bigger" stuff. I also found the most adorable little outfit for a girl that I might "hope" for (hurhur, see how I made it connect to the "hope chest" name?).

I'm not sure if I'm going to put in any movies yet; technology is moving so fast, that I don't know if even Blu-Ray discs will be relevant by the time the baby would be old enough to enjoy them. I'd probably suggest Snow White, since I pretty much decided that I WAS Snow White when I was little, haha. I'll probably also go with Beauty and the Beast, too (and since I want my child to be bilingual, probably the classic "La Belle et la Bête", which is in black and white). And, of course, FINDING NEMO, which is the BEST, haha.

I sound like such a dweeb, lol.
That is a great idea, raising your kid to be bilingual, it's giving them a head start right off the bat!
As an adult I know how hard it is to learn another language, I failed my German classes, and raising a kid to have a second language is gold on a resume.
Kudos to you my friend!
Ryuokashi wrote:
vanillaeclair wrote:My Little Pony, Generation 4. They'll thank you for it in the future. XD

I have my 120+ collection in a of first and second gen ponies in a storage tub I'll give to a girl if I ever have one. I have three boys so not thinking a girl is in my future any time soon even though I want more kids.

As for things to put in a hope chest for baby. Sounds like you got a good start. I'll tell you now though. Diapers. You can never have enough. 2 packs of newborns, 15 jumbo packs of the 1-2 mixed, 45 costco/warehouse/ bargain store sized boxes of 3-4's and possibly another 30 costco boxes size 5's. You'll hate yourself the day you run out. And if disposables are not your thing. You're gonna want at least 5 covers and 50 liners for washables. Because you'll get to busy to remember laundry and hate the day you run out. ~_^ Cause darn it all if that isn't the day baby is sick and it's coming from both ends. :-P

A glow worm. Every child has to have a glow worm to snuggle with at night and keep them from getting scared.
I'm a cloth diaper kinda girl myself, I'm obsessed with minimizing garbage these days.
ponee59
CreaturesTrade

Post by ponee59 »

I am saving a llarge collection of cabbage patch dolls for my grandaughter expected in March next year. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheKittenOverlord
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheKittenOverlord »

Kids are nothing but a headache... But in the future I might think about it XD
Image My name is Kat. Fear me mortal. Image

~~~~~~

Please click to get a coin!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Popsicle stand”