read if you want, mainly for staff to read =/

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Ktanaqui
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: read if you want, mainly for staff to read =/

Post by Ktanaqui »

Phoenixwildfire wrote:
Raneth wrote:
Tristan wrote:I have a couple things to contribute which some people don't seem to know.
  • MagiStream is a business (LLC) with paid staff, and sometimes profit. That means that when I get up at 3am on a saturday morning and work with sporadic sleep until sunday night, I get paid for it.
  • Hosting gets much more expensive as traffic increases. For example, our first hosting company was $60/year, we were booted in a month I think. They had "unlimited" storage and bandwidth. Since then we've had a number of upgrades, and with them came expenses. Hosting MagiStream definitely costs more than $8/month... by a lot.
  • At no point did I decide "Hmm, enterprise harddrives are just too expensive. I think I'll buy a yacht instead."
I was under the impression that average server costs were around 300-400$ per month. I can't imagine MS's costs.

I think it was discussed somewhere that MS's monthly cost is somewhere along the line of $500-$600 PER MONTH.

Not to mention this upgrade, and maintenance we might not realize is happening.

A website with the PHP and SQL databases this one has, requires a MASSIVE drive- TERRABITES of memory. I'm sure your 'unlimited bandwidth' and 'space' didn't have an SQL drive, did it? Usually that's the catch with that type of thing- there's a limit on the SQL base.

We're lucky enough to have PAID staff that work on things, amazing artists and people who are willing to work to make a high quality game for us to enjoy.

So if you add it all together- paying staff, artists, admins and rent, it adds up to a lot per month to maintain.

So before you go asking 'OMG I WANT $500 BACK!' realize you are TAKING AWAY A MONTH OF MAGISTREAM'S LIFE.

YOU may not care about it anymore, but the other 35,000 users who are registered to this website may.

So quit being greedy, quit whining and be patient while they do their jobs as best they can. :sweat:

Goodness, people. :sulk:

So before you accuse people of spending money where you don't think it should go, doing a 'bad job' under circumstances that couldn't have been prevented or predicted, THINK.

Magistream is a business- and as such I'm sure it has its own bank account connected to paypal, as well as other services that are associated with a business. You people are lucky as hell Tristan is willing to do refunds- a NORMAL business would never do such a thing.

I'm tired of the whining. It's only been a day and people are rage quitting and stomping around like spoiled children. There's an entire system up and running of how to get your pets back- nothing will be lost, nothing will be changed!

So WHY are people still freaking out?! Because you have to wait 3-4 days to get your stuff back? BE PATIENT.

/rant.
+1

ImageImage
altan
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by altan »

butcherbaby wrote:this should never have happened. it was like nothing was learned from the february crash- to have better hardware or multiple backups or god knows whatever you need to.
^ This.
Image Image
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Is it kinda funny that I'm more worried about what MS's economy will be like than creature recovery? I mean, I know that one way or another, I'm going to get my creatures back. (Which, by the way, is something I think we should be thankful to Tristan for. He could just tell us all "too bad" and leave it at that.) But a bunch of the creatures I lost are still in existence (old donis), they just went back to whoever had them in January. That means that it'll probably cause a bunch of extras unless people track down what went where.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
GuardianPhoenix
CreaturesTrade

Post by GuardianPhoenix »

"Waa! MS should have gotten better equipment since the first time. WAAAA!"
... Where's my shotgun?
Spoiler
Phoenixwildfire wrote:
Raneth wrote:
Tristan wrote:I have a couple things to contribute which some people don't seem to know.
  • MagiStream is a business (LLC) with paid staff, and sometimes profit. That means that when I get up at 3am on a saturday morning and work with sporadic sleep until sunday night, I get paid for it.
  • Hosting gets much more expensive as traffic increases. For example, our first hosting company was $60/year, we were booted in a month I think. They had "unlimited" storage and bandwidth. Since then we've had a number of upgrades, and with them came expenses. Hosting MagiStream definitely costs more than $8/month... by a lot.
  • At no point did I decide "Hmm, enterprise harddrives are just too expensive. I think I'll buy a yacht instead."
I was under the impression that average server costs were around 300-400$ per month. I can't imagine MS's costs.

I think it was discussed somewhere that MS's monthly cost is somewhere along the line of $500-$600 PER MONTH.

Not to mention this upgrade, and maintenance we might not realize is happening.

A website with the PHP and SQL databases this one has, requires a MASSIVE drive- TERRABITES of memory. I'm sure your 'unlimited bandwidth' and 'space' didn't have an SQL drive, did it? Usually that's the catch with that type of thing- there's a limit on the SQL base.

We're lucky enough to have PAID staff that work on things, amazing artists and people who are willing to work to make a high quality game for us to enjoy.

So if you add it all together- paying staff, artists, admins and rent, it adds up to a lot per month to maintain.

So before you go asking 'OMG I WANT $500 BACK!' realize you are TAKING AWAY A MONTH OF MAGISTREAM'S LIFE.

YOU may not care about it anymore, but the other 35,000 users who are registered to this website may.

So quit being greedy, quit whining and be patient while they do their jobs as best they can. :sweat:

Goodness, people. :sulk:

So before you accuse people of spending money where you don't think it should go, doing a 'bad job' under circumstances that couldn't have been prevented or predicted, THINK.

Magistream is a business- and as such I'm sure it has its own bank account connected to paypal, as well as other services that are associated with a business. You people are lucky as hell Tristan is willing to do refunds- a NORMAL business would never do such a thing.

I'm tired of the whining. It's only been a day and people are rage quitting and stomping around like spoiled children. There's an entire system up and running of how to get your pets back- nothing will be lost, nothing will be changed!

So WHY are people still freaking out?! Because you have to wait 3-4 days to get your stuff back? BE PATIENT.

/rant.
As PWF pointed out, and I will be VERY damn specific here:
POINT 1
"I think it was discussed somewhere that MS's monthly cost is somewhere along the line of $500-$600 PER MONTH."
POINT 2
"A website with the PHP and SQL databases this one has, requires a MASSIVE drive- TERRABITES of memory."
POINT 3
"We're lucky enough to have PAID staff that work on things, amazing artists and people who are willing to work to make a high quality game for us to enjoy.

So if you add it all together- paying staff, artists, admins and rent, it adds up to a lot per month to maintain."
So before anyone goes off being cocky saying how MS should have BOUGHT BETTER EQUIPMENT, may I ask you a question. WITH WHAT MONEY!? Reference point 1.

Second, Tetrabyte, petabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte and Yottabyte memory costs a hole lot freaking more than just $8/£4! Be realistic for crying out loud! Things like that cost as much as up to millions+! NASA's super computer is probably 5+ Yottabytes.
When you host a website and pay a minimum £2-£10, your paying for a STANDARD website! NOT a clickables website WITH a server!

Third, We're allowed to protect and bite at who we want to. You're flaming at Tristan saying it's HIS FAULT that the backup drive probably got corrupt DURING BACKUP- which HAPPENS in something called REALITY- it's quite nice really, you should consider it!
I'm honestly sick of all you people hitting at Tristan saying he should've done this or he should've done that. Srsly... you make me want to actually grab something and whack it. D<
*enter random rage babble here*

Moving on.
Quick Saying. If a business man goes into his home and discovers his stack missing, does he whine? does he act like a troll? No, he A: goes to the police (in this case, Tristan/Recovery page) and B: Starts over and sells things for profit with what he has.
Why don't you?
Change your active MS lifestyle for a bit of fun.
- Don't trade often? Start! you might find it rather enjoyable.
- Don't post often? You should! Ya get free munnies! (wellactuallyyougetgold..lul)

- Just my 2 Pence on that.

Regards,
Guardian Phoenix.

Edit:
Why do I get the feeling a mod's gonna shout at me for flaming noone? O_o"
*always gets bashed at for flaming* :t-corner:
ignite444 wrote:
Phoenix07 wrote:Lol XD a nandi who are not born yet but exist. Try to solve this puzzle haha :lol:

A time machine. :t-boo:

xandlidra
CreaturesTrade

Post by xandlidra »

If you think you can do better, then make your own adoptable website and see how you fair when disaster strikes you. Lets say, a DDoS attack happens because you ban someone exploiting something. Yes, it shouldn't have happened and things should have been taken care of better. But you know what, at least he didn't say screw it and completely abandon the website in all and never bring it back up. Instead of looking at the glass half empty, look at it half full.

Grow. Up.

He is not your servant, he is not someone who HAS to do something for you. He can take this website down at any point and time, do you want to know WHY? BECAUSE it is HIS baby, it is HIS brain child that he thought up to share with everyone that is here today.

You know what I am not hearing? A thank you for getting this back up as fast as possible. The companies that actually make you pay for every part of their services, like PLAYSTATION NETWORK? It took them weeks to get that service back up, with all of their employees and geeks behind the scenes, and Tristian did it BY himself, with only help from what I gathered a handful, or one person I am not sure who all helped him.

But you all need to quit QQing, and get back to filling out the forms that he provided to return what you have lost. He didn't have to do that, he could have said. "Sorry" and made you start completely over from scratch instead of going out of his way, going to sleep late EVERY night, which I am sure is hard on him. Since unlike a lot of you CHILDREN, he has other things in his life going on that need his attention. But, instead you all make snipes, like spoilt crybabies who didn't get exactly what they wanted for Christmas, when they should be grateful to get ANYTHING at all when so many in the world GO WITHOUT.

This thread should be locked, you people need to grow up and learn to face reality. You don't always get what you want in the world, things never work out as planned. Even the best laid plans FAIL.
duskfall
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin
Location: camphalfblood in the posiden cabin or the artames cabin

Post by duskfall »

i did not lose anything in this chash but in the one in march i lost 2 of each kind of zorlon 2 blood griffons
Wishlist
Spoiler
ANYTHING Especially if it's something I dont already have. I took a hiatus since 2012 and just getting back into things so I missed alot.
anything k9 based especially dire wolves, boraen wolf's.
Any event creature realised after 2012 
Griffins
Destrauxe
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Destrauxe »

@Phoenixwildfire- Agreed, very much agreed

I personally am just glad the sites back. They are trying to give us everything back but this is one of those times where both sides have to meet half way. They are honestly trying their best and I really appreciate it, I cannot put into words how much I appreciate it. It happens.

Return to “Community Discussion”