I have this idea....

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.

What do you think of a "Buyers Union" guild? (see my post on the 5th page)

I think it would be a good idea!
9%
I don't think that's a good idea.
68%
I'm not really sure yet....
18%
I don't really care :P
6%

Total votes: 34

umbreon241
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

I have this idea....

Post by umbreon241 »

So today I began thinking about this idea I've been stewing over for a while. Today I decided to bring it up and see what everyone thought.
Donation pet prices have gotten way out of hand. I have seen donies go for 95k. So that's when my idea comes in. Pretty much it's like an optional contract. Donators/donation creature customers would go into the thread and say "I, X, will not sell/buy current X shard donation creatures over X amount of gold".
I know that MS has refused to set prices for creatures, but this would not be a requirement. Nobody would be pressuring anybody to do it, and it would be a good way to help the economy's prices from going completely crazy.
It would also help people trying to buy donation pets to see who sells donies and at what prices. Some people don't really know where to look when buying donies, and the thread would help people see who is selling, and which threads to go to.
So, just comment here on what you think and suggestions that cuodl help the thread. And hopefully, if the mods give this the okay we could have the actual contact thread here/in the Merchant District.
Last edited by umbreon241 on September 22nd, 2010, 5:06:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Busy with school but you can find ways to contact me on my profile if you need to reach me. ^_^

Feel free to call me Umbry! :bounce:
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: I have this idea....

Post by sammythethief »

I would definitely do it. Not that I have any money to spend on spare donis to sell, but I don't think I'd ever sell a current donation creature for over 35k.
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!
Jeni
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jeni »

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's likely to work. For one, YOU might not pressure anyone to take this contract, but that doesn't mean sellers won't feel they're being pushed to conform to what are considered "fair" prices; especially if it's a thread right in the MD. And who gets to decide what's reasonable? The buyers? The donors? *That* discussion--what's reasonable or realistic to charge for donation pets--has been going on for a looong time. It's not something the majority ever seem likely to agree upon.

Would you be asking the moderators to enforce this/penalize someone who breaks said contract? That's a recipe for massive amounts of moderator headache and BAAWWw right there.
ImageImageImageImage
Yunyi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Yunyi »

TBH, I don't think will really work. You say no one's pressuring people to sign the contract, but if people do, then people who haven't signed the contract won't get anywhere selling their donis because buyers will just want to go buy them from contract-signers. In the end, that would force the non contract-signers to lower their prices to conform with what the contract says as well.

That would be controlling a lot of people and their prices against their will, and that's just not.. right. Also, donors are buying these creatures with their REAL LIFE money. They have every single right to sell them for as high as they want, especially because they're spending money on things that really aren't going to benefit themselves in the long run. Virtual gold? Making them lower prices because non-donors don't like the high prices just isn't fair. After all, this is real-life money we're talking about. Non-donors don't lose a thing when they spend gold on donis.

I'm not saying that I like the high prices either, but I can understand why they are like that.
Soleil
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Soleil »

Jeni wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's likely to work. For one, YOU might not pressure anyone to take this contract, but that doesn't mean sellers won't feel they're being pushed to conform to what are considered "fair" prices; especially if it's a thread right in the MD. And who gets to decide what's reasonable? The buyers? The donors? *That* discussion--what's reasonable or realistic to charge for donation pets--has been going on for a looong time. It's not something the majority ever seem likely to agree upon.

Would you be asking the moderators to enforce this/penalize someone who breaks said contract? That's a recipe for massive amounts of moderator headache and BAAWWw right there.
I 100% agree with this.

Being a donor myself, I honestly find problem with someone telling me what to sell my creatures for when I am the person paying for them. I am spending real money on creatures, I think it should be my own choice what to sell them for.

That being said, I am not in agreement to the prices lately, but it's no one's decision but the person who bought them. If someone is willing to pay the price, then that's what they'll sell for. It's the basics of supply and demand. Until the 'masses' start refusing to pay the prices, they won't drop. As long as there's a group out there willing to pay over 50k for donis, they'll stay that way.
Niwer
Pixel Artist
CreaturesTrade

Post by Niwer »

Prices are really dependent on the buyer, not the seller. Something's only worth what people will pay for it. To reiterate what Soleil said, until the buyers decide what is and isn't acceptable pricing, sellers are going to continue to profit from buyers' desperation.
.~//Staff Artist\\~.
Offering 75k for QB Hellhound born Sept 29th.
PM me.
PyroJack
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PyroJack »

Bad idea. Buyers will always say that prices are too high. Sellers will say that prices are too low. Chaos, flaming, and BAWWW will inevitably follow.

If MS won't set official prices for such things, then no prices should be set. Free economy. Supply and demand, and all that.

And agreeing with Niwer: if people don't buy high, prices will eventually drop. Also, part of the problem appears to be: MORE PLAYERS = MORE GOLD IN THE SYSTEM. Belmos' auctions/raffles, the Shops, and the Koi Pond don't seem to make a large enough dent to really change this much. There are more players, and more ways to make gold (including offsite goldmining where one can make tens of thousands of gold per day) than ever. More gold in the system = higher prices.

Besides, Donation Pets are extremely limited (not in number, but by window of opportunity to obtain), and bought with real-world money, which can be quite hard to come by sometimes, even for we who do donate on a regular basis. There is currently no dollar-to-gold coin exchange rate, so... should they (Donation pets) not be worth something at least?
Image Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Image

MegaTen
IGNs: JillYukimarimo, Ian`O`Rantan
WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES
IGNs: Dree-Elle, Keleth, Pyro Jack
Keolah
CreaturesTrade

Post by Keolah »

The problem isn't what people are selling the donation pets for. The problem is that the last few donation creatures were have been really adored by a lot of people, but the number of people who generally sell a lot of donation pets is lower lately than it has been in the past. I've personally had trouble finding anyone willing to sell them for any price lately.
ImageImageImageImageImage
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

The Coalition for Fair Prices is basically working towards this, with out any kind of contract (optional or not) to go with it.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
ShenziSixaxis
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShenziSixaxis »

I'm unsure if I understand this. :tard:

Return to “Community Discussion”