Trigger Warning: Sexual harassment/assault

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

rosemilly
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Re: Rape

Post by rosemilly »

What are your thoughts on rape itself
All people who attempt to do that should go to prison for life! :rawr:

Do you believe people 'ask for it' when they dress provocatively
Yes and No. Some people actually don't dress that way to "ask for it" on purpose they just like the clothes they are wearing. Then there are other people who are dumb who do dress a way to "ask for it". Those type of people are really sad. So it depends on the person really. T_T

What is consent to you
The person is given permission by someone else to do something. :orly:

Do you believe men can be raped too
Definitely.

Do you think there's a way to stop rape?
No way possible unless we live in a alternate universe. :facepalm:

Any other thoughts?
I'm bored. :derp:
You can click them in the spoiler. They don't bite!
I currently have 8/25 gifts

Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MissMurderPaws »

May I just ask, how does a person 'ask for it'?
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
rosemilly
CreaturesTrade

Post by rosemilly »

The person can "ask for it" if they dress inappropriately on purpose.

Spoiler
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MissMurderPaws »

I don't think so. I don't think anybody 'asks' for it. Even if they DO dress inappropriately on purpose. It's their right to wear what they want. That's empowering a rapist, to say because somebody dresses like this on purpose, they ask for it. They should learn to control themselves, instead of somebody having to be repressed because they dress a certain way.

Yes, some women, or men, will dress provocatively, in ways that people generally don't dress, because maybe they want the attention, or they want to show off, but that is definitely not hanging a sign around your neck saying 'rape me'. I don't agree with dressing in revealing clothing, but that's me. I won't tell somebody "dress properly, and you won't get raped.

It's like saying because you wear a black shirt, you're emo, and you're asking to get bullied. Do you like to wear black? Yes, maybe it makes you feel confident. Do you deserve to get bullied because of it? no way, it's your choice how you dress. Are you asking to get bullied or picked on, because you wear black? Hell no, because it's your right to wear that color, and it shouldn't matter to other people.

All I'm saying is that yes, while we make look a girls who wear skimpy tight t-shirts, half naked, and call them "sluts", or "attention whores", or guys who show of their body similar things, it does not mean they are asking to be traumatized like that, or hurt, because they felt confident in a tiny shirt, or none at all. Do you see what I mean? Nobody asks to be raped. It's rape culture that teaches most people "don't dress like that", instead of teaching "don't rape"
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
Grizz
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Grizz »

rosemilly wrote:The person can "ask for it" if they dress inappropriately on purpose.
So... in your opinion, women who dress seductively to go to a club or bar to have fun with their friends are "asking" for a random person they don't know to commit an act that you, yourself, said a person should go to prison for life for?
Just under 4,000 creatures to click here! Now you need not click my keep.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

rosemilly wrote:The person can "ask for it" if they dress inappropriately on purpose.
Unless they flat out say "I want to be raped", they're not asking for it. People just perceive it as an invitation for sex. And while it might be, hell there are fuck me shoes after all, it's an invitation for CONSENSUAL sex. Not for "I don't want to have sex with you but have to suffer while you take me because you think my tits look good".

Dressing provocatively is NOT asking for it. Dressing provocatively doesn't say "Hey, rape me!". Dressing provocatively could be someone's style. If they want to flaunt it, fine. Dressing provocatively could be to find the person they actually WANT to have sex with or maybe they're dressed for a date. Dressing provocatively could be a way to increase their self esteem, maybe they want compliments on their looks. Maybe that's the only way they feel comfortable, by showing themselves off. NONE of it is about saying "Fuck me even though I honestly don't want it."

Dressing provocatively doesn't give another person the right to do what they want to your body.

Rape culture upsets me. Not just the whole victim blaming and shaming. Not the whole "dressing provocatively is bad and you're asking for it". Those are bad, very bad, and I hate that they happen. But two things stand out for me:
1. Male Rape.
By this I mean men who have been raped. It happens. It happens often and more frequently than we realise. But it's pushed under the carpet because OMG it's a man! MEN are the bad ones. MEN are the ones who cannot control themselves. Why would a WOMAN rape someone? And anyway, if they're excited they must want it. It's not just a physiological reaction! Obviously they secretly want it. And this has implications that can be devastating. Male survivors can be ostracised from not just friends, family and colleagues but also victim support groups. They're male. They don't get support. This is one of the worst things I know of. Men need help just as much women do.
2. People who see rape EVERYWHERE.
And these are probably not victims/survivors. They're people who are vocal and have strong opinions and they believe rape is bad and and want to help prevent and stop it. And they're not bad people. They're not incorrect about their mission. They're just overzealous, so much so that they'd see it even in consensual sex. For instance, if one of them was privy to my relationship, they'd call rape. They'd be wrong. For some couples, especially in the longterm, not every single "no" is a real no. It might be a "I don't really want it so no but I won't stop you." That, to me, is not rape and I don't like that people would call it such. It's between consenting adults who have agreed to sex even when they don't want it beforehand. Consent was given, just much earlier.

As a member of the BDSM community, #2 bothers me a lot because a lot of the sexual aspects of the lifestyle can be considered rape even though consent was given MUCH earlier.
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
MistyoC
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by MistyoC »

I am a rape survivor. http://scarsfromsilence.tumblr.com/ When a person dresses provocatively (and the definition of that has changed drastically over the years!), that person is asking only for attention. A person may even dress seductively to encourage a partner to have sex with them. That never means rape. Even people who like being tied up, even people who like an aggressive partner, do not want to be raped.
On the other side of the coin: if what a person wore was what "caused" the rape, then only provocatively dressed, sexy people would get raped.
Feel free to click my entire keep. Anything I don't want to grow is protected.

Dream of Whirled Peas
rosemilly
CreaturesTrade

Post by rosemilly »

GrowlingCupcake wrote:
Unless they flat out say "I want to be raped", they're not asking for it. People just perceive it as an invitation for sex. And while it might be, hell there are fuck me shoes after all, it's an invitation for CONSENSUAL sex. Not for "I don't want to have sex with you but have to suffer while you take me because you think my tits look good".

Dressing provocatively is NOT asking for it. Dressing provocatively doesn't say "Hey, rape me!". Dressing provocatively could be someone's style. If they want to flaunt it, fine. Dressing provocatively could be to find the person they actually WANT to have sex with or maybe they're dressed for a date. Dressing provocatively could be a way to increase their self esteem, maybe they want compliments on their looks. Maybe that's the only way they feel comfortable, by showing themselves off. NONE of it is about saying "Fuck me even though I honestly don't want it."

Dressing provocatively doesn't give another person the right to do what they want to your body.

Rape culture upsets me. Not just the whole victim blaming and shaming. Not the whole "dressing provocatively is bad and you're asking for it". Those are bad, very bad, and I hate that they happen. But two things stand out for me:
1. Male Rape.
By this I mean men who have been raped. It happens. It happens often and more frequently than we realise. But it's pushed under the carpet because OMG it's a man! MEN are the bad ones. MEN are the ones who cannot control themselves. Why would a WOMAN rape someone? And anyway, if they're excited they must want it. It's not just a physiological reaction! Obviously they secretly want it. And this has implications that can be devastating. Male survivors can be ostracised from not just friends, family and colleagues but also victim support groups. They're male. They don't get support. This is one of the worst things I know of. Men need help just as much women do.
2. People who see rape EVERYWHERE.
And these are probably not victims/survivors. They're people who are vocal and have strong opinions and they believe rape is bad and and want to help prevent and stop it. And they're not bad people. They're not incorrect about their mission. They're just overzealous, so much so that they'd see it even in consensual sex. For instance, if one of them was privy to my relationship, they'd call rape. They'd be wrong. For some couples, especially in the longterm, not every single "no" is a real no. It might be a "I don't really want it so no but I won't stop you." That, to me, is not rape and I don't like that people would call it such. It's between consenting adults who have agreed to sex even when they don't want it beforehand. Consent was given, just much earlier.

As a member of the BDSM community, #2 bothers me a lot because a lot of the sexual aspects of the lifestyle can be considered rape even though consent was given MUCH earlier.
Well that was kind of what I meant in a way. But I didn't really know how to put it.

Spoiler
ConjoinedWeasels
CreaturesTrade

Post by ConjoinedWeasels »

It's a terrible thing and it shouldn't exist.

NO. NEVER. UNLESS SOMEONE ACTUALLY SAYS "CAN YOU RAPE ME PLEASE?" THEY ARE NOT ASKING FOR IT. SAYING A RAPE VICTIM WAS "ASKING FOR IT" IS BLAMING THE VICTIM FOR THE RAPE, WHICH IS UNFORGIVABLE.

What is consent to you
A sober person saying "Yes, I do want to have sex with you".

Of course. It's not as common as women being raped, but it does happen and it's just as important.

Raise your sons right. Always impress on them that rape is not acceptable. Don't try to tell women what they should to to avoid being raped--tell the men not to rape.

Any other thoughts?
N/A
Last edited by ConjoinedWeasels on October 1st, 2013, 6:48:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

That's like saying 'he was asking to have his balls kicked because he wasn't wearing a cup' or 'they weren't wearing a protective vest so obviously they were asking to be shot'. Obviously that's not how it fucking works. You are not 'asking' for something by doing or not doing something. If someone wants to show a little or a lot of skin in the way they dress, fine.

Where I'm from(Ontario, Canada) it is completely legal for a woman to walk around topless(like a man) if she should choose. Just because my breasts are showing does not mean I am asking for you to violently assault me.
It is MY body and you do not get to do anything to it unless I say so. No one is 'asking' for it, it's just a bullshit excuse men came up with to try and ignore/get around the fact that they thought with the head between their legs than the one on their shoulders.

Also on that note, just because someone has a lot of sex does not mean they are 'asking' for it either. Nor is it an excuse for raping someone.

Does this even need asking? It's horrible, plain and simple.

No, as I made clear above.

What is consent to you
Mutual agreement on both sides without either party having been coerced/forced/under the influence of a substance like drugs or booze and both parties understanding what they are doing and mature enough to be doing it.
If one party is drunk/high or unable to make a clear, rational decision it's not consent. If one party is to young to understand or not fully ready(we have age of consent laws for a reason) then it's not consent. If one party says yes because they've been pressured or somehow forced into it, it's not consent. If one party says yes, then later decides against it, there is no consent.

Yes, any one can be raped. And, something I noticed a lot of people failed to mention, men can rape other men. Just about everybody has said that 'yes women can rape men', no one mentioned men can rape men.

Shoot all the rapists? Probably wouldn't work but, eh. Though, something like this would definitely be a good way to start- http://www.snopes.com/photos/crime/rapex.asp

Any other thoughts?
I will throw this out there, to anyone who thinks using the 'it's like putting [temping food] in front of [animal that really likes food] and expecting them not to eat it, as justification for raping someone who dressed provocatively, I have some news for you.
My fucking cat understand what no means. She loves bananas, a lot, and will try and steal some if you're eating one. But if I tell her no, she will sit and wait till I give her permission to have someone. Yes, let me repeat that, MY CAT WAITS FOR PERMISSION! If my cat has more self control than you and understands no, there's a problem and you probably shouldn't be allowed on the streets or near any people.
Besides, dogs can be plenty trained to not take a steak even if it's sitting in front of them(that seems to be the main comparison I see) till they're told. Why do you think guard dogs are so good? You can't bribe them with food because they won't take it unless their master says they can have it(or gives it to them themselves).
Same with sharks(the other comparison I see) because unless the shark is actually hungry, it won't feed no matter how tempting food is.

No means no and if you can't understand that you need to go back to kindergarten and relearn a few things.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”