Pets

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Imposibibble
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pets

Post by Imposibibble »

Hey, it's spring (in the northern hemisphere) and shedding season. :wave:
Are there any helpful tips regarding which grooming tools to use for an indoor shorthair cat or just general shedding management tips? Having to use one of those sticky rollers after almost every petting session is just not fun anymore.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Imposibibble wrote:Are there any helpful tips regarding which grooming tools to use for an indoor shorthair cat or just general shedding management tips?
We started with a standard pet grooming brush and treats. The treats ensure it's an enjoyable experience and the pet grooming brush is of the type which gets both the shed hairs and the winter undercoat. My only advice is to groom often and use the vacuum around the house as much as possible. There's just not much you can do when it's a natural process taking place.

There are a variety of tools out there for grooming which should help. One of them is a combination brush/roller in the form of a glove. My cats ADORE this thing and will actively seek it out or come running when they see it. Kind of gimmicky but there are attachments you can put on your vacuum which will groom the pet and take the hair directly where it belongs. Ours were afraid of it at first but now they enjoy it.

If your cat licks incessantly or seems to have trouble with the hair, you might want to ask a vet's advice. I know there are a variety of commercial hairball prevention and hairball remedies out there, but it's really best to let the professionals take care of such things.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Imposibibble
CreaturesTrade

Post by Imposibibble »

Any thoughts on the Furminator? A co-worker has one for her golden retriever and they apparently make one for cats, as well. I've looked at the website, youtube videos and reviews. And I'm getting mixed reviews. Some people love it (like my co-worker) because it takes out so much hair. But other people claim that the tool actually cuts the hair instead of just removing the loose, dead hair as the site claims.

As a vet tech, I feel I should have been taught some basic grooming skills. The closest thing I ever do to grooming are sanitary shaves and matt removals. :tard:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Rainwater
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rainwater »

Imposibibble wrote:Any thoughts on the Furminator? A co-worker has one for her golden retriever and they apparently make one for cats, as well. I've looked at the website, youtube videos and reviews. And I'm getting mixed reviews. Some people love it (like my co-worker) because it takes out so much hair. But other people claim that the tool actually cuts the hair instead of just removing the loose, dead hair as the site claims.
I have only had a Furminator for a few weeks, but it seems to work well on my short/medium haired cats. I don't do too much at a time (since I have read that you can groom too much with them... and my cats don't like being brushed at all), but it never appears to have cut the hair. :t-shrug:
Image <3 Image <3 Image <3 Image Eggs for clicking! :look:ImageImageImageImage
FennecFyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by FennecFyre »

Rainwater wrote:
Imposibibble wrote:Any thoughts on the Furminator? A co-worker has one for her golden retriever and they apparently make one for cats, as well. I've looked at the website, youtube videos and reviews. And I'm getting mixed reviews. Some people love it (like my co-worker) because it takes out so much hair. But other people claim that the tool actually cuts the hair instead of just removing the loose, dead hair as the site claims.
I have only had a Furminator for a few weeks, but it seems to work well on my short/medium haired cats. I don't do too much at a time (since I have read that you can groom too much with them... and my cats don't like being brushed at all), but it never appears to have cut the hair. :t-shrug:
That's VERY effective on Maddie. She has a short coat, but it's really thick. She was all stretched out on the floor earlier from the heat.

Question: My cat Smokey sometimes throws up after he eats dry food, and it's always half-digested. Any explanation?
ImageImageImage
Alicia, Fenris, and Hattie, guardians of my beasties.
Sometimes I draw things.
I was Wolfcub, and answer to Wolf, FennecFyre, or Fennec.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Wolfcub wrote:Question: My cat Smokey sometimes throws up after he eats dry food, and it's always half-digested. Any explanation?
Any other cats or other pets around the food dish? Does he have his own place to eat? Ours will do that if they think there's not enough food to go around or if they think one of the other pets will eat their food. Inanna has been known to inhale an entire bowl of kibble meant for two cats, only to hork it up later. If cat isn't otherwise acting ill, maybe he's just eating too fast for some reason.

We fixed this problem by having designated feeding areas for each of our pets and by keeping humans out of the area when they're eating. Some cats have food issues just like dogs do.

The other thing you might check is the ingredients (run it by your vet or vet tech!) The company may have changed something in the formula and the cat doesn't react well to it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Rainwater
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rainwater »

Wolfcub wrote:
Question: My cat Smokey sometimes throws up after he eats dry food, and it's always half-digested. Any explanation?
Eating too much too quickly, inflammatory bowl disease/motility disease, food intolerance... Does Smokey eat canned food at all? If so, does the vomiting occur then? How soon after eating does it often happen (a few minutes later or a few hours). How often does it occur? Are there any other problems/issues/etc? What brand of food is it? Any dyes in the food?

Or, as I can't diagnose over the internet, you might want to talk with Smokey's vet and give him/her the answers. It might be as simple as slowing down Smokey's eating, but you also might need to investigate a diet change or possible medications. A good physical wouldn't hurt to be sure that there are not other conditions currently going on (if one hasn't been done recently).
Image <3 Image <3 Image <3 Image Eggs for clicking! :look:ImageImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Wow...budgies are quick learners. I've had these little guys less than a week and they've already imprinted on me. When I go by the flight cage and don't stop to talk to them, they begin scolding loudly. They don't do that for just anyone. Today, after a blood draw, I felt ill so I didn't stop at the cage at all. My girlfriend says they both moved over to the side of the cage which gave them the best view of the direction in which I'd gone and sat there peering after me for quite a while.

They're starting to articulate sounds --- not words exactly but cadences that don't appear to be part of their normal communication calls. Whirr can already whistle "Pretty bird" and the first half of a wolf whistle. Wobble seems a little quieter, but he's older and might not pick up as much. They both like the sound of running water and will chirp at it when someone does dishes.

I had been worried about whether or not they would like their pellet diet (it's higher quality than the stuff they were getting at the pet store) but I saw both Whirr and Wobble on the upper feeder this evening digging in.

I just don't understand how anyone could ever consider these little guys untrainable, unintelligent, or expendable. They've already improved my life so much just by being here.

GlassWalker
Secret Artist
CreaturesTrade

Post by GlassWalker »

Aw, Tx, it's fascinating to read about your new buddies. I hope you all continue to get closer.

Does anyone in this thread happen to feed their Dog or Cat Blue Buffalo, or any high-supplement chow for their pet? I was looking to ease our puppy into a good food. I guess what I'm wondering, what are the life benefits of a super healthy food? In the long run, is it really worth it? Seeing as lots of dogs and cats have lived long and healthy lives on super-grain chow - on the other hand, some develop issues, cancer, etc.

I've also considered making homemade dog and cat food. Anyone feed their cat on a raw diet? Haha, IDK, I guess feel free to discuss your pet feeding habits.
FennecFyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by FennecFyre »

Rainwater wrote:
Wolfcub wrote:
Eating too much too quickly, inflammatory bowl disease/motility disease, food intolerance... Does Smokey eat canned food at all? If so, does the vomiting occur then? How soon after eating does it often happen (a few minutes later or a few hours). How often does it occur? Are there any other problems/issues/etc? What brand of food is it? Any dyes in the food?

Or, as I can't diagnose over the internet, you might want to talk with Smokey's vet and give him/her the answers. It might be as simple as slowing down Smokey's eating, but you also might need to investigate a diet change or possible medications. A good physical wouldn't hurt to be sure that there are not other conditions currently going on (if one hasn't been done recently).
He normally eats wet food, unless there's none available, then he'll eat from the bowl of dry food at on the basement stairs. Normally our other cat Rikki eats the dry food, but sometimes she'll eat wet as well. Smokey usually only throws up after eating dry food. Maybe it's because he has missing teeth?
ImageImageImage
Alicia, Fenris, and Hattie, guardians of my beasties.
Sometimes I draw things.
I was Wolfcub, and answer to Wolf, FennecFyre, or Fennec.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”