Religion- Read first post please

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Re: Religion

Post by Morgaln »

Crazyflight wrote:
Moonrise wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:I only call it a fictitious book because it was written by people. God did not come down to Earth in human form and write a book. It was written by a group of contributors, about 40 or 50. You can Google "who wrote the Bible" and I don't think you'll find a reliable source saying God wrote it with his own ink and quill.
http://www.biblica.com/bibles/faq/2/
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... ble-part-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible

I can find books online that claim that God is real. Do they have any proof or scientific evidence? I highly, highly doubt it. What books are you talking about exactly? Do you have any specific ones? I'm not Googling "books that confirm the existence of God".

There is a lot of proof all over the world, right in front of your eyes that show us God is real. The reason we can't find anything telling us that God came and wrote the bible him self is because he did not. His apostle (followers) recorded God's teaching while he was on earth as a man. While he was on earth he was preaching and teaching and working miracles. Know the whole bible wan't written when Jesus was on earth. Even when he wasn't on earth he was speaking to his disciples (Apostles/followers).

You can find more than just books to support God's exsistance! Look at youtube, go find miracles and testimonies of people being healed. Below, this is a man who was raised from the dead and healed. I've seen him and heard his story many times...
http://www.leestoneking.com/My%20Miracle.htm
Right in front of my eyes. No it isn't. If I saw proof, then I'd believe in God. Because he'd be there.
What you are saying is what the Bible preaches? Who knows if it's true? You can't know for certain. That's what faith is all about; believing.

This story may or may not be true. However, there still is no proof that God helped this man be raised from the dead. His heart stopped, and it started again. He's not the only person this happened to. He just happened to be devoutly religious, and someone prayed for him. I believe that if it weren't for the people who helped him, he would have died. No God helped him. The people and the medics and the machines saved this man's life.
If you saw proof, you wouldn't believe in god. You'd know there is a god and therefore wouldn't need to believe. That's an important distinction; true believers will have faith in their religion despite the lack of proof. That is what religion is about and what separates the truly religious people from those who just go through the motions.

Personally, I'm not a believer because as harsh as it sounds, I do not care whether there is a god or not. I was raised Catholic, but I soon realized that all I had for religion was indifference. It doesn't matter to me whether there is a god or not, as I would live my life the same either way. I never felt the need for a divine agency to approve of my actions; the few times I tried praying as a child never gave me any comfort or confidence beyond what already came from within me; and I don't mind that my existence will end after death and thus don't require an afterlife for reassurance. Therefore, believing will not change anything in my life; and since I'm a lazy person, I chose the option that is less work for me :lol:
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.
SoftlySoaring
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Re: Religion- Read first post please

Post by SoftlySoaring »

I'm technically Catholic, and as long as I live under my parents' roof (which is at least two more years, as it isn't even legal for me to move out yet) I have to at least accept their values. In all honesty, I don't believe, and I don't think it would make much of a difference if there is or isn't a god. If there is one, he sure as hell (ironic word choice there) doesn't care too much about us. I mean, look at the mess some parts of the world are in right now. If "god" was truly active in our world, and if he cared at all, he would be smiting people left and right(old testament style) instead of letting genocide and war occur. And, in fact, more wars have been fought over religion (at least in part) than anything else. If it makes you happy, believe whatever you want. It's just when people (*coughcoughmom* *coughcoughdad*) start forcing others to believe, or accept a religion as fact that it gets to be a problem. Or when it is interpreted too literally, which also tends to happen occasionally.

Though, on a side note, I'm pretty sure I've read in a psychology book that it's pretty much a fact that people who believe in some sort of higher power tend to be happier in life than those who don't.
macintot
CreaturesTrade

Post by macintot »

Deleted by mom
Last edited by macintot on January 27th, 2013, 10:13:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are not a failure. You are not a mistake. You are not worthless. You are not unloved. You are not disposable.
You ARE full of purpose. You ARE priceless. You ARE indispensable. You ARE loved.

crazyflight
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by crazyflight »

macintot wrote: I hope this explained some things, and once again, I'm not trying to brow-beat or force my beliefs on anyone.
I wouldn't call it explaining, necessarily. The dictionary definition of explain is "Make (an idea, situation, or problem) clear to someone by describing it in more detail or revealing relevant facts or ideas." Well, that's what comes up if you search "define explain" on Google. Nevertheless, I think you're giving us ideas rather than facts. Like Morgaln said, believing is different from knowing. But what do we know?
macintot wrote:God doesn't want to smite people. He wants people to live. That's why he doesn't go around blasting people. When he does kill someone for their sin, we never acknowledge that they die by God's hand. We say that they died from an anurism or cancer, for example. How often, in this day and age, do we say that somebody died because God killed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you over the head with a Bible or force my belifes on you or anyone else. I'm just trying to explain this.
This paragraph alarmed me. First of all, I don't think it's within anyone's right to go around blasting people. People who kill have a screw loose. But are you saying that cancer and aneurysms and heart attacks are killing people for sins? That's sick. Completely and utterly sick. Using that logic, all natural deaths would be God killing people for "sins". Babies die every day because of diseases and other things. Did they die because of sin? No. Babies are gold and pure. Would God kill a baby? If God would kill a baby, then I would be revolted. No one says that "God killed him" because God never does. Natural deaths can be scientifically proven. And if you want to say that God controls science, so be it. I believe in science. Not God. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on you either. I'm trying to explain.
macintot wrote:As for why God doesn't fix anything, he did. Just look in the mirror to find His tool. He sent you, he sent me, and everyone else to change things. If you look through the Bible, the vast majority of the things recorded aren't done through angels, or even through raw manefestation of his power. The greatest things in the Bible God used people to do. Even Jesus, the single most important person who ever lived, was a human.
Are you calling me and everyone else on this planet a tool? I'm not a tool. I am myself, and I wasn't sent by anyone. I do what I believe is right, and that isn't determined by any divine being. I would be sickened if I found out that all my life I was being used by a powerful being in the sky. I'm not saying the notion is ridiculous. Do you like believing that all your life you're being used? Then what's the point of living? Why not let God have his way, if he's ultimately going to have it? After all, He can just send more tools to do your job.

>.> I'm bad with people, and I don't know what will offend you and what won't. I just feel slightly sick to my stomach, because I don't want to be used. My purpose in this world is what I decide for myself. No one will change that except me.
ImageImageImageImageImage
always looking to buy streamborn opal and diamond gemstone kirin!
<3 <3 <3
happy pride!
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by HobbitFeet »

macintot wrote:God doesn't want to smite people. He wants people to live. That's why he doesn't go around blasting people. When he does kill someone for their sin, we never acknowledge that they die by God's hand. We say that they died from an anurism or cancer, for example. How often, in this day and age, do we say that somebody died because God killed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you over the head with a Bible or force my belifes on you or anyone else. I'm just trying to explain this.
I think I'm with Crazy on this one; this is not exactly a healthy outlook on death. We say they die from aneurisms and cancers because they die from aneurisms and cancers. There is absolutely nothing in this world that proves otherwise when someone dies from a natural cause. Even "unnatural" causes of death have basic explanations.

If a god did step in and smite folks because of sin, how do you separate sin-inspired deaths from natural deaths? It can't be acknowledged unless it's known, and it's not considered "known" because there's nothing to acknowledge.

And if we were created to be a tool, then what purpose would we serve? When all's said and done, and we either destroy the earth or save it, what's the point? Why would any of us exist? If we're instruments of an all powerful creator, then why aren't we more effective?
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

☆·•●☽~Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?~☾●•·☆
Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Morgaln »

Crazyflight wrote:
This paragraph alarmed me. First of all, I don't think it's within anyone's right to go around blasting people. People who kill have a screw loose. But are you saying that cancer and aneurysms and heart attacks are killing people for sins? That's sick. Completely and utterly sick. Using that logic, all natural deaths would be God killing people for "sins". Babies die every day because of diseases and other things. Did they die because of sin? No. Babies are gold and pure. Would God kill a baby? If God would kill a baby, then I would be revolted. No one says that "God killed him" because God never does. Natural deaths can be scientifically proven. And if you want to say that God controls science, so be it. I believe in science. Not God. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on you either. I'm trying to explain.
Do not call others or their beliefs sick. Opinions can be expressed without being derogatory toward those you disagree with!
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.
mulan
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by mulan »

I'm Buddhist :-) sometime i will goto temple to make a merit & many more.
please mine in my keep^^
http://magistream.com/user/mulan/MY-CREATURES
ImageI'm a Sheep! thank you for the hug^^

Sheep are righteous, honest, shy, artistic, creative, gentle, generous, understanding
Sometimes they can be moody, a worrier, a complainer, and or too soft.
Taxi
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Taxi »

macintot wrote: God doesn't want to smite people. He wants people to live. That's why he doesn't go around blasting people. When he does kill someone for their sin, we never acknowledge that they die by God's hand. We say that they died from an anurism or cancer, for example. How often, in this day and age, do we say that somebody died because God killed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you over the head with a Bible or force my belifes on you or anyone else. I'm just trying to explain this.
So if we die, it's because God wants us to?
What of people who believes in another religion? My parents are Buddhists (like mulan), what if the only deity that existed is the Christian God? Will they suffer in hell because they chose another religion over Christianity?
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

So the post was deleted but I do have some comments.

I can understand where macintot is coming from. I don't believe in it at all, I'm entirely an atheist. That said, looking at it from the perspective that they believe, it seems like it's just a very... blunt approach to it.
macintot wrote:
God doesn't want to smite people. He wants people to live. That's why he doesn't go around blasting people. When he does kill someone for their sin, we never acknowledge that they die by God's hand. We say that they died from an anurism or cancer, for example. How often, in this day and age, do we say that somebody died because God killed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you over the head with a Bible or force my belifes on you or anyone else. I'm just trying to explain this.
In some (many? I don't really know) religions, yeah, gods kill people. We say things like "It was their time" or "It was destiny/fate" because these are nicer ways of putting down the concept that some higher being decided/had planned out these deaths. Religious stories have gods smiting people, they have gods killing people. It's something that is glossed over but when it comes down to it, that's a god saying "This person should die for whatever reason". Why wouldn't someone's death be part of god's plan? Omnipotent, omniscient, so why not? We just sugarcoat it usually and macintot isn't. If a person believes in those religions and gets down to the more 'dirty' aspects of it, why wouldn't they see past sugarcoating and consider natural or accidental deaths to be part of their god's plan in removing 'bad' people?

And yes, they can be scientifically proven... but if this is an omnipotent, omniscient god, why wouldn't they choose a route that is 'proper' with the world? If gods exist in the way that some religions believe, science is probably a 'creation' by them. It stands to reason that once the 'nice' aspects of a god are removed, they'd function this way rather than just throwing lightning at someone (which... I guess could be struck by lightning?) or the like. It's... almost logical in a way.
macintot wrote:
As for why God doesn't fix anything, he did. Just look in the mirror to find His tool. He sent you, he sent me, and everyone else to change things. If you look through the Bible, the vast majority of the things recorded aren't done through angels, or even through raw manefestation of his power. The greatest things in the Bible God used people to do. Even Jesus, the single most important person who ever lived, was a human.
Same with this. Why wouldn't humans be a tool of a god (if one existed)? It might be a reprehensible concept to people who don't believe that they were sent or are tools but it makes sense. The idea is that god is why everything exists so... obviously it's why people are born with their "purpose", or destiny/fate, whatever you want to call it.

As for us understanding it... this is some weird, higher being that goes around making and killing people and has a set of rules and expects people to act contrary to the nature they created them with. I don't think we'd know what the fuck was going on in its giant, giant mind. Maybe it's just bored? All of eternity with nothing to do, it threw some clay together and decided to create sentient lego. Maybe this is its version of the Sims?
Trains wrote:
macintot wrote: God doesn't want to smite people. He wants people to live. That's why he doesn't go around blasting people. When he does kill someone for their sin, we never acknowledge that they die by God's hand. We say that they died from an anurism or cancer, for example. How often, in this day and age, do we say that somebody died because God killed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you over the head with a Bible or force my belifes on you or anyone else. I'm just trying to explain this.
So if we die, it's because God wants us to?
What of people who believes in another religion? My parents are Buddhists (like mulan), what if the only deity that existed is the Christian God? Will they suffer in hell because they chose another religion over Christianity?
Isn't that already a thing, though? Doesn't the Catholic church (and I think others too) say that only Catholics go to heaven?

I guess I just don't get why people seem to be offended by it when it's just a blunter way of saying things that religions actually hold to or that people do say?

Personally, if I were to believe in a god, I'd be more willing to think we're just a giant experiment by them. "Lets see what these things do!" I wonder if there's a control group?
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

Tools is such a negative word. I prefer to use the title "co-creationists" because that is what we are. We are not a giant ant farm or something, we are literally His children. Parents can seem strict but when we grow older we understand this was for our own good.

And no I do not think G-d sends plagues, death etc. taken literally most of the Scriptures are worse than the ending of a Tarantino movie. :lol: The thing is sinners do not get killed or zapped by G-d. Ironically enough they will never receive punishment in this life(and maybe not even in the next one or the one after that) but by the people living today. It is our responsibility to have laws to serve and protect people.

We cannot simply pray to make the bad things go away, we must act ourselves and make this a better world by improving ourselves and making sure others also live healthier and better lives. Prayer should be an added bonus not a "please oh please make/do/whatever whilst I sit here being miserable doing nothing about it myself".

This universe exists because the universe/G-d/force of nature/whatever you'd call it is discovering Itself. We are therefore partners and not servants in my opinion. Literally part of whatever It is.
Last edited by BradTheMad on January 30th, 2013, 11:20:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: zpelling wuz bad
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”