killing wolves

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: killing wolves

Post by TNHawke »

werwolfo wrote:I hate when somebody kill animals for nothing.Yes I understand chickens,rabbits,cows,pigs and other farm animals are killing.They are killing for meat but wolves?They are killing for nothing.
Wait... Are you saying that wolves kill for nothing? Or that humans kill wolves for nothing?
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Soleil
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Soleil »

TNHawke wrote:
werwolfo wrote:I hate when somebody kill animals for nothing.Yes I understand chickens,rabbits,cows,pigs and other farm animals are killing.They are killing for meat but wolves?They are killing for nothing.
Wait... Are you saying that wolves kill for nothing? Or that humans kill wolves for nothing?
I think she is trying to say that humans kill wolves for no reason, as opposed to us using cattle, poultry, etc for it's meat. We have no purpose for the wolf remains, so we are killing them 'for nothing'.
koda123lc
CreaturesTrade

Post by koda123lc »

I am one of the biggest wolf fans ever born. I think that people need to find a way to live with wolves and try not to clash. If ranchers don't want wolves killing their cattle, they should not take their territory. But we do need to find a way to keep wolves from livestock, so we don't have to kill wolves and wolves don't have to kill livestock to survive.
[url=http://magistream.com/creature/2575603][img]http://magistream.com/img/2575603.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/2575624][img]http://magistream.com/img/2575624.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/2575144][img]http://magistream.com/img/2575144.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/2576561][img]http://magistream.com/img/2576561.gif[/img][/url]
griffinmagic91
CreaturesTrade

Post by griffinmagic91 »

I don't think people should kill wolves in large proportions due to threat to livestock, nor do I believe wolves are any more special than the endangered tiger or whale species. Yes, ONE reason why I like wolves is they are "majestic" as some people describe them, but they also live in families, work together for food, and are generally caring to their relatives but fierce to attackers even of their own species.
I think the alternatives discussed in earlier posts could be used to keep wolves from killing livestock. I also think methods used to keep wolves away from human areas such as rubber bullets and loud noises could work as well (assuming they don't scare the livestock.) If people must kill wolves to stop them from killing farm animals/livestock, I have to ask, is it really necessary to kill a whole pack of wolves? Wolves learn quickly from their packmates, but wouldn't the problem be noticed pretty early if a wolf were stalking livestock?
I also do NOT agree with any population control killings. People are the most abundant species on Earth. I say it's absolutely okay for this to remain a fact, but problems that require population control should rarely ever happen unless people set the populations off balance in the first place.
Just my thoughts, everyone is free to disagree with them.
"We have been waiting. But than again, the world is waiting, holding it's breath. I don't believe in fate. I believe in a power that I, a proud one, will never understand." --Original Character
bloodmoonwolf
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by bloodmoonwolf »

i love wolves to a point of i dont know what to do if the went exstinct HOPEFULLY that will NEVER happen.
there is ividence that says wolves are not the main killers of livestock but rarther cougrs or coyote. also the main reason they attack livestock is because there is no food sorce for them, this is because humans enjoy hunting it and sticking its's head on a wall. there is no reason to kill wolves. people have scared themselves with stories of the big bad wolf and want to distroy them. there is no reason for this.
i am suprised there is so little responce to your commint, lots of people like wolves just dont speek up. and that is what will save them.
thanks you : Vhaeraun, Sellerie, TDSaman, Logrin, DrBeansMD, Dark_Kitsune, KittenSmith, Dolphensong, crazyflower, mystcdra, auriene, orathy,, mistyoc, demonrage, alto, magistream staff and the anonymous senders plus the mysterious donder the reindeer Feel free to mine my Hatchling tab look in my keep for sale tabs,all are are priced. PM me if intrested My Cave Guardians ImageImageImageImage
griffinmagic91
CreaturesTrade

Post by griffinmagic91 »

bloodmoonwolf wrote:i love wolves to a point of i dont know what to do if the went extinct
Me too. Nature wouldn't be able to handle it well, either. (At least, that is what I think. Hopefully I will never find out whether I'm right.) Anyone remember what happened to Yellowstone when the wolves in it were killed? The elk started to get overpopulated.
"We have been waiting. But than again, the world is waiting, holding it's breath. I don't believe in fate. I believe in a power that I, a proud one, will never understand." --Original Character
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

griffinmagic91 wrote:
bloodmoonwolf wrote:i love wolves to a point of i dont know what to do if the went extinct
Me too. Nature wouldn't be able to handle it well, either. (At least, that is what I think. Hopefully I will never find out whether I'm right.) Anyone remember what happened to Yellowstone when the wolves in it were killed? The elk started to get overpopulated.
"started to", nothing. They WERE overpopulated. Check out my post back on page 3. 42-hall-of-speakers/101943-killing-wolv ... #p11217812

I was just recently on a drive to the South Hills in south-central Idaho. I'm not sure if wolves are in that particular area, but I did notice a TON of young aspen trees along with much larger aspens, and a LOT of beaver activity. Huge tiered beaver dam made ponds, almost like rice patties. It all brought that artical to mind. Apex predators are GOOD for the overall environment, even if they can be inconvenient to humans.

Just found a fairly recent map. No wolves known where I was at- the little light green blotch right below Twin Falls. http://www.mtexpress.com/images/2013/13 ... raphic.jpg However, how much of the rest of the state is covered is freaking awesome! I don't care what the nay-sayers say. nyah! thbbt! =P
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Pherium
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pherium »

I find wolves magnificent animals even though they are dangerous. There are three species, the Gray wolf, the Red wolf and the Ethiopian wolf, the Gray wolf being the most popular but still considered endangered and now only controlled hunting of them is allowed. However, the Red wolf and the Ethiopian wolf are considered critically endangered and I would think they are being more protected than the Gray wolf are. Anyway, in my opinion, I think killing wolves is wrong and should only be killed for survival, not sport, no matter what specie the wolf is. :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
decfudge
CreaturesTrade

Post by decfudge »

I don't think any creature should be hunted unless most/all of the creature will be used.
I am dedicating my account to give-a-ways. I will be doing egg-sitting, stock give-a-ways, breeding, and streamcatching. All donations are welcome, and 100% will go to the give-a-ways! Some times the creatures donated will be sold in auction. All proceeds will go towards buying creatures for the give-a-ways.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

You might, as Hawke suggested, want do more research before taking sides or providing idealistic means of fixing the situation. Bear in mind that all creatures and plants native to an ecology have a purpose and that shifting the blame to another predator ultimately ends in the same deadly situation: a critical upset from which the ecology cannot recover. Lose the ecology, lose ourselves.

By the way, I live in the only state which can claim red wolves and there aren't many. The current estimate is less than fifty living exclusively in the Everglades which is NOT their native habitat. The longleaf pines and mixed hardwood forests they need are largely gone now. I hold little hope they will ever be restored here.

They're also not true wolves. The extensive DNA testing done at U of F and other places shows them to be a hybrid, about 80% coyote genes and the remainder wolf.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”