I have this idea....

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.

What do you think of a "Buyers Union" guild? (see my post on the 5th page)

I think it would be a good idea!
9%
I don't think that's a good idea.
68%
I'm not really sure yet....
18%
I don't really care :P
6%

Total votes: 34

Tereghan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: I have this idea....

Post by Tereghan »

LOL, try it. See what kind of response you would get from actual donors in that thread. :lol:

Quite frankly it might be more effective if people did what Piney said to do and posted into their sigs about now buying overpriced donation pets. Not much more, but it would make more sense.

I donated to try to help keep the site running after some idiot initiated a chargeback on their donation and the site lost a ton of money. The donation pets are just a perk and I don't sell them, but even if I did I wouldn't sign anything limiting my ability to play the game.
"Courage is the price which life exacts for granting peace..."
-Amelia Earhart
Rainwater
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rainwater »

When I choose to sell a DP, I set I price I think is reasonable (i.e. what I'd be willing to buy for a current DP or a retired one if that is the case). If people don't buy at that price, then I don't sell at that time. I don't have a problem taking a gamble and waiting for months for the price to be right. If the pressure to sell for less and less really comes on, I'll just stop buying DPs with the intent to sell. It might be an "optional contract", but it does feel like pressure to sell at what you or someone else thinks is right and sacrificing my own opinion and reasons. :t-shrug:
Last edited by Rainwater on September 21st, 2010, 10:36:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <3 Image <3 Image <3 Image Eggs for clicking! :look:ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Soleil
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Soleil »

Rainwater wrote:If the pressure to sell for less and less really comes on, I'll just stop buying DPs with the intent to sell. :t-shrug:
I'm afraid that will end up being what happens. Donors (as a generalization) are going to get sick of people bawwing about the prices and eventually 90% will completely stop selling and buy only for themselves.
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

umbreon241 wrote: EDIT: I just noticed a lot of people who are objecting are current donors. Hmm....
Im not actually a "current" donor my last major donation was Nov - Last year. I donated $5 in January this yr...which I brought a lunar fox for recently.

So just because there's a purple name doesnt mean "current donor".

but looks like most people who have posted are in agreement that a contract - however voluntary - will not work nor will players abide by them.
So all we can do is boycott any highly priced pets in general and hope the price comes down. I am going to curb my spending on minicorns...they really arent worth 3-5k Im buying at lol

though depending on the DP in Oct - i may become a current donor once again - I want a special birthday pet, but shall see what comes out.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
Tinni
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tinni »

There was a time when I used to sell dp's cheap between 2K and 5K per shard.

But the nth time when one of the DP's I sold at those rates got sold in less than 24 hours at exorbitant prices, I stopped selling DP's. It ends up making a mockery of trying to get people cheaper stuff especially when the rl cost to me is pretty high (I am from a country where my currency is very weak. I pay almost between 40 to 50 units of my currency per shard, so I can afford fewer shards than someone from say Europe. I also cannot work now due to some issues, so getting shards is even tougher, I cannot used pre-paid etc, because of these things)

Naturally, I now sell them when I need gold or when I need to buy something like QB imps. So, I try to get the maximum price the market will hold.

I do not justify the high prices by this post, but I give some of the reasons I have for no longer selling cheap DP's.
ImageImage
Spoiler
To Hatch only, please

Code: Select all

[url=http://magistream.com/creature/7891261][img]http://magistream.com/img/7891261.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7891482][img]http://magistream.com/img/7891482.gif[/img][/url]
My MD Threads
Spoiler
Image[/center]
Wynterborne
RG Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wynterborne »

I'm guessing that Econ 101 is an elective rather than a required course now? Any market that is allowed to progress freely will be controlled by the Law of Supply and Demand, ie. If something is wanted by a lot of folks, and is in short supply, the price goes up, and vice versa. So the theory that a minority of people are the driving force behind the demand is faulty, it takes a greater number of buyers than suppliers to drive prices up.

I leave you with the immortal words of the Bard, Danny Elfman:

"There's nothing wrong with Capitalism,
There's nothing wrong with free enterprise."

Capitalism, by Oingo Boingo
Thank you for the clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Wishlist
Raine
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raine »

Soleil wrote:
Rainwater wrote:If the pressure to sell for less and less really comes on, I'll just stop buying DPs with the intent to sell. :t-shrug:
I'm afraid that will end up being what happens. Donors (as a generalization) are going to get sick of people bawwing about the prices and eventually 90% will completely stop selling and buy only for themselves.
You hit the nail on the head here. This is one of the reasons why I don't buy donation pets to sell- the whining and the bawwing puts me off wanting to sell them.

The other reason is that I can't afford it. I'm unemployed again and whilst I can afford to get donis for me, that's about it.
→ Egg Basket ☂
ImageImageImageImage
→ Hatchling Train ☂
Piney
CreaturesTrade

Post by Piney »

So basically we can't say anything bad about the price of donation pets because that'll be seen as pressuring and bawwwing...?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DeviantArt || Flight Rising || Avatar source
3DS friend code: 1607-2367-6983
If you message me I will register you. :3
Umalia
CreaturesTrade

Post by Umalia »

Piney wrote:So basically we can't say anything bad about the price of donation pets because that'll be seen as pressuring and bawwwing...?
You can't say anything about MS economy without it resulting in bawwwing.
ShaiNeko
Site Moderator
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShaiNeko »

Throwing my thoughts in:

Piney, I don't see the discussion about DP prices as bawwing and pressuring, exactly.

100k for a creature that is still in shop seems crazy, yes. But when you look at how few people seem to be selling them, and how much they are likely to rise in price the day after they leave the shop, some people are probably thinking they'll buy now, when they know they can afford it. I'm not saying that kind of price increase is nice, or right, just that I can understand why people will accept it.

On the donators feeling pressured, I created a blacklist this week because I was fed up with people PM'ing me begging to buy donation pets. I'm not going to sell things just because people expect me to. Buyers don't have to buy, yes, and sellers don't have to sell, but if people aren't going to treat each other with respect, I just won't bother selling anything.
ImageImage :t--.-:

Return to “Community Discussion”