killing wolves

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

blaxymilian
CreaturesTrade

Re: killing wolves

Post by blaxymilian »

"Why are wolves more important than other creatures, to you? Like FrozenFire said, most grey/timber wolves-- which are pretty much the only wolves people tend to think about-- are NOT endangered.

I'm more worried about defenseless animals hurt horribly by invasive species-- such as the Kakapo, a ground-dwelling parrot that has only about 80 individuals left in the wild, most of them male."

Yeah!
http://dragcave.net/user/szyna <--- my DC scroll do you want one dragon? PM

Image Image Image Image

My dream is TEMPLE DOG
Please give me one :(

http://magistream.com/30-auction-house/ ... ction.html <--- Auction! :>
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Keep the discussion ON TARGET. Arguments such as "Well, X animal needs defending more than Y animal" are NOT valid as well as irrelevant to the topic. Either answer the points brought up by other posters with scientific information countering what they've offered or back up your own points with such articles. If I see one more argument of the variety noted above, you will get a warning. Also, this thread is specifically about the killing of wolves and the impact of such killings on wolves and related species. If you want to talk about endangered species, you should start your own thread.

READ THE RULES. Follow them.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Dauntless
CreaturesTrade
Location: In your kitchen complaining that you have no decent food.

Post by Dauntless »

Well, I find this completely unecassary! Killing wolves? seriously...They are already indangered as it is, Do you really want this beautiful animal to be gone forever? Well if you do, trust me, I can name about 20 people who would be crying there eyes out if wolves were extinct! People love wolves, I t6hink they are the most popular animal there is. they are beautilful, Cute, and amazing! Why do you want to put an end to that? Earth may be beatuiful but its every little think on earth that makes it beautiful and by killing wolves, and any other lviving creature for that matter, Your are making Earth less beautiful. Earth is our home, and we are lucky to have a beautiful home, don't ruin it by making it ugly, keep it the way it is, beacause Earth, is beautiful.
Image Image
it's where
mydemons hide

PLEASE! Do not call be Daunt, do not call me Less, call me Dauntless.
"What didn't kill me, never made me stronger at all."
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Symbol7890 wrote:Well, I find this completely unecassary! Killing wolves? seriously...They are already indangered as it is, Do you really want this beautiful animal to be gone forever? Well if you do, trust me, I can name about 20 people who would be crying there eyes out if wolves were extinct! People love wolves, I t6hink they are the most popular animal there is. they are beautilful, Cute, and amazing! Why do you want to put an end to that? Earth may be beatuiful but its every little think on earth that makes it beautiful and by killing wolves, and any other lviving creature for that matter, Your are making Earth less beautiful. Earth is our home, and we are lucky to have a beautiful home, don't ruin it by making it ugly, keep it the way it is, beacause Earth, is beautiful.
Ok first, no, just no. Wolves are not endangered at all. Certain subspecies are but for the most part, they are not endangered, at least, the grey Wolf/Timber Wolf is not endangered. They are listed as 'least concern'. Certainly the ones that live here(Canada and US) are not. In fact, in some places they are over populated. They're hunted to keep their numbers in check. If there are too many wolves in one area they will deplete their food source fast and starve. If their natural food source runs out/low they will move to the next thing, livestock.
Population control is NOT a bad thing.

Besides, there are plenty of other creatures that do need protection and are on the endangered species list such as the ones listed here- http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/search/ad ... =3&schid=0& And that's just Canada!
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MissMurderPaws »

Finally, a topic i can truely get into (I have done very extensive research on wolves)
I want to clear up a few myths
1. Coyotes, and dog are responsible for far more then half of livestock deaths. Wolves est them only if it's to survive.
2. Most wolves are very shy and will retreat from a human, unless it feels cornered or its pups are endangered.
3. (i knbow this has very little to do with it, i just find this Cool) Wolves bury their dead young
Ok first, no, just no. Wolves are not endangered at all. Certain subspecies are but for the most part, they are not endangered, at least, the grey Wolf/Timber Wolf is not endangered. They are listed as 'least concern'. Certainly the ones that live here(Canada and US) are not. In fact, in some places they are over populated. They're hunted to keep their numbers in check. If there are too many wolves in one area they will deplete their food source fast and starve. If their natural food source runs out/low they will move to the next thing, livestock.
Population control is NOT a bad thing.
Genarally, only one pack will occupy a very large amount of land, one pack being 1-2 adults 3-6 yearlings and 2-4 pups, not a whole lot to 'deplete the food source'. Also, only about 1/3 are caught. Wolves can also go 1-2 week(s) without lossing muscle matter. This is due to their ability to hold around twenty pounds of meat at one sitting. Wolves also tend to stay away from humans, again they are very shy. And if their natural food source is low, they move on to smaller creatures. Frogs, in rare cases toads, small burrowing mammles, waterfoul, insects, certian types of plant matter, and in the summer months they may sneek onto a melon farm. They also eat eggs of birds, and in very rare cases, other wolves
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by MissMurderPaws »

blaxymilian wrote:"Why are wolves more important than other creatures, to you? Like FrozenFire said, most grey/timber wolves-- which are pretty much the only wolves people tend to think about-- are NOT endangered.

I'm more worried about defenseless animals hurt horribly by invasive species-- such as the Kakapo, a ground-dwelling parrot that has only about 80 individuals left in the wild, most of them male."

Yeah!
Their is also the red, and eithiopian wolf, Both of which are endangered, the Eithiopian wolf is one of the worlds rarest canines. Though tha kakapo is dwindleind, its not as big a threat to lose them, there not really prey for anything, and their not pop. control, like wolves are
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
KitsuneBeauty
CreaturesTrade

Post by KitsuneBeauty »

To those who keep pointing out the fact that certain wolf species are not listed as endangered: okay, think about this for a second. Wolf population dwindles to the point where they are put on the endangered list. Humans aren't allowed to kill them outside of self-defense reasons (which are so few and far between it's barely worth mentioning), so the population starts to come back up over time, then the traditional farmers and other close-minded individuals (by close-minded I don't mean the common hunter, I mean truely close-minded people who still believe that wolves will attack humans on sight or some nonsense like that) get ticked because the so-called "pest" is coming back to kill maybe one or two of their livestock all the while they keep butting into an area the wolf already inhabited. Wolves get de-listed because people won't quit griping and figure out a different solution (lord forbid they have to solve their own problems), wolves start getting hunted again even though their population should still be considered fairly low, population dwindles again, they get listed again.

I hope most of that made sense, but the tl;dr version is as followed; it's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken. People need to be educated about wolf behavior, their usual food source, and where they may inhabit at one time. If the wolves still pose a problem, do what others in this thread have already suggested and get some sort of guard animal. Dogs, llamas, something that will watch your herds for you when you can't. I'm in a rural part of Texas and ranchers even use donkeys down here because they fight off coyotes. My grandad owns a handful of cows every year and there's a pack of coyotes right next to his pasture and he's NEVER lost any animals because of them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dauntless
CreaturesTrade
Location: In your kitchen complaining that you have no decent food.

Post by Dauntless »

My cousin told me that there is a guy in her class who kills wolves! Yah, and ever since he told everyone that he is becoming REALLY popular. When he told my cousin in a 'proud' voice my cousin gave it to him! I am serious she loves wolves and she hates people who kill them!
Image Image
it's where
mydemons hide

PLEASE! Do not call be Daunt, do not call me Less, call me Dauntless.
"What didn't kill me, never made me stronger at all."
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Please remember to keep the discussion on target --- in this case, about whether or not wolves should be hunted and, by extension their protective status and the manner in which protective status is established for species --- and if you cite something as fact, either link to an article online for confirmation of the facts listed or at least list the author of the magazine article or book to which you're referring. Personal experiences should be designated, "In my experience" or "In my opinion" and NOT presented as fact.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
werwolfo
CreaturesTrade

Post by werwolfo »

I hate when somebody kill animals for nothing.Yes I understand chickens,rabbits,cows,pigs and other farm animals are killing.They are killing for meat but wolves?They are killing for nothing.
Metal

Return to “Hall of Speakers”