[LTB] Dragon Art

This forum is for art shops

Moderator: Hall of the Arts Moderators

[LTB] Dragon Art

Postby Tyriagris » December 17th, 2019, 12:12:51 am

Consider it a Christmas present (or hopefully many more than one) to myself.

I'm looking for (all the) art of one of my dragon boys. If you enjoy drawing fantasy creatures and don't mind working off of mostly written descriptions, this thread is for you. I'm looking for any kind of art, from traditional over digital down to whatever else you like to do. I do ask that you post a sketch of him before you put too much effort into the drawing, so I can give pointers about the details.

I am also looking for one or two animated gifs of him. Obviously, I'm willing to pay accordingly higher for the increased effort.

Please note that most of the reference pictures are still from when he was being developed as a character and his description has changed in some ways since then. The pictures alone are (currently) not accurate.

I currently have about 15 mil in gold set aside for this, as well as a bunch of creatures. I really want to get as much art of him as possible. Soooo - on to the...

.

Description




He is a western dragon, meaning four limbs plus two wings and a tail.

Where 'typical' dragons have spikes, he has feathers, like a sort of crest. Smaller ones on the outside and then nice, long ones right along his spine, about halfway down his neck. From there, it's spikes as usual. Additionally, at the beginning of his tail (by his hips), there are more feathers, like a bird's tail, as well as a fan of them at the tip of it (a bit like the original gryphons on here, only much more.) Additionally, he has some (almost like wings) on his 'elbows', as well as his actual wings, there's an inner layer of feathers that ends in more dragon-typical webbed wings - from the top/outside, it's just the membrane, the feathers are purely on the in-/underside. What's still depicted as horns in the reference pictures along the back of his jaw has since turned into more feathers instead.

His colours are based around fire. The original inspiration for his colour palette was burnt wood - it's since switched a little to cooling lava.



His base colour is a very slightly blue-ish black (the picture is already a little too blue). His feathers start the same colour at the roots and then gradually turn red towards the middle and golden towards the tips, the same goes for his horns, chest plates, the membranes of his wings, and his tail. His claws and eyes are just golden, along with a golden stripe along the underside of his eye. His nostrils have a thin line of gold on the outside as well.

He has two slightly curved (as seen below) horns on the back of his head, along one above each eye that look a little like eyebrows. He likes to wear jewellery on them, things like small chains and rings and other ornaments, usually made of gold:



.

Other Pictures


The remaining artwork of him can be found below (plus the one in my signature) - but again, the pictures are outdated and should not be used as the only references.






If you have any other questions about details, don't hesitate to PM me.

.

Payment


And finally, what I can offer:

Image 15,000,000
Image 20

Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Finally, expect somewhat slow responses to this thread from me, as university projects are piling up at the moment and I usually spend my days buried in presentations, projects, and homework.

Thank you! <3
[LTB] Art!
(200+ donis, gold, shards)
-
Image
User avatar
Tyriagris
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
Posts: 17069
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 2:22:25 pm

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby IrmaWerewolf » December 17th, 2019, 9:00:46 am

Hi ~
I would like to try drawing your dragon.
Here is my DA https://www.deviantart.com/iridiumwolframium/gallery/
The folders are organised by materials/media. For traditional I'm usually working with pencils, ink and ball point pens. For digital I usually prefer going lineless, but I can do lined as well. I've made some attempts at pixel art recently, I don't have many experience and examples to show for it yet, but that's also a possibility.
And from "whatever else I like to do category", I can make parercraft models. In other words I can make paper model that can be printed, assembled and put on a real physical shelf in a real physical world to collect real physical dust :haha:
I'm also learning how to make 3D models, and I'm not that experienced in that field either, but that might worth a shot. 3D models can be animated if built with that in mind ~
Image
User avatar
IrmaWerewolf
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 2:26:07 pm
Location: Balmora, South Wall Cornerclub
Gender: Female

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby Tyriagris » January 3rd, 2020, 3:36:09 pm

IrmaWerewolf wrote:Hi ~
I would like to try drawing your dragon.
Here is my DA https://www.deviantart.com/iridiumwolframium/gallery/
The folders are organised by materials/media. For traditional I'm usually working with pencils, ink and ball point pens. For digital I usually prefer going lineless, but I can do lined as well. I've made some attempts at pixel art recently, I don't have many experience and examples to show for it yet, but that's also a possibility.
And from "whatever else I like to do category", I can make parercraft models. In other words I can make paper model that can be printed, assembled and put on a real physical shelf in a real physical world to collect real physical dust :haha:
I'm also learning how to make 3D models, and I'm not that experienced in that field either, but that might worth a shot. 3D models can be animated if built with that in mind ~

Alright, now that Christmas, New Year's, and all the visits are finally over, I've had some time to sit down and check out your gallery, haha.

I have to say, I really enjoy your work. I'd be very curious to see what you'll do with my boy - is there a specific material/medium you'd prefer working with? Or do you want to have a go in several of them? I'd love to see any, obviously, but if you'd like me to pick - the real physical dust in my room could use a home (and I bet that dragon would look nice on a shelf... :3)

Have you given any thought to what you would like for your work? <3
[LTB] Art!
(200+ donis, gold, shards)
-
Image
User avatar
Tyriagris
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
Posts: 17069
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 2:22:25 pm

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby IrmaWerewolf » January 3rd, 2020, 8:09:09 pm

Tyriagris wrote:Alright, now that Christmas, New Year's, and all the visits are finally over, I've had some time to sit down and check out your gallery, haha.

I have to say, I really enjoy your work. I'd be very curious to see what you'll do with my boy - is there a specific material/medium you'd prefer working with? Or do you want to have a go in several of them? I'd love to see any, obviously, but if you'd like me to pick - the real physical dust in my room could use a home (and I bet that dragon would look nice on a shelf... :3)

Have you given any thought to what you would like for your work? <3

And because Winter Holidays work differently in my country, I'm actually now visiting relatives and stuck without acces to my pc with only good ol' pen and paper untill January 7th or 8th :lol:
I've listed all the possibilities so you would have some choice as I like working in any way I've mentioned as well as trying new stuff from time to time (pixelart being the most recent addition). I wouldn't mind doing several art pieces in different styles/material/media or even several in one, as long as you are not tired of me :D I have plenty of free time and drawing dragons is a pretty good way to spend it :italian:
As I've mentioned, I can not start working on your dust collector right now, but I can make some planning and preparations. Like drawing some sketches for a model, to make sure that I've got details right. The main question though is "How big you want it to be?"
Size pretty much defines how much details I can put on a thing before it becomes literally impossible to make or how much detail I should put on a thing to pevent it from looking like angular nightmare.
As for payment, you have quite a few creatures that caught my eye, but I won't turn down pure gold either. No idea what to charge for papercraft model though, never made one for a commission before. I guess, one way to make it work is to wait untill I'm done and try to figure it out based on a final result and how much you like it :omg:
Image
User avatar
IrmaWerewolf
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 2:26:07 pm
Location: Balmora, South Wall Cornerclub
Gender: Female

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby Ardroth » January 4th, 2020, 9:43:12 pm

I am SUPER DUPER interested in doing a full body for you. :) A painted fullbody, potentially, if you're willing to pay. :D His design is lovely, and I love working with warm colours. Considering I have 15+ years of dragon and digital art experience, and owe nothing else, I'd be able to put much of my free time and skill towards this.

I also am more than happy to communicate stages of work via Discord, and/or send you up to three sketches for review and refine before painting/details.

I'm VERY interested in many of your Donis. :D
Ardroth
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
Posts: 974
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 6:04:05 pm

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby Tyriagris » January 7th, 2020, 7:54:17 pm

IrmaWerewolf wrote:And because Winter Holidays work differently in my country, I'm actually now visiting relatives and stuck without acces to my pc with only good ol' pen and paper untill January 7th or 8th Image
I've listed all the possibilities so you would have some choice as I like working in any way I've mentioned as well as trying new stuff from time to time (pixelart being the most recent addition). I wouldn't mind doing several art pieces in different styles/material/media or even several in one, as long as you are not tired of me Image I have plenty of free time and drawing dragons is a pretty good way to spend it Image
As I've mentioned, I can not start working on your dust collector right now, but I can make some planning and preparations. Like drawing some sketches for a model, to make sure that I've got details right. The main question though is "How big you want it to be?"
Size pretty much defines how much details I can put on a thing before it becomes literally impossible to make or how much detail I should put on a thing to pevent it from looking like angular nightmare.
As for payment, you have quite a few creatures that caught my eye, but I won't turn down pure gold either. No idea what to charge for papercraft model though, never made one for a commission before. I guess, one way to make it work is to wait untill I'm done and try to figure it out based on a final result and how much you like it :omg:

Haha, no worries. As you can see, I'm not in a rush. My own life is hectic at the moment, and while I love this character and art of him, it comes second. So I really don't mind waiting for things.

What's a size you would recommend for details? Or a size you usually work with? I have lots of space on my shelves, so the more details, the better, obviously, but I figure it still needs to be a manageable size for you.

For payment, if you're okay with waiting that's definitely fine by me, but I do want it to be a fair price. So let's keep in touch while you're working and we'll see how much effort it is? Maybe we can find a base price to work with along the way and go from there?

Ardroth wrote:I am SUPER DUPER interested in doing a full body for you. :) A painted fullbody, potentially, if you're willing to pay. :D His design is lovely, and I love working with warm colours. Considering I have 15+ years of dragon and digital art experience, and owe nothing else, I'd be able to put much of my free time and skill towards this.

I also am more than happy to communicate stages of work via Discord, and/or send you up to three sketches for review and refine before painting/details.

I'm VERY interested in many of your Donis. :D

I suppose paying for a full body mostly depends on your price for it. :t-shrug: I'd definitely love one, the more the merrier!
[LTB] Art!
(200+ donis, gold, shards)
-
Image
User avatar
Tyriagris
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
Posts: 17069
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 2:22:25 pm

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby IrmaWerewolf » January 11th, 2020, 7:42:25 pm

Tyriagris wrote:Haha, no worries. As you can see, I'm not in a rush. My own life is hectic at the moment, and while I love this character and art of him, it comes second. So I really don't mind waiting for things.

What's a size you would recommend for details? Or a size you usually work with? I have lots of space on my shelves, so the more details, the better, obviously, but I figure it still needs to be a manageable size for you.

For payment, if you're okay with waiting that's definitely fine by me, but I do want it to be a fair price. So let's keep in touch while you're working and we'll see how much effort it is? Maybe we can find a base price to work with along the way and go from there?

Ok, I'm back and ready to go. This is what I've sketched based on the description and what I'm planning to use as main reference. If there is anything that I've got wrong, I'm going to fix it and start making the model itself afterwards ~ https://sta.sh/0147n1utz65c
As for size, I'm working with all kinds of them with my largest model so far being 40x46x32cm and smallest being a bunch of little charms that are 3x3x0.5cm each. For dragon like this I would probably go for about 20-30cm tall (maybe a bit more or less depending on pose, especially wings). Would that work for you?
I will definetely try to keep in touch, and will ask for confirmation for every major step before continuing further.
Thinking about price a bit more... Below is the list of your creatures, that I'm interested in. How about setting base price at "any creature of your choice (not mine) from that list"? :t-shrug:
Image
User avatar
IrmaWerewolf
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 2:26:07 pm
Location: Balmora, South Wall Cornerclub
Gender: Female

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby Tyriagris » January 11th, 2020, 9:29:06 pm

IrmaWerewolf wrote:
Tyriagris wrote:Haha, no worries. As you can see, I'm not in a rush. My own life is hectic at the moment, and while I love this character and art of him, it comes second. So I really don't mind waiting for things.

What's a size you would recommend for details? Or a size you usually work with? I have lots of space on my shelves, so the more details, the better, obviously, but I figure it still needs to be a manageable size for you.

For payment, if you're okay with waiting that's definitely fine by me, but I do want it to be a fair price. So let's keep in touch while you're working and we'll see how much effort it is? Maybe we can find a base price to work with along the way and go from there?

Ok, I'm back and ready to go. This is what I've sketched based on the description and what I'm planning to use as main reference. If there is anything that I've got wrong, I'm going to fix it and start making the model itself afterwards ~ https://sta.sh/0147n1utz65c
As for size, I'm working with all kinds of them with my largest model so far being 40x46x32cm and smallest being a bunch of little charms that are 3x3x0.5cm each. For dragon like this I would probably go for about 20-30cm tall (maybe a bit more or less depending on pose, especially wings). Would that work for you?
I will definetely try to keep in touch, and will ask for confirmation for every major step before continuing further.
Thinking about price a bit more... Below is the list of your creatures, that I'm interested in. How about setting base price at "any creature of your choice (not mine) from that list"? :t-shrug:

Awww, look at my boy! Yeah, that reference seems very accurate to me, I love it! The only thing I imagined differently are the feathers on his elbow, they didn't quite reach that far up in my mind. I'd say closer to something like this:



Though to be honest, I'm not completely opposed to your version, so whichever you're more comfortable with works for me c: For the size 30 cm sounds like a nice height for it, but if I'm honest, I also wouldn't mind bigger. I just checked, the space between my shelves is 54 cm, so anything smaller than that works, haha.

As far as the base goes, I really wouldn't go below 15 shards (going by the original shard cost of them). These paper models seem like quite some effort to make, haha. Though there are a few special creatures on your list with individual prices.
----- The atrox dragons seem to have quite a high value, for example, I think the last one I've seen in the MD went for around 1 mil? So I'd value it at around 20-something shards. Maybe 18, for art.
----- The simurghs I'd value at 1 shard each.
----- I'd say 6 shards for the eldritch dragons .
----- The heligres seem to be a bit more rare and sought after than normal donis, so I'd add 3 shards to their values, based on some prices I've seen.
----- The Wyrms and Kollinus, I'd put at 5 shards each.

With all that in mind, I'd let you pick your base however you want. Does that seem fair? Alternatively, we could find a shard price per cm in height? Currently, if we assume a 30 cm model, that'd be 1 shard/2 cm, for example.
[LTB] Art!
(200+ donis, gold, shards)
-
Image
User avatar
Tyriagris
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
Posts: 17069
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 2:22:25 pm

Re: [LTB] Dragon Art

Postby TheIronDragon » January 15th, 2020, 1:45:12 pm

These are some nice dragons, well drawn ! <3
User avatar
TheIronDragon
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 3
Joined: January 15th, 2020, 9:19:17 am


Return to Seller's Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest