Tattoos and Piercings

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tattoos and Piercings

Post by TNHawke »

I've seen some pretty horrific reactions to henna. Like a massive chemical burn all over a co-worker's arms after her trip to the carribean.
Or, if someone wants the placement to be permanent, and it seems pretty quick and easy to make the change, rather than finding someone to do the henna. *shrug* It seems like a decent investment for someone who wants ink and can't do, or doesn't want to mess with henna.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Jazmina
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jazmina »

Any type of chemical burns from henna actually have nothing to do with the henna itself and everything to do with the additives that unethical companies place in it. Some shops have been known to add gasoline, or tar to create 'longer lasting' effects or 'black' henna. This, while unfortunate, is easily preventable by going to places with reputations to maintain and to smell the henna that is put on your skin. Personally, I mix my own, so it really hasn't been a problem for me, and have rarely heard of this occurring within the states. I'm not against ink by any means, but similar problems can occur with tattoos as well. There is a reason that within the United States, someone who has had a tattoo can't donate blood to any blood bank until after 6 months to a year after getting a tattoo.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

She did get hers out of the country, but it was regular colored, normal lasting henna. And since it was her first, she's never going to get it again. Can't say as I blame her, that's for sure.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

ImageImageImageImage
Jazmina
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jazmina »

Well all I can say is that if it was a chemical burn or even like a chemical burn, it definitely wasn't the henna that did it. The henna itself is a particular powdered plant and while people can get allergic reactions to it, that doesn't sound like this was the case. The problem that many people run into is the additives that people put in the henna itself. Traditional mendhi is made with powdered henna, lemon or lime juice, and essential oils for fragrance. Just as tainted or homemade ink can cause infections when tattoos, so can henna when mixed with improper substances. Hearing about that happen to anyone is sad. It's too bad that her first experience was a bad one. She should report the shop to the appropriate authorities in the Caribbean.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

1anioh wrote: @BradTheMad - Have you looked into the international school of body art?
Thanks so much for that link! Very tempted now...
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

Jazmina wrote:... She should report the shop to the appropriate authorities in the Caribbean.
Could very well be. I don't know what all she did, other than seek medical treatment. This was also a few years ago (2011 or 12). The odd thing was that everyone in her family of 4 or 5 got the henna at the same place, and she was the only one who reacted to it.

ImageImageImageImage
shock691
CreaturesTrade

Post by shock691 »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: Yeah. 11 on my chest and back, one on the back of my neck. 5 on each arm. I counted the tattoos by the single design that I drew for them, not the amount of times I went in. Some of the designs have multiple parts in the tattoo but I still consider them one.Also got 6 piercings. Two lip. One brow. Two on one ear, another on the other.
If not, Are you against them in any way?: Kinda too late for me to be against them, lol.
Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?: I think that, while self-expression is a vital and justifiable right to all human beings in any way they see fit (provided they cause no serious injury to a living thing), there will always be ignorant people who will look down on those that are different. Knowing this, anyone preparing to get a tattoo or piercing should be readily prepared to face the ignorance that some people will show to them. The best way to deal with it is to be proud in who you are, keep your head high, and leave them be.
Why do you think people should/should not have them?: I think it's totally up to whoever is getting te tattoo or piercing. Everyone has their own way to express themselves, this is a real big one for me, but it may not be to someone else.But if you do want to get a tattoo or piercing, I say go for it. You should always try to express yourself in any way you think you need to (again without hurting living things). Plus, as a bit of a side note for that, a lot of people (myself included) think tattoos are pretty sexy. Same with piercings. But hey, that's just an opinion.
In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job?: As much as I would like to say no, because it shouldn't be a deciding factor, I can understand a hiring manager's point of view (curse my empathy). While the employer himself may not have a bias his customers might, and if the job requires constant contact with prejudiced customers, it's bound to create a few problems. It would be nice to live in a society where that kind of prejudice doesn't rule and become a deciding factor, but there's always downsides to freedom and that's one of them.
What do people normally put in their signatures again?
Oh whatever, just imagine something funny here.
BloodyHarpy
CreaturesTrade

Post by BloodyHarpy »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: Yes, I've got a tongue piercing and streched ear piercings.
If not, Are you against them in any way? Nope.
Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? Stupid, I think it's also a way of expressing yourself.
Why do you think people should/should not have them? Well, there isn't realy a good reason, some people just think they look cool and some people think they're gross.
In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? No, people with tattoos or piercing are as capable as other people. But I guess there are exception, if you work in a bank for example.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

I have a question for everyone.

My beloved fiance died suddenly on March 31st.

I'm considering getting a commemorative tattoo. I know what it would be, but I'm wondering what a good location would be. I would like it to be unobtrusive, but *I* want to see it regularly.

Where would you recommend? Or would you recommend against doing such a thing, and why?

ImageImageImageImage
MistyoC
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by MistyoC »

TNHawke wrote:I have a question for everyone.

My beloved fiance died suddenly on March 31st.

I'm considering getting a commemorative tattoo. I know what it would be, but I'm wondering what a good location would be. I would like it to be unobtrusive, but *I* want to see it regularly.

Where would you recommend? Or would you recommend against doing such a thing, and why?
Perhaps above your heart? In a position where you could cover it with a shirt if you need to (work) or display it with a low-necked shirt when you want to.
Feel free to click my entire keep. Anything I don't want to grow is protected.

Dream of Whirled Peas

Return to “Hall of Speakers”