Bad Grammar - Bothersome?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Darkfur
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Bad Grammar - Bothersome?

Post by Darkfur »

I am a stickler on grammar, and my kids hate me for it. :lol:
My daughter constantly uses the word "like" and that drives me straight up the wall. There are certain uses for the word "like", but not for the beginning of a sentence. Example : "Like, she saw what the guy was doing, so like, she went and told the principal." That drives me absolutely crazy. And she just started high school so I am trying so very hard to break her of this bad habit. As much as I hate to say it, I would almost rather her say "Um" or "Uh".
I only use text speak when I have to. Some of my friends do not have unlimited text messaging on their phone, so it becomes necessary to shorten a message to allow for that. Otherwise, my phone messages read just like my posts.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Either way we love them, and that cannot be changed, but we must not sentence ourselves to stumble in the darkness with them.
CasinWolfe
CreaturesTrade

Post by CasinWolfe »

I don't mind the occasional shortened word (like someone using "thru" instead of "through") though I don't do it myself. I wish people would use casual grammar though, as in typing the way you would speak, and actually type out the words. The only time the shortened words really bothers me however is when there are so many that it becomes difficult for me to read it. As to grammar where spelling is not concerned, if people don't capitalize and use periods it doesn't bother me too much on here (unless they've written a big paragraph, then the lack of periods bothers me a lot) but if the sentence structure isn't correct it really annoys me; because again, it then becomes difficult to read and I hate when people do this intentionally knowing that they're making it hard for other people to understand them. I think it's rude, and bottom line, if someone wants to make they're post difficult to read so they don't have to use proper grammar, then I'm not going to take the effort to read it.
Looking for 1 ferret, either kind, please pm with price. We believe in ordinary acts of bravery,
in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
SlimeAttack
CreaturesTrade
Location: With them pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows.

Post by SlimeAttack »

Ugh. Yes. I grew up with my parents, who immigrated from Vietnam. This caused my English to be horrible from the start. ;__; However, I still take the effort to fix my mistakes and re-read everything before I post it. It bothers me /so/ much when people can't bother to spell out words like you, are, to, or please. Does it really take up that much time to type out two more letters? I'm fine with things like "lol" or "brb," but "u" and "r" just drive me up the wall. Using it every once in a while, or when you run out of space on a text is fine. But just doing it every single time because it "wastes so much energy" is a bit stupid. I really doubt that someone would be in so much of a hurry that they couldn't say something like "Oh! I have to go. I'll see you later," instead of "o i g2g c u l8r." I can't stand 1337 speak. Why would you take the time and effort to look for numbers and symbols on the keyboard that could represent letters? Why not just type out the real word? Another pet peeve of mine is when people mix up homophones like they're, their, or there; or your and you're. I learned that difference in /FIRST/ grade.
CasinWolfe wrote:I think it's rude, and bottom line, if someone wants to make they're post difficult to read so they don't have to use proper grammar, then I'm not going to take the effort to read it.
^ Thank you for listing my exact thoughts.
ImageImageImageImage Clicky clicky? c:
For any :t-ninja: or :t-pirate:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[url=http://magistream.com/creature/5655444][img]http://magistream.com/img/5655444.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/5662512][img]http://magistream.com/img/5662512.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/5662665][img]http://magistream.com/img/5662665.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/5678100][img]http://magistream.com/img/5678100.gif[/img][/url]
~Other Sites~
Spoiler
Spoiler
ImageImage
Spoiler
Spoiler
Image Image
Message me if you want to buy or trade any creatures. c:
Yes, I sit eggs/hatchlings. Just PM me the codes! More info in my profile if needed.
[/center]
Dragonmage
CreaturesTrade

Post by Dragonmage »

Bad grammar tends to make my head hurt. I despise trying to read and understand it. Typos are one thing, but deliberately making your (general you) post or other writing hard to read makes me hit the back button and go look for something else.
Psychologic
CreaturesTrade

Post by Psychologic »

Bad grammar has two sides to it.

Of course there are those incapable of knowing grammar, and for that reason alone I dismiss them in any rant. As people with certain cognitive disorders are not able to know how to spell correctly. Let alone how to use punctuation and the whole works. At the same time there are those who are just downright lazy, and this troubles me. How can they expect to be looked at with respect when they typpeg lkie tdhs? With no grammar in it at all.

We're all human, we all make mistakes. But some mistakes can be stopped.
Of course this is only my opinion. Others may differ.
Spectre
CreaturesTrade

Post by Spectre »

I'm OCD, therefore it's painful for me to read sentences with improper/incorrect grammar. I do understand people with mental disorders, such as dyslexia, and I do make exceptions for them as they can't help it. However those who try to be "1337", or are trying to be "gangster" really make me mad. There's a difference from being a derp due to birth defects and just being a derp. The only other exception I tend to make is when texting, there I understand because most of my friends don't have unlimited text like I do.
Eggs:
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImage
Skyeh
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Skyeh »

Urgh, bad grammar. People always rag on me at school for correcting people's grammar -- especially when they're talking. It's just, I read a lot more than anyone else I know, so when people talk or write, something seems off, so I have to correct them immediately.

I like to think that I'm helping them. :yarly:
Starylz
CreaturesTrade

Post by Starylz »

Bad grammar tends to bother me, a lot. However, I feel that it can be overlooked if the person is not purposely making the mistakes. But, as stated above, I dislike it when people tend to abbreviate things like 'w/e' and 'bc'. Is it really that hard just to type out 'whatever' and 'because'? Once in a while is understandable, but it really gets on my nerves when people just don't understand how important grammar is. Of course though, I'm not the best at grammar - but at least I try, and I'm okay with people correcting me when I make a mistake that I didn't notice.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

тнαnк уσυ ѕσ мυcн Fσя тнє cLιcкѕ ღ
tygrineheart
CreaturesTrade

Post by tygrineheart »

Well it depends on the mood I'm in really. I don't mind if people have spelling mistakes but if people are talking in chat speak I don't. I don't mind something like lol or brb but the rest I hate. My friends tease me because they think I'm 'posh' and snobby. I'm not!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
please click!
thank you
froglady
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by froglady »

I hate chatspeak. It would take so much longer to figure out how to type something differently from the normal word that I don't know how folks thinks it saves time. I don't get all grammar nazi about honest misspellings, though the to/two/too and there/their/they're and your/you're mistakes make me cringe a bit. Don't even get me started on "should/could/would of". *Shiver*
I once put down a book that had one too many instances of someone "walking in the room" instead of "walking into the room". I never did finish it, nor have I read any other works by that same (very popular) author. I just can't cut reading something that was written by someone with such little command of English grammar.
My join date says 2012, when I made an account I promptly forgot about until August 2023, so I'm really *gasp* a newbie. :)
I have no phobias or disliked critters. Feel free to click anything in my keep, except the "Quests" tab. I think you'll find plenty there without those 2 or 3.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”