Pets

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pets

Post by TNHawke »

TxCat wrote:a cuttle bone (which I have since learned they don't/won't use)
Not true! Keets love cuttlebone. It doesn't really do much for 'trimming the beak' which is what they're sold for, but they love to chew on it, and it does get them extra calcium and other minerals that are good for them. It's grit that they don't need and shouldn't have. Birds that hull their seeds don't need peppbles in their crop to help break it down. Birds that swallow their seeds whole- like my diamond doves- DO need grit to help with this process. Some parrots have been known to eat so much grit that it fills up their crop, or otherwise turns into a huge hard lump and blocks things up and is generally bad for them. My cockatiels and keets never had access to it, but enjoyed the cuttlebone. The doves have a mix of a couple brands of grit, and once a week, I'll sprinkle a little on Sam's food, because he's not a seed eater at all.

They don't migrate over Colorado so we speculated it was either blown off course or had escaped someone. We ran ads for it but no one ever claimed the bird.
since they are not native to the US, it was most likely an escape- or possibly even a release (I HATE HATE HATE HATE when people do that shit). Birds are capable of flying hundreds of miles in a single day, so your ads may not have reached the owner, or the owner saw and didn't care.
He lived with the budgie for a while, until they fought and the budgie pulled out a bunch of his feathers and he cracked the budgie's beak. Then they got separate cages and he went into one of those awful round things meant for display on a tottering three legged stand.
Cringes all around. and this, folks, is why different species of parrots should never be kept together. I saw one of those animal psychics on TV one day- a family had an amazon and some other smaller parrot, a quaker I think, and informed the psychic that the birds lived together in the same cage and 'loved' each other. But the Quaker had pulled all his belly feathers out. The 'psychic' told them that the quaker just wanted to know the owners still thought he was beautiful. I cussed her out and changed the channel- the poor quaker was all kinds of stressed out living with the larger, more aggressive Amazon and needed its own cage! GRAH!
I rescued a keet from one of those cages. She was an 8 year old albino who kind of glowed blue- she was gorgeous. Poor thing had been in that cage her whole life. She couldn't fly forward, only vertically. When given out of cage time, she would fly up until she hit the ceiling, and then just bump across it until she got where she wanted to go. All the other keets would fly happy laps around the room.
We don't know why he died, but one day he just did. Then my Ma moved the budgie's caged to clean under it and left it in a draft in front of the fire place all night long. The bird was dead the next morning.
'Drafts' are actually not that bad for birds. Sometimes, the germs or smoke they may bring in can be, but a bird who is otherwise healthy and fed the proper diet and such will not 'be killed by a draft'. Birds are generally prey animals- even the birds of prey are not at the top of the food chain- so they are extremely good at hiding signs of illness. You really have to know what is normal, and be aware of even the smallest abnormal behavior. Sadly, the most common cause of keet and tiel death is actually starvation- their seed cup looks full, but it's just empty shells on top and they can't get to the seeds underneath. That's part of why I started going with shallow dishes. The bird may have been old or sick. I would be more willing to blame smoke and soot being blown down from the chimney than the actual draft the bird was getting.
Once I've had these guys a few years, I plan on adding zebra finches and one of the medium parrots (I adore green cheeked conures and sun conures and I like the cockatiels). We have the room and the means to take care of them; it's only a matter of saving the money for the proper cages, toys, and other needs.
Just don't keep them in the same cage! Zebra finches are ... I won't say aggressive, but they can be cheeky- like house sparrows. They can pick on other species of finches. Most of the other species of small finch can be housed together just fine and they'll get along great. Canaries can also be territorial and a bit aggressive, again like a sparrow, but they can get along with smaller finches. I had a huge cage and kept many species, including two male canaries and zeebs and a bunch of others and they did fine- as long as there weren't any nests available. When I offered nests, the zeebs became territorial over them, and would even kill the eggs and nestlings of other birds. The Canaries had been brothers, and it's usually best if two males are not kept in the same cage because they may fight. The brothers though, had their dominance dispute, and then went on to live long, happy lives together in the aviary with all the other finches.
When I had my sparrow, I knew he would most likely pick on my finches, and I knew that keets and house sparrows have similar personality types- so I had Tseebit living with them until he had a cage of his own after the keets were gone.
The diamond doves I keep as a flock to themselves because the finches tended to use them as 'personal fluff dispensers' and that wasn't very nice to the extremely mellow doves. (please note- pigeons and many larger doves can be aggressive)
The bars are all vertical, so the birds won't be able to climb unless we install perches and ladders.
You will be amazed at how well they will learn to climb the vertical bars too!

and the clappers on the bells are all the solid kind that they can't pick off and swallow.
I've heard of birds doing this, but I have never experienced it. Birds seem to be extremely good about not swallowing things that arent' food. At least, keets and tiels in my experience are. Keets especially are gnawers and will help make their nesting holes just right by chewing the wood, so it would make sense that they'd be good about spitting stuff out again. I can't vouch for any larger birds.

These guys are young --- some of them aren't quite fully fledged --- so it's entirely possible they could learn that. It seems to me it would take care of a lot of potential mess (I've been told they like to bathe in their water supply and that they can't help pooping in it if it's an open dish...ick!)
The younger they are, the easier it is. They tend to be even more curious, and not set in their ways, so the conversion can take as little as a day. With my older birds, I think it helped that the flock already knew how to use the bottle, and they picked it up from them.
My diamond doves learned from my finches who the zebra finches taught because of their curiosity. My parent doves taught their kids, and the dad and daughter I have currently taught the new pair I just added. The new guys were using the bottle in less than a week.
We can get the Lixit brand from our local Petco! (Mail order is always a mess because of the rural route and if you can't get into your PO box, they tend to send things back).
For food dish- I loved this model for the keets.
That looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'd be able to find one locally. Until we can --- you know we plan on upgrading to better and better the longer we have them --- I'm thinking the ceramic ones they have at the store work well. They look sort of like the cockatiel bath you linked to but without the perch. The books I have say to set the food dishes (multiples, at least one for each bird, in different locations) on the bottom of the cage. These have that wide curved opening so they can get into the dish and a shallow cupping at the bottom.
I think everything I listed, I bought at Petco. A few things may have been found at Petsmart. Try the associated websites for those stores if you have to.
One of the books says once a week they should be fed a few tablespoons full of cottage cheese mixed with other things I can't remember. How odd? Another friend occasionally gave hers fresh sardines and other small fish, but I thought these guys were primarily seed and fruit eaters?
I have HEARD of people giving their birds cottage and hard cheeses... but I refuse to. I can't imagine it being good for them. Birds are not mammals, they never drink milk. They are lactose intolerant.
The fish... I can understand a bit more, I'm sure wild budgies may eat a few insects, but they are mostly seed eaters, with a few greens and fruit thrown in.
My keets enjoyed a bit of Zupreem pellets- fruity flavored ones, and the cockatiel LaFaber pellets. For some reason they preferred the larger size of the cockatiel ones over the parakeet sized ones. LaFaber is a bit expensive, but very worth it. It was recommended to me by some bird knowledgeable folks, as well as a couple of vets. Most bird experts will tell you that the pellet diets are the best thing for birds, because it's nutritionally complete.
I've discovered that saying to a raven, "Please stop breaking stuff" just doesn't work.
BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! That is SO true. Sam knows that "Leave it!" means "put it down and hop away or Mom'll make me go back into my cage... which is boring. Soooo... I'm going to leave it for a moment, and then go back to it, and then play a round of tag when Mom gets up to yell at me again! HA HA!"
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

TNHawke wrote:Not true! Keets love cuttlebone.
Ahhh, my books are dated. Like most pet information, I have several and I don't agree with all the information (one of them says that budgies can't learn anything, just treat them like songbirds...er, no, I don't think so!) but I've done my best to accumulate what I can and sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I have access to a few bird communities but WOW. The politics. And the ignorance. I think I'll stick with the more reputable sites, MS, and the books.
It's grit that they don't need and shouldn't have.
That I knew. The cage, by the way, is even better than I thought. It stands almost five feet tall and a good three feet deep. It's absolutely HUGE for two budgies, so if this goes well there may be more in the future. Shoot, it would be huge for the two cockatiels the company says is its normal capacity. The perches are a bit big around, in my opinion, for budgie feet, but they won't be the only ones in there. We found some lovely manzanita branches at the Petco which have all sorts of different sizes toward the end and screw into the bars of the cage.

We got into a friendly family argument about which Sunday newspaper would be used to line the cage :lol: Suggestions ranged from Wall Street Journal to the local Jacksonville Times-Union but in the end the New York Times won because it has the most pages and we'll only have to buy one every few weeks.

Payday is this Thursday. We can get the budgies any time after that, my husband says. Earlier in the week we went to the Petco to see what they had available. I was right...the most personable one I fell in love with is a male pied...he is mostly pale yellow with some black and grey marks (looks just like the pied version of the cockatiel). His tail had been chewed on -- the lady says they tend to pick on the more unusually colored birds for some reason --- but his vent was clean and his eyes were bright. He was very active, kept coming up to me and cheeping.

The doves have a mix of a couple brands of grit, and once a week, I'll sprinkle a little on Sam's food, because he's not a seed eater at all.
If it's not meat (or a few choice fruits like strawberries) Jenna won't touch it. When I can, there's a butcher near to hand and we have her food made to order. He doesn't use junk meats on it, just the stuff that is too small or not quite up to the quality his clients expect. So yeah...the grit goes over the food. She has a weakness for crackers though. They frequently eat those on stake-outs and whenever one of the agents unwraps one of those Captain Jack cracker sandwiches, she dive bombs them trying to get at it. It's just easier to give her one of the crackers.

I ought to put some grit out for the doves which come to the feeder. Hadn't thought of it (and this is getting more into wildlife territory, since these little guys live outside) but I suppose they use the sand from the road?

it was most likely an escape- or possibly even a release (I HATE HATE HATE HATE when people do that shit).
We now have budgies and several species of parrots as incidentals in Florida (even over to St.Augustine, which has a colony of green cheeks) because people have done this. I despise people who release ANY pets, thinking they'll do better in the wild or wherever they're dumped, but these little guys have really adapted. It's not unusual to see colorful flights streaking through the side streets in Miami.
Cringes all around. and this, folks, is why different species of parrots should never be kept together.
At the time, no one knew any better. It was a small town and even having a parrot at all was rather rare. I don't remember the circumstances under which we acquired the budgie but I think he might have been given to us by a well meaning traveling relative. The town I lived in didn't even HAVE a pet store. No, when and if I get more birds --- and I'm a smart enough owner to know if an animal will work out or not --- each species will have their own enclosure. There has been talk, when we build the deck, of including an aviary and I think I would love that for the smaller birds. Apparently several species of finch can live together harmoniously in such an environment.

I don't watch Animal Planet any more because of such shows. I don't, for a moment, believe that the person in question can hear the animal's thoughts or interpret them (though I have known people who had such an empathy and rapport with a single species or breed). So often the information is harmful and wrong. It hurts to see well meaning pet owners encouraged to do damaging things with their pets.
She couldn't fly forward, only vertically.
The cage we bought is a flight cage, so it's deep and high. We won't be able to let them fly freely about because there's too much chance that either the cats would hurt them or that they'd get away into the wild. they'll have 'out' time because I can shut my office off from the general population of the house but I certainly don't want to cause an accident!
Canaries can also be territorial and a bit aggressive, again like a sparrow, but they can get along with smaller finches.
Y'know, canaries are one of the few species of pet birds with which I'm not enamored. I don't like the sounds they make and I don't like their singing. The little finches (they have several kind, not just the zebras) are far more enchanting. I love to just sit there for a few minutes and listen to them when I'm in the pet store. So pretty and soothing!
The diamond doves I keep as a flock to themselves because the finches tended to use them as 'personal fluff dispensers'
Jenna does that to the two eskies. Once, Dee and I got into a conversation and forgot to watch her (yes, we turned our backs on a raven, oops!). She plucked the sleeping dog's tail completely, utterly bare. In the spring when they blow coat she flies around the house picking up the bits of fluff and taking them back to her cage where she makes them into a weird looking nest. It's got bits of yarn, eskie fluff, and just about anything else she can get feet or beak on.

[quoteYou will be amazed at how well they will learn to climb the vertical bars too![/quote]

Really? Wow. I was worried about that, because the books I have (so obviously dated now that I'm talking to a sane bird person) said that they wouldn't be able to climb them at all.

I have HEARD of people giving their birds cottage and hard cheeses... but I refuse to.
The other book I've got explains that it's done for breeding pairs and pairs who tend to get egg bound (which I will not have to worry about as we're getting males). Still, I won't for purely selfish reasons: I like my cottage cheese and I don't want to share :D
My keets enjoyed a bit of Zupreem pellets- fruity flavored ones, and the cockatiel LaFaber pellets.
We've been wavering between the two brands. Is one better for them than the other?
Sam knows that "Leave it!" means "put it down and hop away or Mom'll make me go back into my cage... which is boring. Soooo... I'm going to leave it for a moment, and then go back to it, and then play a round of tag when Mom gets up to yell at me again! HA HA!"
Dee's a bit overindulgent with Jenna. She just sulks and then goes to find something more valuable or important to tear up. She LOVES to shred paper. At least his agency is used to receiving reports with the corners chewed off and they stopped complaining about official documents covered in bird plop.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
FennecFyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by FennecFyre »

Could anyone possibly help me with my pet problems?

How do you correct an aggressive rooster's behavior?

Can a goat produce milk without being bred? My goats have swollen udders.

Could a full udder make them testy?

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help will be appreciated!
ImageImageImage
Alicia, Fenris, and Hattie, guardians of my beasties.
Sometimes I draw things.
I was Wolfcub, and answer to Wolf, FennecFyre, or Fennec.
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

The response to TxCat got long, so I'm going to spoiler it
Spoiler
TxCat wrote:Ahhh, my books are dated.
Are they so dated as to say don't use newspapers because the birds could get lead poisoning from the ink? I remember in the 90s I had some rat books that said that! I have no idea when the last time lead ink was used, but it was a long time ago.
I had one petstore clerk tell me that although Keets are not the clearest speakers, they can have the largest vocabulary. That indicates some type of learning.

. The perches are a bit big around, in my opinion, for budgie feet, but they won't be the only ones in there. We found some lovely manzanita branches at the Petco which have all sorts of different sizes toward the end and screw into the bars of the cage.
*snerk* typing "cage" instead of quote doesn't make for correct coding...
The cage sounds amazing! It's probably intended to be a breeding cage for tiels. Just keep in mind that the more space they have, the happier they'll be. So, even though you COULD keep lots of keets in there, I wouldn't.
With the perches, if the ones it comes with are plastic, pitch them. Keets will eat them, so they'll get trashed anyways. The ridged texture they have is hard on their feet and can be hard to clean. I've also heard and read that plastic is bad for their feet, although I don't know exactly why.
in the end the New York Times won because it has the most pages and we'll only have to buy one every few weeks.
LOL! If you can get it cheap, butcher paper works really well too.
.he is mostly pale yellow with some black and grey marks (looks just like the pied version of the cockatiel). His tail had been chewed on -- the lady says they tend to pick on the more unusually colored birds for some reason --- but his vent was clean and his eyes were bright. He was very active, kept coming up to me and cheeping.
Pretty! I don't know that oddlings get picked on... They do have their pecking orders, literally... The only kind of issue I ever really had was that a pair of keets I was hoping would bond... the girl did NOT like the male I wanted her with. He was highly interested in her, and she chose three different other males over him instead.

I ought to put some grit out for the doves which come to the feeder. Hadn't thought of it (and this is getting more into wildlife territory, since these little guys live outside) but I suppose they use the sand from the road?
They do use the sand from roads. If you do decide to put some out, see if you can get the red pigeon grit. It's really good for them. Just try to keep it dry, otherwise it turns into a brick.

It's not unusual to see colorful flights streaking through the side streets in Miami.
I hear Florida has a LOT of issues with non-native wildlife courtesy of released pets doing extremely well in the environment. Although I've read the Chicago has a flock of quaker parakeets that lives there year round, resulting from escapes and stuff. I think they've banned the keeping of quakers in the city now, because of it.
There has been talk, when we build the deck, of including an aviary and I think I would love that for the smaller birds. Apparently several species of finch can live together harmoniously in such an environment.
Yup! And in Florida, you most likely can leave them out there year round- just make sure they have an area where they can get out of wind and rain.

I don't watch Animal Planet any more because of such shows. I don't, for a moment, believe that the person in question can hear the animal's thoughts or interpret them (though I have known people who had such an empathy and rapport with a single species or breed). So often the information is harmful and wrong. It hurts to see well meaning pet owners encouraged to do damaging things with their pets.
. We won't be able to let them fly freely about because there's too much chance that either the cats would hurt them or that they'd get away into the wild. they'll have 'out' time because I can shut my office off from the general population of the house but I certainly don't want to cause an accident!
They were limited to my bed room with a closed window when they were given free flight time, just for that reason.

Really? Wow. I was worried about that, because the books I have (so obviously dated now that I'm talking to a sane bird person) said that they wouldn't be able to climb them at all.
O.o Did that book ever even WATCH a keet? Sure, it takes them a bit to learn how, but they'll get it.

My keets enjoyed a bit of Zupreem pellets- fruity flavored ones, and the cockatiel LaFaber pellets.
We've been wavering between the two brands. Is one better for them than the other?
LaFaber is the more nutritionally sound one. I think the Zupreem just tastes better. And... honestly, a food can be as healthy as you like, but if the birds refuse to eat it because it tastes like saw dust, it's not going to do them any good. I usually mixed the two, 2 to 1 with LaFaber being the larger portion.
Like, with my doves, I COULD give them a canary mix, but they'll ignore half of it. So, instead, I get them a wild bird, finch mix that is far to expensive to feed to wild birds, but in the end is MUCH cheaper for feeding to my doves. Partly because you get more in the bag for the money, and partly because they actually eat everything in it. And then they also get Zupreem parakeet pellets (they wouldn't touch any of the LaFaber ones, I think it's a shape issue more than a flavor issue)
Dee's a bit overindulgent with Jenna. She just sulks and then goes to find something more valuable or important to tear up. She LOVES to shred paper. At least his agency is used to receiving reports with the corners chewed off and they stopped complaining about official documents covered in bird plop.
Sam doesn't go after corners... he stabs the middle of papers! Over and over... Lol.
Wolfcub wrote:Could anyone possibly help me with my pet problems?

How do you correct an aggressive rooster's behavior?

Can a goat produce milk without being bred? My goats have swollen udders.

Could a full udder make them testy?

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help will be appreciated!
I hope others will have better information for you... but here goes.

Aggressive Rooster? - No. They are naturally territorial. Perhaps if you got another rooster who was more aggressive and put him in his place... but that would just be mean and you'd still have an aggressive rooster on your hands. I do know of non-aggressive roosters, I've met some. We raised two same species roosters when I was kid. One was a quiet, mellow, sweety, the other was a little *&^%$#@! We ended up having to rehome them- the aggressive one because he was mean, and the other because the neighbors were complaining about the crowing. We kept our hen, and she was an amazing pet.

Goats... if they are milk goats... probably? I know cows can and do, so probably.
I know cows that need to be milked will get irritable, because it's uncomfortable to have a full udder.
to fix it... milk them?
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
FennecFyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by FennecFyre »

Today I tried to get a closer look at Stormy's udder while she was eating. I reached out my hand and she just turned and shot daggers at me. I may try again if I can get my dad to help.
ImageImageImage
Sometimes I draw things.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

There's not much which can be done about an aggressive rooster. Generally, I don't keep them unless I have to do so. The amount of aggression often depends on the breed of chicken; some are more aggressive than others and it can vary with the individual too. I have a personal dislike for Bantams and Rhode Island Reds because of that factor; all the roosters and many of the hens too have had aggressive dispositions. When I had a flock, we kept one rooster for the bunch of them. The cocks, when they became old enough to be a problem, went into the freezer to become soup or stew. The chickens with the best dispositions I've had were Buff Orpingtons and barred Wyandottes. The buffs were actually gentle enough to be held and petted even if they were roosters.

You might consider, if you have not already, de-spurring your rooster. This at least will prevent injuries to the rest of the flock and to his humans. A mad rooster really CAN severely injure a fully grown human.

For the goat:

It's been a while since I've had them too, but I think your goat needs to see a vet. In my experience, no goat has ever produced milk without being pregnant. If there's no chance she's pregnant then there's something wrong with the goat or the udder.

According to this site:
Yes. This is what is called being "precocious" and it is not uncommon. On rare occasion, a doe may start making milk without being bred. It is best to just let it be and not milk her. She will eventually reabsorb the "milk". She will probably be a very good milker once she is bred, kids, and begins a true lactation. It will not effect her udder negatively once she kids. From our experience, every precocious doe we've had has filled up on one side more than the other, but once they kidded, they had very nice even udders.
That is the singular exception. However, if she's not a milk goat I would strongly suggest having her seen by a veterinarian. It could be anything from mastitis (an infection of the udder) to a tumor.

That particular site, by the way, has a lot of really good information about goat care and goat milking in general. It might help to read over some of the material or to contact some of the people listed with further questions.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
iDragon
CreaturesTrade

Does this belong here..? I hope so...

Post by iDragon »

Hi there everyone <3

I needed to share this or I'd practically die...

My dog has been with me since I was 1 year old. I'm now almost 14, and she's been wtih me this entire time. We aged together, I cried on her, I hugged her, I lost my friends and I played with her. I love her. She's the best dog ever, and she always obeyed and the such, and was so sweet and patient with our cruelties.

Sometimes we realized we might be getting harsh with her so we calmed down. No matter what, we always loved her. Even when she had little issues and territorial jealously, lol...

Ah...

Today we put her down...
My tears won't stop. They keep flowing. I've tried to force them to hold themselves in but I cannot. I am unable. I just keep sobbing... I couldn't stand it anymore and needed to talk to someone, ANYONE.

I hope-- no, I PRAY-- that she now resides in a bright meadow, with iridescent grass, pastel flowers of glittering beauty, a sky of pure aquamarine and deep, clear lakes of the freshest water.

I love you, Bear. ~<3
Image Kokoro ~ Always remember your Heart Image
Luca
CreaturesTrade

Post by Luca »

Glad I found this thread. :wave:

I'm a vet tech student, and I currently work at a doggy daycare. I've also previously volunteered/worked at a local animal shelter for a very long time. :) I have a lot of experience in dog behavior, both solitary dogs and dogs in pack situations, and a little bit of knowledge in dog training and dog health care. So if you have any questions, I can try and answer them to the best of my knowledge. ^_^

I currently own two dogs: Jackie, my 9-year old German Shepherd (adopted her almost 3 years ago), and Remmy, my 7-ish year old Greyhound/Pit Bull mix (adopted him almost 6 years ago).

I also own one cat: Peaches, my 3-year old Turkish Van (adopted her last summer).

I did have another GSD, Ranger, who passed away last Spring from bone cancer. And four days before that my cat died suddenly of heart failure.

I also wrote an article on Dog Park Etiquette, if any of you would be interested in viewing it. You can read it here: Dog Park Etiquette. :hooray:
ImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Luca wrote:I also wrote an article on Dog Park Etiquette
Boy, do I wish more people would read articles like that and act on them! We used to go to the dog park regularly but I won't go any more since we had an incident. I had enrolled one of my dogs in an obedience class at the local dog park (it's one of those ones where they're free roaming and they have pools for the dogs to swim in and playground equipment for them as well as assorted play areas for digging). The instructor asked some of those attending to go out into the dog park and get some of the lawn chairs to bring them back into the classroom arena.

My husband did so and was chased all the way back to the building by five medium sized dogs (I don't recall the breed except it was a pure breed of some sort and relatively unique). One of them bit him on the calf and thigh. The owner just laughed and said they were being playful.

No. Your dog BIT someone. That's not being playful, that's aggression and it needs stopped.

I no longer take two of my dogs to the park because they began displaying aggressive behavior to other dogs as they got older. That's being a responsible pet owner. The other two enjoy socializing but they don't exactly listen when called, so I don't take them either. In my mind, if you don't have control of the pet it's really unfair to inflict them on everyone else.

And now a tangent:

We got our budgies! I have a solid yellow and one which is the more classic slate blue but turned out, judging from the build and other characteristics, to be an English budgie. Whirr is the solid yellow and he's everywhere he can managed to be. His wing feathers are just starting to come in so I suppose I'll have to either take him to the exotic vet or learn to clip wings myself (my girlfriend has some experience with that as she's cared for larger parrots). The other guy is a little older (his name is Wobble) and has been handled more. He doesn't mind you stroking his stomach, though he won't let anyone grab him, and he'll probably learn to step up soon (he keeps reaching for the finger with his little clawed feet). Both are enjoying the huge flight cage and spend all day clambering up and down the bars, testing perches, and playing with the toys.

I think Whirr might learn to talk or mimic sounds. He watches me closely when I'm speaking and I've caught him making motions with his beak while making a curious sort of mumbling noise. Both are already starting to reproduce the whistle pitches I use when talking to them. We discovered they like Johnny Cash and will actually shriek and scold if the music gets shut off or changed to something else. They also like Nina Simone and some of the old jazz artists.

Right now I'm just getting a kick out of watching them. We wanted to give them a few days to settle in so I'm not really trying to handle them or bother them much.

The cats love them! They'll sit there at the foot of the cage just watching and chittering softly (yes, I know that's a predator response but they're supervised and they can't get to the birds...everyone gets shoveled into their respective habitats for the night).

FennecFyre
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by FennecFyre »

TxCat wrote:
Luca wrote:I also wrote an article on Dog Park Etiquette
Boy, do I wish more people would read articles like that and act on them! We used to go to the dog park regularly but I won't go any more since we had an incident. I had enrolled one of my dogs in an obedience class at the local dog park (it's one of those ones where they're free roaming and they have pools for the dogs to swim in and playground equipment for them as well as assorted play areas for digging). The instructor asked some of those attending to go out into the dog park and get some of the lawn chairs to bring them back into the classroom arena.

My husband did so and was chased all the way back to the building by five medium sized dogs (I don't recall the breed except it was a pure breed of some sort and relatively unique). One of them bit him on the calf and thigh. The owner just laughed and said they were being playful.

No. Your dog BIT someone. That's not being playful, that's aggression and it needs stopped.

I no longer take two of my dogs to the park because they began displaying aggressive behavior to other dogs as they got older. That's being a responsible pet owner. The other two enjoy socializing but they don't exactly listen when called, so I don't take them either. In my mind, if you don't have control of the pet it's really unfair to inflict them on everyone else.

And now a tangent:

We got our budgies! I have a solid yellow and one which is the more classic slate blue but turned out, judging from the build and other characteristics, to be an English budgie. Whirr is the solid yellow and he's everywhere he can managed to be. His wing feathers are just starting to come in so I suppose I'll have to either take him to the exotic vet or learn to clip wings myself (my girlfriend has some experience with that as she's cared for larger parrots). The other guy is a little older (his name is Wobble) and has been handled more. He doesn't mind you stroking his stomach, though he won't let anyone grab him, and he'll probably learn to step up soon (he keeps reaching for the finger with his little clawed feet). Both are enjoying the huge flight cage and spend all day clambering up and down the bars, testing perches, and playing with the toys.

I think Whirr might learn to talk or mimic sounds. He watches me closely when I'm speaking and I've caught him making motions with his beak while making a curious sort of mumbling noise. Both are already starting to reproduce the whistle pitches I use when talking to them. We discovered they like Johnny Cash and will actually shriek and scold if the music gets shut off or changed to something else. They also like Nina Simone and some of the old jazz artists.

Right now I'm just getting a kick out of watching them. We wanted to give them a few days to settle in so I'm not really trying to handle them or bother them much.

The cats love them! They'll sit there at the foot of the cage just watching and chittering softly (yes, I know that's a predator response but they're supervised and they can't get to the birds...everyone gets shoveled into their respective habitats for the night).
I'd love to have a little bird that I could teach to talk, but I have two cats and a friendly but large dog, so I'm not sure it would be smart. Mom says that when she was younger she had let a budgie out of it's cage. While it was flying around, one of the cats jumped and snatched it mid-air.
ImageImageImage
Sometimes I draw things.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”