Self-Injury

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

LightningDragon
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: Self-Injury

Post by LightningDragon »

VoodooChild wrote:I used to self-harm myself, mostly because as a child I was sexually abused and it caused me to hate myself. I used to cut and scratch a lot but now it's very rarely and only if I'm under a lot of emotional stress, my husband helped me with it. A lot of people didn't care cause they thought I was doing it for attention but a lot of times I will do it while I sleep, so no it's not for attention I used to think that it kept my emotions under control. Turned out it just helped me hide it from myself so I wouldn't have to deal with it and it just got worse, self-harm does NOT make it better but talking about your emotions with someone you love and trust DOES.
I completely agree with this! Being with someone who loves you and sees the best about you can make everything better - and I do talk from experience. The difference that even a year can make is amazing.
ImageImageImage
Muruki
CreaturesTrade

Post by Muruki »

I self harm. It's really bad, I know. But it's become an addiction. Never start you won't 've able to stop!
Hey. I'm depressed. I self harm. I can be annoying. If you don't want to deal with me then that's understandable.
And if I post and you reply I probably won't see it I'm sorry. I always check my pms though.
IAmKuromiSparkachu
CreaturesTrade

x

Post by IAmKuromiSparkachu »

• i have a few mental issues that hinder my impulse control...
        i sometimes used to drink mouthwash/handsoap in small doses, enough to give me stomach pains but not enough to die from...

also used to bite or dig my nails into my upper arms but i've slowly stopped that..
        my coping method is to draw out a character i use to represent myself and draw slashes where i want to hurt myself. works for me. or if in doubt hold ice cubes until the pain is too much or simply go to bed with the lights out.

Image Image Image
Muruki
CreaturesTrade

Re: x

Post by Muruki »

IAmKuromiSparkachu wrote:
      • i have a few mental issues that hinder my impulse control...
        i sometimes used to drink mouthwash/handsoap in small doses, enough to give me stomach pains but not enough to die from...

also used to bite or dig my nails into my upper arms but i've slowly stopped that..
        my coping method is to draw out a character i use to represent myself and draw slashes where i want to hurt myself. works for me. or if in doubt hold ice cubes until the pain is too much or simply go to bed with the lights out.

I'm glad you're doing better. :)
Hey. I'm depressed. I self harm. I can be annoying. If you don't want to deal with me then that's understandable.
And if I post and you reply I probably won't see it I'm sorry. I always check my pms though.
nowai
CreaturesTrade

Post by nowai »

What I hate about some reactions to self harm is the fact that people say "you should stop" or "promise you won't do it again"...Like that's not going to help me stop self-harming. In fact that'll put more pressure on me and make me distance myself to avoid hurting you.
Image Image Image Image
Muruki
CreaturesTrade

Post by Muruki »

nowai wrote:What I hate about some reactions to self harm is the fact that people say "you should stop" or "promise you won't do it again"...Like that's not going to help me stop self-harming. In fact that'll put more pressure on me and make me distance myself to avoid hurting you.
I've heard those exact two things from my friend just the other day. and that is so true. the best thing to ask of a self harmer (well the ones who cut) to keep their blades and cuts clean. that's all you can ask of us. anything else makes us upset like you said nowai.
Kayote
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kayote »

A side effect of my severe PMDD is two weeks out of the month hearing a voice in my head that urges me to hurt myself. No reason, it's just something that I need to do. Thankfully I have not given in to that voice and my doctors are still messing with meds to make it stop but it's been two years of having this voice in my head tell me to do awful things.

I have yet to find a definitive coping mechanism other than cuddling my dog. I tried the hair band around the wrist thing but I just snapped it over and over again until my wrist was raw. I'm fighting it as hard as I can but it's just really hard. There's not a whole lot of people with this part of PMDD.
- Image Image -
Icon altered by me, sprite by Umbreonage

My Wishlist!
Gifts are much appreciated and thanks to everyone who has gifted me!
Muruki
CreaturesTrade

Post by Muruki »

Kayote wrote:A side effect of my severe PMDD is two weeks out of the month hearing a voice in my head that urges me to hurt myself. No reason, it's just something that I need to do. Thankfully I have not given in to that voice and my doctors are still messing with meds to make it stop but it's been two years of having this voice in my head tell me to do awful things.

I have yet to find a definitive coping mechanism other than cuddling my dog. I tried the hair band around the wrist thing but I just snapped it over and over again until my wrist was raw. I'm fighting it as hard as I can but it's just really hard. There's not a whole lot of people with this part of PMDD.
what's PMDD? (I'd look it up on the internet but I want to know from a reliable source with first hand knowledge. and I'm too depressed to look it up even though I care a lot about you. some people say it's laziness. I hope it isn't.) I'm sorry you're one of the unlucky ones Its hard to cope with the urges to hurt yourself.
Kayote
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kayote »

Muruki wrote:what's PMDD? (I'd look it up on the internet but I want to know from a reliable source with first hand knowledge. and I'm too depressed to look it up even though I care a lot about you. some people say it's laziness. I hope it isn't.) I'm sorry you're one of the unlucky ones Its hard to cope with the urges to hurt yourself.
It's Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. On top of your average PMS symptoms (which may or may not be worse than average) symptoms include, at least for me...
- Severe depression for two weeks prior
- Anxiety attacks
- Fatigue
- Loss of interest in hobbies, job, or friends
- Loss of appetite
- Depersonalization (losing touch with physical reality)
- Mood swings
- Suicidal or self harm thoughts

Don't worry about doing legwork. Been under the spell of chronic depression for a while so I know that it's rough. Thanks for the concern and I hope you're doing okay too.
- Image Image -
Icon altered by me, sprite by Umbreonage

My Wishlist!
Gifts are much appreciated and thanks to everyone who has gifted me!
Muruki
CreaturesTrade

Post by Muruki »

Kayote wrote:
Muruki wrote:what's PMDD? (I'd look it up on the internet but I want to know from a reliable source with first hand knowledge. and I'm too depressed to look it up even though I care a lot about you. some people say it's laziness. I hope it isn't.) I'm sorry you're one of the unlucky ones Its hard to cope with the urges to hurt yourself.
It's Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. On top of your average PMS symptoms (which may or may not be worse than average) symptoms include, at least for me...
- Severe depression for two weeks prior
- Anxiety attacks
- Fatigue
- Loss of interest in hobbies, job, or friends
- Loss of appetite
- Depersonalization (losing touch with physical reality)
- Mood swings
- Suicidal or self harm thoughts

Don't worry about doing legwork. Been under the spell of chronic depression for a while so I know that it's rough. Thanks for the concern and I hope you're doing okay too.
oh ok. thanks for being concerned. it feels like everything is slipping through my fingers and every one is leaving.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”