Challenge a Furthurz (Insert Prompt, Get Poem/Flash Fiction)

Share any written short stories, novels, or poetry

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

Feathers
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade
Location: About 15,000 feet in the air every time I close my eyes.

Re: Challenge a Furthurz! (and Other Pieces of Varied Nonsen

Post by Feathers »

I'm glad you liked them, Yellowfang. c: Here's my response to your other two prompts. The first one is a bit more light-hearted than the second. I wasn't sure what you meant by 'like' the April one...*shrugs* Hope I did an okay job. c:
:t-dance:
"Regarding One Meeting of Strategy on a Particular Summer Night"

The two cats met not long after the setting of the sun, perched on the porch railing of the older cat's home. Mephistopheles was her name, Misty if you had the right, and she was displeased. The younger cat, Fraidy, (whose humans were not as literary as Misty's human) had failed to meet her in three days and the time for their attack was nearly nigh.

"I have arranged for the target to be unguarded for the time between dawn and my human's rising," Misty told the younger cat, who watched her with the 'I'm-really-desperately-trying-to-pay-attention-but-this-is-all-rather-boring' eyes of a puppy.

"But Mistatopaleese--"

"Mephistopheles." Misty's red fur bristled and Fraidy valiently tried again.

"But Mephatopleelees, my humans expect me back by sunrise or they won't let me inside my house until they return from their elsewheres, and all my toys and snacks and sun-spots are inside my house, and--"

Misty cut him off merely by flattening her ears. "Had you come to our arranged meetings as you promised--"

"I forgot and fell asleep!"

"--then you might have had more input on the timing." Misty was losing what little patience was left to her. In her heart, she knew Fraidy meant no harm, and he was just too pretty to get rid of; of course, the reason he was that pretty was because his mother and father were perfect purebred kittens...from the same parents. Herm. Misty had an incest-free alley-cat lineage and was proud of it.

Fraidy sighed, flicked his long tail's tip. "Okay, Menenifanee," he said meekly, his whole attitude so pitiful that Misty didn't have the heart to correct him this time.

"Good," she said soothingly, trying to make her ears perk up a bit more.

The cats parted ways with nothing else to discuss. The attack on Misty's human's new dog was set for dawn.
"April Rain"

She takes a step back but he follows, so much taller than she, so towering, so strong. And the wall's at her back, she can retreat no further, and he is so close she can feel his body heat, she can feel the air moving to adjust to the rise and fall of his breathing. He's an approaching storm, and she can smell it in the air.

His dark eyes flash and she gasps but forgets how to exhale. Is it fear or exhiliration that electricutes every cell in her body? "I want some answers." For all the danger flowing under his words, his voice is calm, smooth, even soft.

She tries to turn her cheek, shrug her shoulders, but he cups her face in his hand before she can look away. His skin is like a cat's tongue, hot and rough but gentle, careful. "Please." And the danger takes a backseat to soft desperation, lingeringly alarming still. "Let me know. Tell me what you're thinking."

She looks back at him, trying to lessen her awareness of his skin on her cheek, his body so close. His fingers play absently with a curl of hair at her ear. Finally she mutters, ashamed, "There is too much...I...There's... I don't want to break you any worse than you've been broken before, and I don't want you to hurt me any more than I've already been hurt. We're too burnt up for each other. We'll destroy each other and I can't bear that."

He listens to her, unmoving, a lion watching a rustle in the grass. She closes her eyes. She can't look into that ocean of intense sorrow. So when he takes her hand, keeping her face cupped motionless, she is unprepared and her eyes fly open.

He presses her palm to his chest, covering her fingers with his own. She can feel his heart pounding there like a springtime storm against a window, like he's got April rain and thunderstorms and lightning underneath his skin.

"Here's my heart," he murmurs. She is staring at their hands. "It's yours, only yours. It belongs to you, only you. To hold in your hands, to crumble to pieces, to break up and reform or destroy at your lightest whim. My heart is yours..."

He leans closer, his lips a butterfly flutter from hers, his April rainstorm slamming against her palm.

"...and your heart is mine."

(Prelude to 'Ember Heart,' perhaps? I'm not sure myself, ha ha.)
Last edited by Feathers on January 2nd, 2012, 7:06:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
freakazoid
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by freakazoid »

:lol:
Sorry if that wasn't clear...but I love both of them! They're so brilliant. <3
Hmm. How about: hear me now

I love your writing. :t-hugs:
. Image Image Image Image Image .
Selling shards 50k/shard or cats/koalas
(Always) LTB winged cats & meowls
Signature & avatar art by Piney
Feathers
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Feathers »

((Ugh, this reply has been sitting in my journal for a week, Yellowfang; I'm sorry I haven't had the time to type it up until now. ^^;))
"Hearing"

"If you have ever heard me, hear me now." Her voice was so much rougher than it was before, and he stopped in his steps, hand on the handle of his escape. How much she hated, as a kid, to be ignored. He remembered this now and so he froze and put aside, for a moment, his resolve.

She'd always played him like her own personal game.

Having stopped him, she stepped forward, gently turning him to face her with a light hand on his shoulder. He was so much BIGGER than her; she shouldn't be able to turn him with just a small pressure of her tiny hand. But she was. "You've known me for as long as I can remember. I can't remember living without you, or without depending on you for my survival. I feel like I knew your name before I knew my own, and when I'm scared or hurt or happy, you're the first thing I think of." She stopped speaking to gnaw her lower lip and run her fingers across her temples, through her hair. Her beautiful habits, the kind she actually didn't calculate but that still made her look so lovely. She was so different from the half-starved, huge-eyed nine-year-old he'd adopted when he was fourteen, barely old enough to keep himself alive. But in so many ways, she was exactly the same child. Which was why he had to leave now.

As soon as she finished speaking.

"Look, you know I love you. And I know that's not what we're talking about. It's well established that I need you in my life, but that's not the problem." She stepped a tiny space closer, and when he didn't bolt (how could he?) she moved even nearer, near enough to touch his shoulder again with an uncharacteristically shy hand. "I guess what you don't know, and what I barely know, is..." She trails off and her nervousness is more than he can bear. If he could throw his heart at her feet, she could at least say it. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her taller, to her toes. When she gasped sharply, he saw the white border between her skin and his fingers and he eased his grip.

But he didn't let go.

"What?" he snarled, not sure if he was angry or desperate or...well. All he knew was it was taking every inch of strength not to give in to her trembling lip, her wide brown eyes. "What don't I know? Enlighten me."

She stared up at him and he wished for the thousandth time that he didn't have to be like this, all full of ultimatums and venom. He wished he could leave his broken heart on the floor and swallow his pride, but he just couldn't any longer. If he could pretend he hadn't tried to kiss her, hadn't told her all his feelings for her...But she had pushed him away with a laugh on her lips, and that was more than he could hope to carry.

Finally, now, she frowned slightly, so intent and serious. "You don't know how much I want you."

He wasn't hearing her right. "What?"

She huffed and became more like herself again, firm, impatient. Shrugging off his hands, she raised her arms and wrapped them around his neck. Shocked, he let her pull him closer, let her press her body against his. "I don't just need you. I don't know how I would function without you. And it's not even as simple as that. It's...possessive, what I feel for you, and selfish. Very, very selfish. Because of what we've been through together, we own each other in pieces no one else can ever touch, and that's really scary to me. I'm terrified of how much I belong to you, and you to me, and...that..."

But he had leaned his head down and then they were kissing and holding each other and there was nothing more to hear.
freakazoid
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by freakazoid »

:yey: Awesome! <3
. Image Image Image Image Image .
Selling shards 50k/shard or cats/koalas
(Always) LTB winged cats & meowls
Signature & avatar art by Piney
Feathers
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Feathers »

Le bump! c:
Last edited by Feathers on January 2nd, 2012, 3:40:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feathers
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Feathers »

*breathes life into thread*
Last edited by Feathers on January 2nd, 2012, 5:38:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feathers
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Feathers »

OHHEY. Here this is. *coughcough* Erm. Bump?
Faleep
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Challenge a Furthurz (Insert Prompt, Get Poem/Flash Fict

Post by Faleep »

My thingy: "Drifting away"
creatures for sale in my sale tabs! Pm for prices
Selling Shards! 35k per shard! Pm me for more details
i collect/army SB Ammit hatchlings and SB Potootoes
my wishlist,
salt
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by salt »

Prompt: The Slightest Touch.

I just absolutely loved the story with Mathcat's prompt. Just absolutely loved it, so if she doesn't mind...could this be a second chapter to it? :haha:

studying HARD MAN
watching: myself procrastinate really hard
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

come shopping at the holy trinity xo

-------
selling lots of stuff | buying SB fire/ice kitsunes
Android
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Android »