Pets

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Genavelle
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pets

Post by Genavelle »

I have two kitties and I looove them. My grandma also has two kitties and they're growing on me. My cats are a Himalayan and a torti, and hers are just white/gray and white/orange...Sometimes I think my torti doesn't know she's a cat because she can get pretty crazy and I have caught her drinking out of the toilet. I love her anyways, she's just special.

We've been looking to buy a new scratching post- the kind with some nice beds and places for the kitties to hang out. But both my grandma's cats are 2-3 times the size of a normal cat...From looking online and reading reviews, it seems that a lot of scratching posts are design for kittens or small cats so it's been challenging to find one that I think all of the kitties will be able to enjoy. Anybody else have an xl kitty and encounter problems like that? I know my grandma also had to get small dog cages to transport her cats in the car...
Jenn
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jenn »

We have a 15 lb cat. We built our own scratching post/perch/climbing tree for the cats out of driftwood from our creek, an old plant stand, carpet remnants from a friend's bathroom remodel and an old desk that had one broken side and would have been thrown out anyway; ended up just costing us the price of screws and time. Both cats love it and we made sure there were places where even the big cat had plenty of room. Building your own if you have the time and inclination might be your best bet.
Slowly working on finishing my creature collection, and adding to breeding pairs for all the creatures I have missed over time...
Genavelle
CreaturesTrade

Post by Genavelle »

Jenn wrote:We have a 15 lb cat. We built our own scratching post/perch/climbing tree for the cats out of driftwood from our creek, an old plant stand, carpet remnants from a friend's bathroom remodel and an old desk that had one broken side and would have been thrown out anyway; ended up just costing us the price of screws and time. Both cats love it and we made sure there were places where even the big cat had plenty of room. Building your own if you have the time and inclination might be your best bet.
Ha as much as I admire the effort and creativity of constructing your own scratching post, I don't think that would really work out well for us. None of us really have any construction knowledge or good materials and I think we would just make a big mess and some ugly contraption that would break as soon as a cat jumped on it. I did find a couple of scratching posts that had good reviews for big kitties, so I think we'll be okay but I was just thinking about the whole deal.
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

I have an 18+ pound cat (who is NOT fat!), named Pooka, and got a scratcher tower from Petsmart for about $200. Other than needing re-aphoulstered 3 years later, it's stood up quite well to Pooka, multiple normal sized adult cats, a whole slew of kittens AND a raven!

My parents have one from Costco that their 3 fat cats haven't been able to break or knock over yet, although I'm not sure that a cat as long and tall as Pooka would enjoy theirs.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
kenshingirl
CreaturesTrade

Post by kenshingirl »

hello i'm quit new..

Hi, to introduce yourself on this forum please use this section.

BradTheMad
momobird
CreaturesTrade

Post by momobird »

Pet bird here, breed feisty Peach Front Conure. She acts like a dog sometimes.... jumping down from her cage and following us around the house. You typically know when that happens when the usual call " Dead bird walking" is shouted out. But we all still love her. And it isn't that common. only like once in a while when Her wing feathers are clipped so she can't fly. Guess she forgets that.
my close Companions:
Image Image Image Image
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

Does she say "dead bird walking", or does she have a sound that you call that?
She just wants to be with her flock. Sounds like a cutie.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
momobird
CreaturesTrade

Post by momobird »

We say "Dead bird walking", not her. Started out as a small joke. turned into a regular thing. Also we ever I give her a bath my mom calls her a drowned rat cause of how her green feathers turn blackish when they come in contact with water. also She puffs up when she gets comfortable on my shoulder. I remember having a few friends over and them freaking out cause she puffed up. I understand some birds do this as a sign of irritation or even fear, but not Momo. She does this when she feels comfortable or when I'm petting her. She trusts me a lot. I can pet around her wings or touch them lightly without her getting provoked. I use this method to get her to raise her wings so we can clip the feathers when they get to long. She also doesn't mind me petting under her wings. No one else I think can do this with her, which is cool.
my close Companions:
Image Image Image Image
Skydiver
CreaturesTrade

Post by Skydiver »

TxCat wrote:
Picking up after your pet ensures the pet will be welcome again and will be viewed as a good citizen. I just don't see any valid reason for not doing so.
In my country, law says that you're excused from picking up the dog poo if you're blind (and you have a guide dog) or if it's on some place where you can't reach it, but otherwise you have to clean after your dog CX
cusith
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by cusith »

Dog....well actually puppy owner here. She's almost a year now, weighing in at about 50ish pounds. She's a brown and white Husky x Border Collie x Pyreneese mix. Her name is Raziel and she's a little spitfire, has a lot more of that Husky independence streak than I would like, but I love her to bits! Smart as a whip, but sometimes likes to only listen when there's something in it for her, lol.
Growley watches over the HatchlingsImage Please DO NOT Mine my Keep. Thank You.
ImageImageImageImage
Looking for a 1x1

Return to “Hall of Speakers”