Bad Grammar - Bothersome?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Serveralheart
CreaturesTrade

Re: Bad Grammar - Bothersome?

Post by Serveralheart »

I absolutely cannot stand bad grammar. If someone's arguing with me and they use horrible grammar or text talk, *cough cough* no thank you. I'm going to a point where if someone is arguing with me on the internet and they use the wrong there, their, they're, I will point them out because it's just frustrating to me. If you want to argue with me, at least use full words, not 'blah blah blah blah, y? Blah blah blah u.'
I fully understand if there's a reason for grammatical errors, but I can't understand text talk. I don't know if text talk is considered bad grammar but it's annoying because half the time I don't understand,
ertdf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ertdf »

This is a very difficult topic from my point of view.

As English is not my native I do countless amounts of mistakes too. :D It took me many years to consentrate just typing the text and not checking grammar book for every other sentence. For example articles and prepositions are pain, but also some other structures (no idea how they are called, though).

On the other hand, I understand much better if others use proper grammar too. I simply don't understand anything when discussion is like 'gg ty!'. For me that means only 'Err... What are you trying to say...?' And when it comes like 'How u do blahblah?' Well... 'I don't know any 'u' that can do anything'. In addition, when these 'u's are in mathematical context, when 'u' can mean almost anything (substitution, step function, etc.), it is even more difficult. I'd be very glad if there was a 'weird almost-English to English' dictionary. :derp:
signature by HopingFaith
Keep sale - please pm for prices!
Tekla
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tekla »

Bad grammar bothers me a lot because a single error can change the entire meaning of a sentence, but also because I was raised to use and understand good English so it is often very difficult for me to understand sentences that have lots of errors.

Not to mention some of the errors are really kind of...ridiculous, I guess, because it's easy to learn the correct way and move past the errors - like loose/lose or they're/their/there. My biggest pet peeves, however, are overuse/improper use of commas and failure to properly use apostrophes. I always see people using possessive apostrophes to denote plurals - for example, "cat's" (which is singular possessive) when they actually mean "cats" (plural). I'm always asking myself "wait, cat's what? what is the cat owning?" when I see things like that.

It also bothers me that people who write poorly and make no attempt to do better want to be considered mature and thought of as adults. If you write like a child who is still learning, I have no reason to think you aren't a child still learning. If you want to be thought of as mature or adult in a text-based environment, your writing style must reflect that.

I make reasonable allowances for typos and occasional errors (I'm not immune), and I don't care too much about capitalization all the time. I tend to be easier on foreigners whose first language is not English, especially those who are early on in their studies.

ImageImageImage
~
ImageImageImageImageImage
--
"Oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire!"
Brynmala
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Brynmala »

Tekla wrote: I'm always asking myself "wait, cat's what? what is the cat owning?" when I see things like that.
This is one that really annoys me in general. I once saw a sign on a market stall selling clothes. It said "Jean's £10". I *very* nearly went up and said 'I'm Jean, please can I have my £10?" Didn't quite have the nerve though.
Thank you to everyone who gifted me :)
Image "Just one small aubergine..."

RIP Phoebe (avatar cat) - 1995 - 2nd June 2012

nice ninjas?
Spoiler
Mine:
Sitting:

For Sale, Gender swap PM me to discuss.
FluffyRobi
CreaturesTrade

Post by FluffyRobi »

by just taking a look at the way i type, im a very casual person, on the account of the fact that i believe that i have EARNED the right to refuse to capitalise things and use text talk like "lol" and "lmao." with my years on years on years of proper grammar, ive earned this!
however, i still use proper punctuation and terms, and i absolutely despise it when people don't. i understand that grammar can be hard for some people, as everybody experiences things differently, but is it REALLY that hard to run your longer posts through a quick spell check? there are free sites that literally tell you what's wrong with the sentence you just wrote.
im an avid roleplayer, using just about every platform i can get my hand on; i come across a LOT of people who can't seem to grasp the idea of proper grammar. ive actually started to refuse to roleplay with people if they have bad grammar- which gets me called a 'prude' quite often.
however, when it comes to grammar, you also have to approach it from the idea of comprehension problems. if you cant bother to figure out the proper use of "they're," "their," and "there," then you're going to make it unnecessarily hard for someone to read your sentence. it's kinda rude, y'know? like, yeah sure my regular typing is super casual, but when i post proper posts, my grammar is serious. the least you could do is check it a little?
(i will also admit that i have a HUGE pet peeve involving oxford commas- well, rather, the lack of the use of an oxform comma- and "it's" and "its" because they mean VASTLY different things)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
[ and im a creature of a culture that i create ]
Cashmere
CreaturesTrade

Post by Cashmere »

Bad grammar does bother me, not to say I'm perfect. I dont always capitalize or punctuate properly but i try my best to at least spell correctly (im actually a diagnosed dyslexic but i proof read and heavily rely on spellcheck lol). nd as long as ur not typin lik dis then I'm totally fine with the occasional lol etc. I just feel that intentional bad grammar and chat speak looks terrible and sounds immature. Also it actually hurts my brain trying to read it sometimes.
~lots of creatures need good homes in my Sale/Trade tab!!~
MajestyYoungblood
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MajestyYoungblood »

I personally don't mind "text talk," (like LOL or BTW). I tend to use it to shorten my statement. Though, since I am to be a writer, I follow all the rules I can. If someone else does it, it bugs me, but I'm not gonna berate them about it.
Saavi Youngblood
currently less active playing Honkai Impact 3rd and Genshin Impact! Image
Leskychuchu
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Leskychuchu »

I don't mind people who use text talk like "brb," or "ty/yw" or something, as long as they're not overusing it or using it for things that don't really need it. I tend to use text talk every now and then. I also don't mind emotes as long as people don't spam them and make huge walls of emotes or anything. As for things like proper capitalization and such, I find myself doing it without thinking much (sometimes I even capitalize something when it shouldn't be on accident, though I usually notice and fix it), and it does bother me most of the time when someone doesn't properly capitalize things or use apostrophes, or uses the wrong 'their' or something, but I'm able to ignore it pretty well, as I don't find it that big of a deal if someone does that every now and then. If they do it constantly though,I'll get pretty annoyed, but I'm still able to read it fine if they do that. For people who misspell a lot of words, even on purpose, it becomes harder to read and focus on what they're actually trying to type, unless they only do it in one sentence as a joke or something.

Overall, I think people can use emotes and text talk most of the time, but if they misspell a lot of words and don't ever use proper capitalization it can get annoying.
Swiftla
CreaturesTrade

Post by Swiftla »

Everyone seems to have a similar opinion that I agree with. Chatspeak looks lazy and gives the impression that the writer IS lazy, uneducated or doesn't care less about how they are perceived. Which is fine, but I don't really want anything to do with that if you won't take the extra.5 seconds to add in proper spelling.

When I'm speaking to close friends, I'd say it's fine if both parties don't care. I'll use inside jokes or random abbreviations with certain people since both of us use it and think its acceptable/funny. But online? If it's more than a mistake or a fluke, I have no interest in reading anything you have to say.
UniqueZephlyn
CreaturesTrade

Post by UniqueZephlyn »

I personally don't care TOO much for it.. But there is a line that I believe you should not cross. An occasional " Omg!" or " Rlly?" Is kinda okay with me, but if you can't write out "You" Then why I should I even reply? Basically, Maybe one chatspeak word is okay , but if your message looks like this:
Spoiler
Omg Y u Do ths?
Then I probably will ignore it. I personally wish people would be more literate online, but then again I am not everybodys Mom/Teacher/ Personal Grammar Nazi/Talking Rabbit Spellchecker :D
I also understand that a lot of people are dyslexic as you said, and I think you are just being flat out rude if you criticise them about how they were born, so basically I try not to correct random people as I don't know if they are actually dyslexic behind that screen. All in all, it bugs me, but I'll try not to criticise anyone just because they don't want to type out " By the way.."
Spoiler
-gone!-
Thank you. Ordered by how badly they need clicks. I'll try and go through to give clickbacks if I have time <3

Return to “Hall of Speakers”