Bestiary Tropes?

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
audrei9
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Bestiary Tropes?

Post by audrei9 »

IDK if I'm the only one who really likes to read the lore entries on various creatures.

One thing in common is that they would present a regular looking creature, then talk about the creature's powers such as fire bending or something. I think that element bending is the most common of the powers I've seen, but I've yet to make a list since I haven't read every single entry. A bunch of people really liked watching Avatar the last airbender right?

Other common sightings are emotional control and invisibility. Emotional control, or rather, calming people's emotions and making them happy, is common among many creatures that look more like household pets than battle buddies. They're really common among valentines day releases.

Strangely, I've only ever seen one example of telekinesis. It was from the amagnae entry, where they were said to throw items when angered. Possible other examples would be the falx and nazar owl, who can control only certain things with telekinesis, such as bones or metal and wood items.

Another trope I've noticed is where a creature made of a certain substance will eat more of the substance as food, or to heal. Examples are the vetus which eats ice, the glass phoenix which eats glass, the inferno or corrupted hound which eats bones, the dulcine amagnae which eats sugar, there are probably more examples but those are what I can think of.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Community Discussion”