Personality Types!

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TheNewBlack
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Personality Types!

Post by TheNewBlack »

I also typed as an INFP but I don't totally agree with it. The thing is, I scored equally between introverted and extroverted, thinking and feeling, but my psychologist just arbitrarily decided I was INFP because Myers Briggs doesn't allow for that. Clearly people can scored between types, and in fact most people will because that's how the bell curve works, but according to Myers Briggs, that's impossible. I think it's fun, but it's a pretty outdated model and is a little too simplified.

Personally, I prefer the Enneagram test. If you haven't already taken it, I highly recommend it. It takes into account human variation and allows for greater possibilities rather than trying to cram people into categories. I felt it was pretty accurate for me. It gives you a primary type, a subtype, and accounts for traits you may share with other types as well, plus gives you one of three variants. It can be complicated, but it helps you find your specific type.

Google it, there are lots of versions of it, some good and some not so good. I typed as 8w7sx
Haven't been on Magistream in several months. Any gifts of recent creatures would be greatly appreciated!
ImageImageImageImageImage
GingerThea
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by GingerThea »

INTJ-A and description matches me almost perfectly. When I showed it to my family they were speechless because how accurate it is. I took this test many times (first in english, then in my native language) and I've always had got the same result.
Bluewyrm wrote: I think the "Thinking versus ~feeling~" questions are really dumb. When you make logical decisions, the way actions will make people (including yourself) feel is a very real and concrete factor. Generally, people who believe otherwise make the kind of "logical" decisions that just make things worse down the road!
I believe that you feel this way about this section just because you're "F" instead of "T" (and there's nothing wrong with that). I'm a very rational person, and almost always put logic over emotions – sometimes even to the point when you could easily call me heartless or detached – really. For me the "feeling factor" is absolutely unimportant when it comes to making decisions, that's how I am. It does not mean that I don't feel anything – I do, I really do, but I let my brain decide, not heart. And, what is funny, my friends and family often ask me for advices, because they know, that I can offer neutral solution to their problems – which almost always work in the end

But I have to admit that for me one of the hardest part is letting myself FEEL. It's very easy to push your emotions aside and act like they're not a part of yourself. Do you know how often I cry? Almost never, even when I feel it would help me a lot. Deep inside I feel ;like crying makes me weak, which is stupid, I know, but try to explain it to my brain.

Being emotionally cold is also hard because I'm a women – and in my culture we are supposed to be tender and caring (seriously, my mom often tells me, that I have "male brain" and "should be born male", whatever she means by that XD). BUT I feel good with myself and in the past few months I've learned a lot about my strong and weak sides and I wouldn't change my personality for anything else. :)
I click almost everything I see XD
Bluewyrm
CreaturesTrade

Post by Bluewyrm »

No no, I think I test as "F" because I consider people's emotions to be an important factor in logical decisions and part of my science training was in psychology.
I'm a pretty stereotypical "makes decisions based on intellectual knowledge" type person for any problem that doesn't have a social component. I'm a math major, and for a reason. However, I also got to experience the absolute trainwreck aftermath of handling relationships/requests for advice based on tangible benefits instead of emotions, and the result is that I'm very wary of the emotional component to decisions.
ImageImageImageImageImage<-Help grow my train! ImageImageImage
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

Bluewyrm wrote:No no, I think I test as "F" because I consider people's emotions to be an important factor in logical decisions and part of my science training was in psychology.
I'm a pretty stereotypical "makes decisions based on intellectual knowledge" type person for any problem that doesn't have a social component. I'm a math major, and for a reason. However, I also got to experience the absolute trainwreck aftermath of handling relationships/requests for advice based on tangible benefits instead of emotions, and the result is that I'm very wary of the emotional component to decisions.
But, see, that's why you are using feeling (introverted or extroverted, I don't know enough to say yet) when you make decisions. Any decision that has a social component, you feel it's important to consider said social component when making a decision.

Example question: A company has been in the red for several years, and cuts have to be made in order for it to survive.

Do you:

A) Cut as many people out of the company as necessary to get back in to profit as quickly as possible, keeping just enough staff to stay afloat until you get back in to black, when you will then expand staffing levels?

or

B) Cut as few people out of the company as possible, keeping more staff than absolutely necessary and knowing that your overheads on their salaries and expenses mean it will take several additional years before you get back in to profit?
Moebym
CreaturesTrade

Post by Moebym »

INTP or INFP.

SimilarMinds has some very good personality tests.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

All clicks are greatly appreciated.

My DC Scroll
GiraffeAZoid
CreaturesTrade

Post by GiraffeAZoid »

I got ENFP. (Sorry Brad for only answering with this first!)
Personally, myself, I really think "NFP" does fit me, since I've done this test 5 times all separately out through years and four out of five I got something ending with "NFP".
Either INFP or ENFP, its mostly going to stay with a "NFP".
Last edited by GiraffeAZoid on September 4th, 2017, 5:19:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

A friendly reminder to everyone that the HoS is for discussion and not simply posting what result you got from an online test.
Some interesting questions might be:
- do I agree with the results/can I identify myself with a given personality type?
- can anyone simply fit into one of the categories given or do you feel they are too restrictive?
- are these tests accurate or not?
- can you "change personality" as you age or go through certain life experiences or not?

Personally I am absolutely not a fan of these simplistic online tests, the Meyers-Briggs test I have done contained over 800 questions and was done over the span of several days.
I am an INTJ and it fits me 100 percent. Online tests give me INTJ 70 percent of the time but also push me under the Feeling umbrella at times.
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
TheEmbodimentOfKarma
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheEmbodimentOfKarma »

ENTP here, like my mom. My sister says it's a load of baloney, but I find the result fits very well. I took the test twice within 2 years and got the same result both times.
CG: THE WORST IS YET TO COME.
CG: FOR YOU.

eppy
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by eppy »

Every test gives me a different answer but almost all of them give me INFP (or the Idealist). The other gives INTP. I find introvert suits me very well. I don't like go out or hang with other people. My preference is to stay home, read a book, watch Netflix, post on forums... I have a hard time determining between feeling and thinking. I do both. I feel a lot, think a lot. I spend all my time daydreaming. It's probably why my personality types fly all over the place between FP and TP. But if I really put my mind to it, I'm just slightly more of a feeler.

I like the personality tests but sometimes find they're too restrictive. When I read INFP and INTP and what they're like I sort of feel like I'm in the middle. A combination of both. I don't typically believe that there 'are' set types. Categories are too restrictive. I'd more inclined to think people are a combination of at least two types because personalities and people's thoughts and experiences are simply so different.
ImageImageImageImage
Sarcaster
CreaturesTrade

Post by Sarcaster »

Hey friends :wave: ,

Just your friendly neighbourhood INTJ (Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging) here.
I love the Myers-Briggs test! Of all personality type sorting methods, I find their method the most accurate, objective, and research based. There are a large number of questions which -when answered honestly- significantly narrow down the chances of fluke results. However, a grain of salt should be taken with any test results like this, as it is nearly impossible to narrow down a persons identity into a few letters.

Having said that, I do find that my test results are accurate and help me with identifying and understanding certain characteristics of mine, as well as how those characteristics can become strengths.
I would like to direct you who are interested towards the test that I have taken, since it was recommended to me by a Psychology Professor that I had a few years back, as he noted that it was most commonly used by himself and his colleagues. The Humanmetrics test : http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I have taken this same test six times in as many years and have received the same result, so I find it trustworthy. I have also taken the 16personalities test ( https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test )as well once and received the same result, but I didn't find it as serious, which makes me wonder if it was as academically based, or more tailored for entertainment.. I wouldn't know though..

Something interesting that I have experienced in real life, that is in relation to the Myers-Briggs test results is that I have found out, long after having met them, that my three housemates/friends are all of the same personality result as myself, if not very close to it (one is INFJ). Making me wonder if our personality results were what subconsciously attracted us to each other, if somehow through interacting with each other we managed to influence the personality types of the others in order to make them more complementary, or if our meeting and subsequent friendship was the result of some freak coincidence .

Who knows, sometimes a little mystery can be refreshing :)
Hey there!
Please click my boys! I want to see them grow up big and strong!
Any click is an appreciated click!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”