Imaginary worlds in your mind? (Paracosms)

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Re: Imaginary worlds in your mind? (Paracosms)

Postby Andraya » May 28th, 2018, 1:05:37 pm

1. Do you now/ did you ever have a paracosm?
Yup. I have multiple. Usually they come and go depending on how bored I am.

2. If you no longer maintain your paracosm, why did you stop?
Didn't.

3. About what age were you when you began worldplay? About what age were you when you stopped, if you have?
Was about 9 or so.

4. Was there a triggering event that caused you to start a paracosm, or was it just something you always sort of did?
I read Narnia.

5. What is/was your paracosm like? Did it have a name? What was the setting like, and who were the characters? Was there a storyline? Please share whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
Basically it was me inserting miself into fictional worlds.

6. Were you an active player in your paracosm, or were you a passive observer on what the characters there did? If you were active, what were you like there?
Active player and I was very dramatic.

7. Did you ever tell anyone about your paracosm? How do you feel about having one? i.e., was it a big secret that you were guilty about, or were you open about sharing it with others?
Nope. It is just for fun.

8. Did you create your paracosm alone, or with siblings/ close friends?
With authors?

9. How did you play in your world, (by writing, by daydreaming, at night before you fell asleep, etc.)
At night before I fell asleep

10. Were you ever deluded as to the reality of your paracosm, (believed it was a real place you traveled, delusions of godhood, etc.)
Nope

11. Has your paracosm played an important role in your creative life? How?
Yes? It helps me flesh out charecters.

12. Did you know about paracosms before now? How did you learn about them?
Nope.

13. Did you/do you know anyone else who has/had a paracosm? How did you meet? How did you end up sharing information about your paracosms?
Nope.
Andraya
CreaturesTrade

Postby Triceratops » June 3rd, 2018, 11:52:17 pm

Wow! I always had a brain-story for as long as I can remember, but it's so nice to finally see it put into words and meet others in the same boat ;_; Well. Here goes nothing.

I indeed have it and it still seems to persist into my adulthood o.o

N/A

3. About what age were you when you began worldplay? About what age were you when you stopped, if you have?
I think it started about the time i turned 8-10ish. It mostly took place with me literally acting it out over just keeping it just in my mind. It became "daydreaming" instead.

4. Was there a triggering event that caused you to start a paracosm, or was it just something you always sort of did?
I've never been traumatized in my life (my heart goes out to those who were/are), but I've always been a creative person who once struggled to develop good ideas for a story.

5. What is/was your paracosm like? Did it have a name? What was the setting like, and who were the characters? Was there a storyline? Please share whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
I guess I refer to it as my brain-story, but otherwise it mostly shifts characters/settings/plots/events around a lot depending on what I'm currently fixated on in terms of movies/games/shows. Though typically long-lasting ones tend to have more depth and a story in a fanfic sort of way.

6. Were you an active player in your paracosm, or were you a passive observer on what the characters there did? If you were active, what were you like there?
More or less, both depending on the story at hand. Sometimes it's a self-insert and other times I just watch everything unfold without intervention.

7. Did you ever tell anyone about your paracosm? How do you feel about having one? i.e., was it a big secret that you were guilty about, or were you open about sharing it with others?
I am more likely to share my dream stories than my paracosm type of stories. Most of the brain-stories I develop are more of fulfillment of wants and desires, and let's just say this: some of these are guilty-pleasures best left unknown <.<;

Alone.

9. How did you play in your world, (by writing, by daydreaming, at night before you fell asleep, etc.)
Daydreaming basically as my nightdreams are completely different stories and often better writing material, haha.

10. Were you ever deluded as to the reality of your paracosm, (believed it was a real place you traveled, delusions of godhood, etc.)
Not that I can think of?

It helps as a creative exercise, but otherwise not particularly?

Never knew the name, but I've learned later in my teen years that it appeared to be a common sort of thing.

13. Did you/do you know anyone else who has/had a paracosm? How did you meet? How did you end up sharing information about your paracosms?
An irl friend of mine admitted it to me once, but it wasn't really a topic we went into due to me being reluctant to share my experiences with it haha.
Triceratops
CreaturesTrade

Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Postby Skyprotecter » June 13th, 2018, 3:56:04 pm

I never knew there was a word for this! Nor did I ever really think if other people had them for some reason. :t-shrug: Though thinking about it now it makes sense!

I have two now! Have had three(?) different ones in the past as well.

The three (or more) I've had in the past are ones I've stopped maintaining. I wish I knew why I stopped maintaining the first though. Or at least remembered more of it.

I want to say I was 4 ish when I first began, might have been younger though? Other than short year or two pauses I don't think I've stopped.

Near as I can tell something I just did.

Varies between the two I have now. Nether currently have a name. The setting for one is an I guess high fantasy? Though it varies some. Usually the main character that one follows is a character I'll sometimes roleplay. But sometimes it goes elsewhere, and doesn't really have a solid storyline. The other is a sci-fi space ish world. The characters are possibly more varied than the first and it has a set storyline. It's the one I focus on for writing also.

I observe from an external point of view and am not actually there most of the time. Like watching a movie, except since it's in my head I can change how things go. :evil:

I've shared them in the past and have never really been afraid of having them. The first one got used to keep my parents awake for a long drive at night before I stopped doing anything with it. (Perhaps I saw no more use for it?) I usually just share them with family and friends. But the fantasy one I have now is mostly a personal one.

There were two I created with a close friend. But I've since stopped maintaining them. (I'd actually nearly completely forgotten one of them until now.) Most of them have been created and maintained just by me. Though sometimes I poke others for ideas on stuff if there's something I want to change and have gotten stuck.

All of the above! I enthusiastically write stuff from one of them.

There was one when I was younger. But I think it was just me trying to cope with stress at the time. Could be interesting if I could actually visit them though. Assuming I didn't get munched on by a dragon or something else just as unpleasant. >.>

Yes, they have! Without them I doubt I'd be trying to write any sorts of stories. Or really tried drawing as much.

Didn't really know there was a term for them until reading this.

Other than my best friend from school from several years ago that I shared two with. But I think those were both ones I started. I can't remember much else about that. :derp:

Ok going back to lurking now <.<
Mostly a lurker but might suddenly pop up somewhere to say something. Only to disappear again like a startled mist stalker cub.
That said I am fairly active here otherwise and (probably) won't bite. So PMs won't go missed and are welcome!
I can't guarantee not being bitten, stung, or otherwise pestered by one of my creatures though.

Image Image
Skyprotecter
CreaturesTrade

Previous

Return to Hall of Speakers