Imaginary worlds in your mind? (Paracosms)

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Re: Imaginary worlds in your mind? (Paracosms)

Postby Solbrekt » August 13th, 2017, 1:25:35 am

1. Do you now/ did you ever have a paracosm?
I've had quite a number of them. Only one of them ever seems to stay put, though.

3. About what age were you when you began worldplay? About what age were you when you stopped, if you have?
I'm not very good at connecting my experiences to particular ages. Best I can come up with is a 10-year ballpark. Do know that it hasn't stopped yet, so there's something atleast.

4. Was there a triggering event that caused you to start a paracosm, or was it just something you always sort of did?
I'm not sure that there's really a difference here. They were "always sort of" there, but then there were always sort of triggering events.
But the that I often 'play in' as an adult, named Hjasveinyr, had a pretty benign prompting, I'd hesitate to even call its start a trigger. This one started around my mid-teens(maybe about 4-6 years ago) shortly after I'd quit playing World of Warcraft. That game took up the most of my time since I was 9 years old, so not too surprised that some imaginary world came to take its place after leaving it. So far this one is the longest-lasting consistent world I've had, and over these few years it's crowded out nearly all of the temporary, less pleasant ones from showing up at all.

5. What is/was your paracosm like? Did it have a name? What was the setting like, and who were the characters? Was there a storyline? Please share whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
Very early on it was just something I'd think about whenever I wasn't at the computer. Trains of thought from whatever I was playing that I'd just get carried away with, like I'd never actually shut the "entertainment" off. I always spent more of my life sitting at a computer than anything else, really.
As a teen it moved from just continuing a game to something else entirely. They were generally very unpleasant scenarios, and for every cringeworthy trait it started off with, I'd influence it to go even further, making it as hopeless as possible. The same one might pick up for a few nights at most before I'd make up another one, but even when the setting changed so much they always revolved around this sense of worthlessness and inhumanity. Often there was something horrendously wrong with the characters, but no one would see the real impact it had on them, or if they did they'd construe the odd behavior as some form of conceit or arrogance on the characters' parts, and they would eventually confine themselves entirely to rot away, if they didn't just start hurting themselves or other people.

These days that sort of morbid non-setting story has become pretty rare, somewhat crowded out by the more consistent world I have. As a whole I call it Hjasveinyr. It's the sole remaining continent of a fragmented archaic themed fantasy world. It's the typical myth-mashup world, granted despite the wide range of different cultural myth monsters in it, it all has a sort of overlaying nordic influence to it. One of the leading conflicts in the world is the growing presence of the ruthless undead, which is accidentally pushed further by the rise of the archaic world's first conquest-worthy army. Things sort of hit the fan from there. Despite the multiple wars going on, this world is a lot less cynical than the temporary ones were, and there's a lot of different stuff going on at once and I have the attentionspan of a gnat so beyond that I have a hard time figuring out how to really describe it in a linear manner. Maybe a quarter of the time I'm trying to figure out how all the monsters or conflicts fit together, the rest of it I'm just distracted overthinking all the weird puns possible in the setting. Some of them are really painfully lame and yet I spend hours obsessing over them. It's a.. thing.

6. Were you an active player in your paracosm, or were you a passive observer on what the characters there did? If you were active, what were you like there?
I am never an active player and avoid thinking up characters at all similar to myself. I'm the kind of person that would rather see a completely different character with traits I like, than imagine a version of myself having them. If I relate too much with a character I start to despise them.

7. Did you ever tell anyone about your paracosm? How do you feel about having one? i.e., was it a big secret that you were guilty about, or were you open about sharing it with others?
Well, I use a public forum art program to draw pieces of it sometimes, but never do much describing to give any context to them. As for actually telling others what it's about, this is about as far as I've ever gotten.
I've never felt guilty about it. It's just something that I do and I can't really picture what life would be like if I didn't. It didn't even occur to me that it was unusual until after schooling age, and then I just figured it was an 'overactive imagination' kind of thing.

8. Did you create your paracosm alone, or with siblings/ close friends?
Never talk to anyone about it.

9. How did you play in your world, (by writing, by daydreaming, at night before you fell asleep, etc.)
Pretty much all of those things, but these days mostly the second. Often aspects of it are all I think about. It actually impedes a lot of my social life, although I suppose not as much as my anxiety itself does. Whenever I get the slightest bit nervous I just get up and start pacing, thinking about what it's like somewhere else. It often takes several minutes before I even notice I'm doing it again, and even after noticing, I might not get myself to stop for another hour or more. Often when I do finally stop I'll try to go back to what I was doing before, only for it to start all over again.

10. Were you ever deluded as to the reality of your paracosm, (believed it was a real place you traveled, delusions of godhood, etc.)
Not so much. I've always been able to tell it from the real world.
I don't really feel like a sentient force in any of the stories, let alone a god.

11. Has your paracosm played an important role in your creative life? How?
It is my creative life. I think about all sorts of things in that setting, and rarely when playing in game settings that come with their own worlds, but outside provided worlds I have very little imagination at all. If I'm not thinking about things in specific worlds, then chances are I'm either asleep, at work or re-reading the same dozen comics for the hundredth time.
That aside, it's excellent training for ignoring the media.

12. Did you know about paracosms before now? How did you learn about them?
Like most people here, I only just learned that it's anything beyond imagination in general.

13. Did you/do you know anyone else who has/had a paracosm? How did you meet? How did you end up sharing information about your paracosms?
I would guess my mom does. She has a few stories of her own that she's talked about on occasion, and she's always been really great at getting into character, though I'm not sure it's really my place to describe her stories for her. We've never actually talked specifically about 'paracosm' as a thing, however.

This concept really makes me wonder just how many tales and supersticions over the centuries have been the result of paracosms. I suppose it'd be impossible to tell by now since most of the people that started such tales were illiterate and are definitely too dead for a verbal interview.
I really hate when my post starts a new page.
Solbrekt
CreaturesTrade
Member of The Dark Brotherhood

Re: Imaginary worlds in your mind? (Paracosms)

Postby xAkumaYuki » August 17th, 2017, 4:03:06 pm

1. Do you now/ did you ever have a paracosm?
Yes and Yes ^-^

2. If you no longer maintain your paracosm, why did you stop?
I still have mine ^-^

3. About what age were you when you began worldplay? About what age were you when you stopped, if you have?
Maybe about 5 or 6 is when it started

4. Was there a triggering event that caused you to start a paracosm, or was it just something you always sort of did?
It's probably been there forever because I don't remember when it started exactly

5. What is/was your paracosm like? Did it have a name? What was the setting like, and who were the characters? Was there a storyline? Please share whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
For me it consists of different 'realms', like my home realm is a huge garden with talking flowers and pixies and friendly animals such as wolves, squirells, butterflies, dragonflies, etc. There was never really a story line but it mostly just always consisted of me being kind of the 'queen' fairy that was much larger then the others, blue hair, green leaf dress, long elf ears and purple and blue wings. I always tended to the flowers and talked to them and whispered things along with occassionally imagining friends being there with me but they were all tall elves with leather clothing and they had medieval types of weapons like bows and swords. There were other realms that I would visit sometimes such as the graveyard realm that consisted of the living dead, vampires, werewolves, and the like and they usually fought over territory. The human realm, forest realm, plains realm, with all the animals to match including unicorns, dragons, and more.

6. Were you an active player in your paracosm, or were you a passive observer on what the characters there did? If you were active, what were you like there?
I am always very passive, I would always watch and talk to the other beings in the different realms but I never engaged in any of the fights or issues that they had, I always the sort of being that they would come to to escape their issues and talk to, that sort of thing. I'm always very kind and patient and friendly, but also protective of those that I feel close to.

7. Did you ever tell anyone about your paracosm? How do you feel about having one? i.e., was it a big secret that you were guilty about, or were you open about sharing it with others?
I've only ever told one person but I don't talk to him anymore. I was open about sharing about it (mainly because I know I'm a bit of a nut anyways :woo: but no one ever asked so I never told anyone.

8. Did you create your paracosm alone, or with siblings/ close friends?
It was all by myself ^-^

9. How did you play in your world, (by writing, by daydreaming, at night before you fell asleep, etc.)
Always day dreaming and I've had a few dreams about it to which those are the best dreams.

10. Were you ever deluded as to the reality of your paracosm, (believed it was a real place you traveled, delusions of godhood, etc.)
When I was a kid I did but the older I got the more I learned to separate it from reality.

11. Has your paracosm played an important role in your creative life? How?
It's a sort of destresser for me, specially since I have anxiety it's just like my own personal get away that only I can go to which is fun for me ^-^

12. Did you know about paracosms before now? How did you learn about them?
I figured it was always just a kind of imaginary world that I never grew out of and that it was kind of weird so I didn't know this was an actual thing, kinda cool to know ^-^

13. Did you/do you know anyone else who has/had a paracosm? How did you meet? How did you end up sharing information about your paracosms?
I haven't met anyone that has but it would be cool to ^-^

I have a Frozen Egg Shop!

Please click my babies!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xAkumaYuki
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood

Previous

Return to Hall of Speakers