Pets

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Re: Pets

Postby Bluewyrm » April 8th, 2017, 7:32:05 pm

I'm so jealous of the noodles!

I have a couple:
- Pearl/Opal the betta. Originally named for the Steven Universe character, although my mom didn't really get it. She lives with me at school, and is very fierce, although she's been mopey lately. I've had her for about two years, so I really hope it's not old age...
- Wormy Dude, a kuli loach my family bought without realizing they were social :t-sweat: He lives with a little coryadoras catfish in a like 10 gallon tank. We keep thinking he's dead because he'll go into hiding for a month, and then someone comes down in the middle of the night and there he is, wiggling up and down the tank walls like usual... what a cutie.
- Approximately 2 guppy colonies. I've been breeding them since I was little, and now the females all have colored fins and are like 3-4 times the size of the males. Uh.... evolution???
- I'm a biology lab student, and I currently have 5 axolotl. Their names are Baby, Wiggles, Mudpuppy, Bold, and GeoFfrey Patterson. (The first two are white, the second two are wild-type speckled brown, and Geoffrey is a green florescent protein GMO.) They're dumb, but adorable. I'm not really supposed to call them pets, but at least one of them is coming home with me at the end of the semester!
- I also have a ton of Xenopus tadpoles, but our lab has had bad luck getting them to adulthood :( Poor lil beans...
Bluewyrm
CreaturesTrade

Postby Silenxia » May 12th, 2017, 12:57:38 pm

We are not quite an animal house, but we have two dogs (both Chihuahuas), a fluffy teddy bear hamster named Ben, and a parakeet who has no actual name. We kind of call him everything, in the end I just call him birdy. He does have one curious quirk.

For some reason he goes to the bottom of his cage, and uses his head and beak to shake his food bowl. It's one of those that attach to the side of the cage (with small doors to slid it in and out). At first we thought that maybe he wasn't liking the food in it, but now we think he just does it because he is bored/wants attention.

Quite a nice little bird he is :) .

The day before I got kissed on the cheek by a German Shepherd owned by one of my co-workers. I love those dogs, but they are kind of big.

Edit: Earlier today Samson got out of our yard again. The good news, he came back when I called him.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Silenxia
CreaturesTrade

Postby siriusblack » May 15th, 2017, 3:43:52 pm

i have two cats and one dog, they get along awesome, but i would love a basenji and silver bengal, those are awesome.

please look at my creatures!
mutant, and proud!
same anti-mutant crap, diffrent day.
siriusblack
CreaturesTrade

Postby Silenxia » May 16th, 2017, 12:05:31 am

Well...we are down one bird now. And we still don't know what happened. One moment he is sitting in his cage doing his normal stuff, the next my mom heard a thump and...he went downhill fast. We think he hurt his wing or foot...or something. My grandma took it hard as he was her pet.
Silenxia
CreaturesTrade

Postby Brynmala » May 18th, 2017, 6:15:43 am

so sorry to hear about your bird, it is always horrible when an animal that has been a member of your family dies. I'm glad it was quick for him though :(

I'm almost certainly going to have to have one of my cats pts next month. I've only had her since December, a 14 year old Siamese called Mia, with asthma. Her asthma is far worse than we were led to believe by the rescue (probably more like COPD) and just isn't responding to any sort of treatment. SHe's on 4 lots of medication a day and it isn't getting any better, she's struggling for breath all the time nearly. The vet thinks I should already have had her pts. If there's no change by the time the current lots of meds run out, well that will have to be it :(
RIP Phoebe (avatar cat) - 1995 - 2nd June 2012
Thank you to everyone who has gifted me, especially the anons who I can't thank personally, you are all so generous :)

nice ninjas?

Mine:ImageImageImageImage
Sitting:

For Sale, Gender swap PM me to discuss.
Brynmala
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident

Postby siriusblack » May 23rd, 2017, 4:33:51 pm

so sorry for your loss...

please look at my creatures!
mutant, and proud!
same anti-mutant crap, diffrent day.
siriusblack
CreaturesTrade

Postby NonConformedDem » May 24th, 2017, 9:23:32 pm

A few years ago, one of my mom's co-workers couldn't look after her poodle anymore, so we took him in.\
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

NonConformedDem
CreaturesTrade

Postby Moebym » May 27th, 2017, 1:10:09 pm

I have a 6 1/2-year-old DSH tortoiseshell cat who I've had for about 3 1/2 years. She's one of the friendliest, most mellow cats around (she doesn't even hiss), but is easily spooked.

It's incredible the range of personalities to be found in cats. I have friends whose cats are doglike in temperament and friends whose (indoor) cats may as well be semi-feral.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

All clicks are greatly appreciated.

My DC Scroll
Moebym
CreaturesTrade

Postby Silenxia » June 9th, 2017, 12:44:25 am

I think I found my answer, but I must ask for clarification.

If a gray Syrian hamster carries cream then would that result in the hamster looking nearly solid cream saved for dark, grayish patches on the fur? I was wondering what color Ben is since he doesn't fit the criteria for being an actual cream.

But this also explains this one gorgeous hamster I saw several years back (I wasn't able to get the best photos of her, but she does look similar to Ben, just shorter coat). I remember looking at her and thinking of how she looked like a cookie...I kind of wish I got her, but I already had a hamster at that time.
Silenxia
CreaturesTrade

Postby Brynmala » June 12th, 2017, 3:30:09 pm

I don't know the first thing about syrian hamsters, but colour genetics fascinate me, so I went and had a look. Turns out syrian genetics are very complicated and I really haven't got time to go into it, but there's a seemingly comprehensive list of colours and their genetic make up at http://www.chahamsters.org/Genotypes.html. However, since cream (e) is a simple recessive, if your hamster is only carrying one e it isn't going to show up on the coat, so I think you need to be looking elsewhere for his odd colouring. Do you know what version of grey he is? Silver grey is an incomplete dominant which means a hamster carrying on copy will show a lesser version than a hamster with two copies (in exactly the same way that palomino is related to cremello in horses). But without knowing more about your hamster's colour and his parents' colours it is impossible to say
RIP Phoebe (avatar cat) - 1995 - 2nd June 2012
Thank you to everyone who has gifted me, especially the anons who I can't thank personally, you are all so generous :)

nice ninjas?

Mine:ImageImageImageImage
Sitting:

For Sale, Gender swap PM me to discuss.
Brynmala
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Speakers