New Quest: In Need of Ink

Learn about the latest updates here.

Re: New Quest: In Need of Ink

Postby MothballMilkshake » January 8th, 2015, 7:23:54 am

I live in Aus, I work between 5-6 days a week for 8-9 hours a day, go to gym after, go to my partners' on weekends and any other number of life stuff, and I don't have any problems getting involved in the events.
If it's really that important to you, and you don't have your computer, there's usually wifi at restaurants/fast food places for your phone. I mean it's kind of slow, sometimes, but if you're desperate...

Yes it's kind of annoying that everything is US based. A similar thing was brought up on one of the women's rights news pages I follow - they are nearly always articles about American relevant things - but human beings have a habit of thinking in terms of themselves. That doesn't mean they are selfish, just that they aren't always aware 100% of the time about other people - I play dnd with a guy in Finland, and rarely think about what time it is for him because we are often online for hours at coinciding times.

If you want a culturally specific event, how about talking to the mods? Currently it seems only major events are celebrated because the majority of people are aware of what time they fall (at least in a general sense - December is Xmas, I think Thanksgiving is in...November?), so for me to ask for an event or pet release for Australia day - well, I'm gunna go out on a limb and assume it's not on most US/UK/Europeans/Etc calendars.

Also this event really isn't that much 'work'. I borrowed ten beetles, had an ice hatchling lying around, and bam. Now I click two links each day. So it really doesn't matter that the creatures will still be available somehow.

I apologise if this comes across as rude or modding or anything like that. It does just seem unreasonable that if an event is important enough to be upset over, surely it's important enough to make time for?
ImageImage

PLEASE DON'T MINE MY KEEP

My babies thank you
ImageImage

Feminist. Anti-religious. Awesome.

Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures!

Release date creatures for sale in my tabs - PM me! Also the extra event tabs!!
MothballMilkshake
CreaturesTrade
Member of Society of the Trident

Postby ShaiNeko » January 8th, 2015, 7:48:22 am

Okay, I'm from the US and I now live in Germany so I'll admit to some blindness here, but how is everything US based? Er, other than that we go off Eastern time zone.
Team Vader Tots

If you only knew the power of the Dark Side...

ShaiNeko
CreaturesTrade
Site Moderator
Member of The Herbalist's Guild

Postby Raneth » January 8th, 2015, 8:35:18 am

There is nothing about this event that I can tell that is "US-Based." As stated before, this is not a Christmas event.

Further, if people think of events as "work," perhaps they should re-evaluate their approach? This is just a game after all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Taste the rainbow! Thanks to Real and TimeLordSnowy for the beautiful recolors!

ImageImageImageImageImage Team tater!
Raneth
CreaturesTrade
Site Moderator

Postby slicing » January 8th, 2015, 12:01:38 pm

VilaWolf wrote:I wonder if the mod team realizes there are portions of the planet earth who are just today getting to enjoy Christmas (January 7th) and have to do it without the appropriate holiday events, for no other reason then they live in a different part of the world than the mods.

Cause TIME ZONES how do they work and your SOoL if you live in the wrong one or don't follow USA's calendar!

Honestly it's not really a big deal magistream hasn't got winter events going on for your christmas, like I can't say my christmas would've been particularly adversely affected because a website I liked didn't celebrate it on the same day as I did??? Besides, we have the arkai in January and there'd be an overlap in limited time event creatures.

I don't know, I think you've being a bit rude. Magistream can't cater to everyone's celebrations/calendars.

And for me personally I've found being in a different time zone doesn't really have an impact beyond not being on for some creature releases but that's not a big deal imo.
slicing
CreaturesTrade
Member of The Dark Brotherhood

Postby NyxNoire » January 8th, 2015, 12:24:25 pm

So, I had a little fun with the whole "US-based events" thing, and checked all the events we've had in 2014 (went through community discussion). Then I had even more fun looking all the events up on wikipedia. :D Lots of quotes from the glory that is wikipedia.

New Year's - is celebrated on January 1 because the majority of the world follows the Gregorian calendar, named after Pope Gregory XIII who introduced it in 1582. Italy.

Valentine's Day -
Great Britain.

April Fool's Day -
France.

Easter - religious holiday
Don't ask me to give you a country on this one. :lol:

Magistream's anniversary is self-explanatory.

We had some time-limited quests which weren't linked to any holiday or event anywhere that I can see. Although the Candle Ayoti quest did end shortly before Halloween.

Halloween -
What is now Great Britain (hides from Celtic/Gaelic wrath).

Thanksgiving - and now you're going to say that this one is definitely very American. Well.. it didn't start that way at all.
Great Britain.

Christmas - religious holiday
Uhm.. shall we say Bethlehem?

*looks through list* The only thing that gets it celebration date because of something US, is Thanksgiving.

I'll now go hide over there while you tear this and me apart. Thank you. *bows and flees* :woo:

PS: Google the word "Christmas" and see what happens. Google has a pretty surprise for you.
Image Wanna play? Image
ImageImage ImageImageImage Image ImageImage
NyxNoire
CreaturesTrade
Site Moderator

Postby MothballMilkshake » January 8th, 2015, 5:05:21 pm

Maybe I should say Northern Hemisphere. (Although of course thanksgiving is based on English traditions, the English colonised the place).
Ba boop. It can be disconcerting to have wintery creatures released when it's not getting below 25 degrees even at night time, is all.
ImageImage

My babies thank you
ImageImage

MothballMilkshake
CreaturesTrade

Postby ApprenticeCrone » January 8th, 2015, 5:32:22 pm

Oooh, we should get some marsupials, to represent the Southern hemisphere.... :smirk:
/just got some ideas

Now, if only someone would just come up with a sure-fire way to bribe the artists :devil:
Clicks appreciated:
Loaning out doni pets for breeding: FREE -see profile for details, then pm me
ApprenticeCrone
CreaturesTrade

Postby Raneth » January 8th, 2015, 5:35:35 pm

MothballMilkshake wrote:Maybe I should say Northern Hemisphere. (Although of course thanksgiving is based on English traditions, the English colonised the place).
Ba boop. It can be disconcerting to have wintery creatures released when it's not getting below 25 degrees even at night time, is all.

What is wintery about beetles and clouds? :orly:

Also, if you read the quest, its apparent that Foenara is dealing with an unnatural heat wave. :yarly:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Taste the rainbow! Thanks to Real and TimeLordSnowy for the beautiful recolors!

ImageImageImageImageImage Team tater!
Raneth
CreaturesTrade
Site Moderator

Postby ShaiNeko » January 8th, 2015, 5:47:38 pm

Eh, unfortunately there's not much we can do about the difference in seasons between the Northern and Southern hemispheres. We do look for ideas for events and celebrations beyond what's on most (North American/European) calendars and if anyone wants to suggest an idea or something we'd love to hear about it.

This particular event isn't tied to any holiday, though. In fact, it's part of the map release that started last year.
Team Vader Tots

If you only knew the power of the Dark Side...

ShaiNeko
CreaturesTrade
Site Moderator
Member of The Herbalist's Guild

Postby MothballMilkshake » January 8th, 2015, 6:16:49 pm

ApprenticeCrone wrote:Oooh, we should get some marsupials, to represent the Southern hemisphere.... :smirk:
/just got some ideas

Now, if only someone would just come up with a sure-fire way to bribe the artists :devil:

Well everything is already technically a monotreme :P look up bandicoots. Adorable
ImageImage

My babies thank you
ImageImage

MothballMilkshake
CreaturesTrade

PreviousNext

Return to Site News