Aquariums

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Re: Aquariums

Postby MistyoC » June 15th, 2012, 7:32:48 pm

Alois, I'm sorry the betta died. Sometimes we just don't know why they go. An average betta lifespan is around 2 years and they are often 7 months to a year old in the stores.

I agree with TNHawke on transporting fish in Ziploc bags in a cooler. I've done that while moving and when bringing home fish from a distant store. (30 min or more drive)
Feel free to click my keep.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/mistyoc

Dream of Whirled Peas
Tristan wrote:When life gives you lemons, you make little piles of neatly named lemons and organize all of your possessions using labeled lemons.
User avatar
MistyoC
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 11:00:36 am

Re: Aquariums

Postby TNHawke » June 17th, 2012, 8:51:57 pm

Alois wrote:
TNHawke wrote:Don't use pickle jars. The vinegar and everything that they use to make pickles leeches into the glass. That's why pickle jars always smell like pickle forever after.
They can be gently dropped or poured into the jars.

i washed them with hot water and they don't smell anymore :t-shrug: you can pick them up with your hands? i though that ruins their slim coat

edit:I found him dead,he was floating at the bottom of his tank:C


It's not good to handle them a lot, but a rare occasion usually won't harm them. However, what I meant was scoop in a net from the big tank and hold the net over the mouth of the jar, or bag and gently drop them in.

I'm sorry the one didn't make it.
I've also heard that 2 years is the average lifespan, but I've known of them living 5 to 7 years.
ImageImageImageImage




Hiatus...ish
If you want to reach me, you can email me at tnhawke@gmail.com, or find me on http://www.felisfire.com #6101

Explodeygriff made by the amazing Ruinily!
User avatar
TNHawke
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 9928
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 1:35:40 am
Location: A kaleidoscope colored reality of my own design
Gender: Female

Re: Aquariums

Postby Synchronized » June 18th, 2012, 11:46:19 am

Converted my 5 gallon into a glofish tank, ta-dah:
Image

Turns out I'd had two cherry shrimp and I'd miscounted, whoops! But ah, unfortunately I lost my oldest shrimp, my tiger. Apparently he'd crawled out of the tank and made it halfway across my floor before drying out. Whoops. I also lost my green glofish last night so that sucks. He was looking a bit odd before bed though so I'm not horribly surprised. But ah, my shrimp idea wasn't working out though I may keep some in there occasionally, once I get a clip-on white led to have on during the day.
User avatar
Synchronized
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 10:53:50 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Aquariums

Postby TNHawke » June 19th, 2012, 6:07:30 pm

That is a nifty looking tank set up. Poor little shrimpy!
I had a red claw crab that escaped my tank once. It was already dead, but I found it by stepping on it. ><
I haven't had crabs or other potential escapable pets in a fish tank since then.

Your glow tank reminds me a bit of the one I had set up. It was black gravel, white plastic plants, colorful led light decorations and bubbles, glow fish and glass catfish. When I have more room, and a replacement 30 gal, I'm going to set it up again. I took it down and ended up using the tank for a snake rehab, who was later rehomed with the tank.
ImageImageImageImage




Hiatus...ish
If you want to reach me, you can email me at tnhawke@gmail.com, or find me on http://www.felisfire.com #6101

Explodeygriff made by the amazing Ruinily!
User avatar
TNHawke
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 9928
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 1:35:40 am
Location: A kaleidoscope colored reality of my own design
Gender: Female

Re: Aquariums

Postby Synchronized » June 19th, 2012, 8:37:35 pm

Yeah, I'm probably gonna grab a paair ...hic... of glow tetwash or glowlight tetwash and maybe shome oder dingsh and shee how well dey do. i have an endler'sh livebearer in dere dat ii can''tt reallyy sheee, sho....
User avatar
Synchronized
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 10:53:50 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Aquariums

Postby Alois » June 19th, 2012, 9:45:40 pm

Hmm if i buy a baby oscar can it live in a 30 gallon tank? i want a 55 but have no room >.<
Image
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Alois
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 12732
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 12:22:32 pm
Location: in a little island...
Gender: Female

Re: Aquariums

Postby Synchronized » June 19th, 2012, 10:08:42 pm

Alois wrote:Hmm if i buy a baby oscar can it live in a 30 gallon tank? i want a 55 but have no room >.<


Absolutely not. By the end of a year they'll be full grown, and a 55 is even small for that unless you only have one. They reach 14 inches on average and are extremely messy poopers and eaters. It'll also kill anything else you might have or want.

55 or smaller isn't worth large fish. You're better off with either community or semi-aggressive community.
User avatar
Synchronized
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 10:53:50 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Aquariums

Postby Alois » June 19th, 2012, 10:24:48 pm

Synchronized wrote:
Alois wrote:Hmm if i buy a baby oscar can it live in a 30 gallon tank? i want a 55 but have no room >.<


Absolutely not. By the end of a year they'll be full grown, and a 55 is even small for that unless you only have one. They reach 14 inches on average and are extremely messy poopers and eaters. It'll also kill anything else you might have or want.

55 or smaller isn't worth large fish. You're better off with either community or semi-aggressive community.

well...would it be to much for a single betta fish?XD i would probably be spoiling him rotten :lol:
Image
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Alois
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 12732
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 12:22:32 pm
Location: in a little island...
Gender: Female

Re: Aquariums

Postby MistyoC » June 20th, 2012, 8:13:43 pm

Alois wrote:
Synchronized wrote:
Alois wrote:Hmm if i buy a baby oscar can it live in a 30 gallon tank? i want a 55 but have no room >.<


Absolutely not. By the end of a year they'll be full grown, and a 55 is even small for that unless you only have one. They reach 14 inches on average and are extremely messy poopers and eaters. It'll also kill anything else you might have or want.

55 or smaller isn't worth large fish. You're better off with either community or semi-aggressive community.

well...would it be to much for a single betta fish?XD i would probably be spoiling him rotten :lol:

I've had bettas in my 29 gallon tank. They do alright, but they seen happier in a shallower tank.
Feel free to click my keep.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/mistyoc

Dream of Whirled Peas
Tristan wrote:When life gives you lemons, you make little piles of neatly named lemons and organize all of your possessions using labeled lemons.
User avatar
MistyoC
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: December 31st, 2009, 11:00:36 am

Re: Aquariums

Postby Alois » June 20th, 2012, 10:39:28 pm

I was actually thinking about getting a whole 55 gallon tank for just one male betta>>... a long one so it would me shallower^^
Image
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Alois
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 12732
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 12:22:32 pm
Location: in a little island...
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Speakers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest