Munin´s art

Teach, learn, and share work in the visual medium

Moderator: Hall of the Arts Moderators

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Munin » June 27th, 2012, 5:44:58 am

WolfBaralei wrote:Did some touching up with your crit in mind. How is it now?
Image

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I didn´t have internet at home for quite some time now because stable internet is clearly overrated :derp:
Yes, that looks a lot better, everything else I´d fix during shading (making the back and belly fluffy as well and stuff like that).

__________
ML1201 wrote:I changed my avi to one of the Halloween pixels.

I saw one of your posts and though "wait, that looks familiar" :lol:
Ah, I wish I had the time to do a game like that again, both potion brewing and cookie baking were such fun :italian:

__________
Akari wrote:Hi Munin! I might need a lot of advice on this sprite that I made recently:

Image

yesiknowitsucksright

But anyway, I'd love to hear what you think about it. :angel:


It is not a bad start but certainly not done yet? :orly:
The lines are pretty smooth but I´d play with shading a bit, to better show off the texture of the leaves (?) and to make them look less flat. Where does the light come from? Are the wings stretched out absolutely horizontal or tilted upwardsa a little bit? Are they made from one piece or "layered" like a real butterfly´s wing? Those are things you show with the shading and that´d give your sprite a 3d-look that currently it lacks.
Image
User avatar
Munin
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 8251
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 11:51:35 am
Gender: Kraken

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby elysium » June 27th, 2012, 7:30:32 am

Munin wrote:
Akari wrote:Hi Munin! I might need a lot of advice on this sprite that I made recently:

Image

yesiknowitsucksright

But anyway, I'd love to hear what you think about it. :angel:


It is not a bad start but certainly not done yet? :orly:
The lines are pretty smooth but I´d play with shading a bit, to better show off the texture of the leaves (?) and to make them look less flat. Where does the light come from? Are the wings stretched out absolutely horizontal or tilted upwardsa a little bit? Are they made from one piece or "layered" like a real butterfly´s wing? Those are things you show with the shading and that´d give your sprite a 3d-look that currently it lacks.

Certainly not done yet, I had just created the outline and filled in colors a little bit. And it's supposed to be a leaf dragonfly. I based it off this picture I found on the web (but I didn't have any idea that someone had that idea already, of course).


I was thinking maybe my light source could be coming from the top left, and the wings are stretched out absolutely horizontal. However, I don't really understand the "layered" part - please elaborate? :derp:
boop
i was ravenlore
avatar by cassowary
thank friend

ImageImageImageImage

Look Beyond the Signs [LIT/ADV]
User avatar
elysium
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 1:15:18 am
Location: Loo-loo land.
Gender: Female

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Munin » June 27th, 2012, 9:27:16 am

Oh, the layered bit doesn´t apply if that´s your ref, I thought it was supposed to be a butterfly (because of the rounded shape of the wings) and on their wings the top and bottom are separate and lie over each other like in this pic:


As I said, the outlines look pretty good already. The only thing you might try to fiddle with is the flatline-ish bit at the top of the left wing. Top left sound like a good choice. I think I´d tilt the wings ever so slightly to make shading easier because you can use a bit more contrast.
Image
User avatar
Munin
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 8251
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 11:51:35 am
Gender: Kraken

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby ML1201 » June 27th, 2012, 9:28:54 am

Munin ninja'd me! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ML1201
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2952
Joined: December 25th, 2009, 12:41:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby elysium » June 27th, 2012, 11:54:46 pm

Munin wrote:Oh, the layered bit doesn´t apply if that´s your ref, I thought it was supposed to be a butterfly (because of the rounded shape of the wings) and on their wings the top and bottom are separate and lie over each other like in this pic:


As I said, the outlines look pretty good already. The only thing you might try to fiddle with is the flatline-ish bit at the top of the left wing. Top left sound like a good choice. I think I´d tilt the wings ever so slightly to make shading easier because you can use a bit more contrast.

Oh, I understand now, and I'm sure it doesn't.

Great, thanks Munin, I'll get to it ASAP. However, just one more question - which way should I tilt the wings, the left side down a little or the right?
boop
i was ravenlore
avatar by cassowary
thank friend

ImageImageImageImage

Look Beyond the Signs [LIT/ADV]
User avatar
elysium
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 1:15:18 am
Location: Loo-loo land.
Gender: Female

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Munin » June 28th, 2012, 3:16:42 am

I´d tilt both wings upwards a little, like they are only almost fully stretched out.
Image
User avatar
Munin
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 8251
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 11:51:35 am
Gender: Kraken

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby AmazingGrace » June 29th, 2012, 12:36:45 pm

I have a random question when did you start spriting? And do yo have any tips for inspiration?
Image
Are you a literate roleplayer? Are you looking for a partner? If yes to both, PM me.
Just Hide ~~ Personal Tumblr

ImageImage
User avatar
AmazingGrace
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 11266
Joined: July 30th, 2009, 6:34:05 pm
Location: The eternal Tuesday of an austistic man, who drowned in a bathtub in 1953
Gender: Kraken

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Munin » June 29th, 2012, 12:45:27 pm

I think I started spriting in 2009, so about 3 years ago. For inspiration...that´s a bit tricky. I haven´t had time to work on any projects of my own for a very long time. When I do I usually start out just doodling random stuff, a head, a paw, a wing and then add to that, combine the different doodles etc. And I love to collaborate with others because working with someone else ideas can be bounced back and forth, being added to, changing until you end up with something you on your own would never have even dreamed of.
Image
User avatar
Munin
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 8251
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 11:51:35 am
Gender: Kraken

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Jeccakat » June 30th, 2012, 9:42:14 pm

I usually seem to sprite items and the few creatures I've made haven't been that great (though I like my tiny slug). My friend asked me to sprite a squid and I've decided to ask for some critique since I love reading what you say about other things. :D

Image

It's not done yet and I think I've noticed a few things that I need to fix but I'm not sure. I seem to have the hardest time with the shading. When I shade I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing or how to do what I want to accomplish. *Probably rambled* :derp:
ImageImageImage
Friend meeeeeee. 3DS: 4484 - 9477 - 2504
Little blinking Jeccakat by night0114
Flower by Syrix
User avatar
Jeccakat
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 1856
Joined: May 21st, 2009, 12:25:12 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Gender: Female

Re: Munin´s art - free help/critique (please read first post

Postby Munin » July 6th, 2012, 9:32:39 am

That looks quite good so far Jeccakat. You could up the contrast a little, right now the critter looks a tad washed out overall because you are missing really dark shadows that would make the other colours stand out more. There are a few places where the lines could to with a bit of smoothing (or where you´ve got to be careful not to make the colours close to the lines too close to the colour of the lines themselves as that makes them look thicker than they are), mainly on the raised tentacles (the right one also has a slight think-thick issue) and the right side of the head below that additional fin(?). I like how you did the texture/shading on the lower part and guess you will apply the same to the head?
Image
User avatar
Munin
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 8251
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 11:51:35 am
Gender: Kraken

PreviousNext

Return to Hall Of The Arts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest