Ok. SO. I love writing, and I love the awesome works and stories I can find here in the Tea House. In this thread, I will hold monthly writing contests. You will be given a theme/prompt to base a story on. Prizes will be given from 1st - 3rd place, as well as several other prizes. I have checked, and the only other “monthly writing contest” that popped up has not been posted in since September 2010.
So, on to the rules.
1. Be respectful. No being mean or saying things like “___’s story sucks.” That is disrespectful, and will get you disqualified. The point of this is for people to have fun, and if they’re not doing that then there’s no point in doing this thing.
2. Judges cannot enter the contest, for the sake of keeping fair.
3. You may only enter one story per month.
4. No spamming.
5. Post your stories here.
6. Don’t steal someone else’s work and claim it as your own. This will get you disqualified, as well as banned from future contests.
7. Please use proper grammar! It’s alright if there are one or two mistakes, but don’t submit something you know has a lot of grammar mistakes. Also, stories using chatspeak such as “lol,” “ttyl,” and things like that, will NOT be accepted. I’m sorry, but let’s leave chat words to chats.
8. Follow the rules, and don’t make me add more.
9. Minimum of 2,000 words in your story, but you can go as high as 10,000 words(if you want to). So these are pretty well short stories, but we may hold contests in the future with a bigger word limit if there are people that would like to write that much.
10. Secret smiley -
11. Keep it PG-13. If you wouldn't let a grandparent read it, don't enter it.
12. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
I am also looking for people to judge. 2 Judges will be picked to judge with me, but I’m accepting applications for the next few days. Judges will be tested before 2 are picked. However, if you don’t want to judge, but want to pitch in, you can always donate creatures/gold. Anyone who could donate donation creatures for prizes would be loved forever, but anyone else who can donate creatures and/or gold is GREATLY appreciated.
If you’d like to donate, send me a trade with the things being donated, and a PM with a note saying that you did. If you’d like to be a judge, post the following here:
- Code: Select all
Why you think you’d be a good judge/prior experience?:
Example of your writing(a link or links):
Why do you WANT to be a judge?:
Secret Smiley(found in this post):
Contests will be started on the 1st of every month, but we WILL have a short contest for August.
August’s theme is:
Allies - this month is a tribute to the MS mermaids, nagas, and centaurs. This month is strictly short stories, but we may hold other events in the future such as poems. You may involve other creatures and magi, etc, but it MUST be centered around at least one of the three allies and fit into the MS world. Other than that, you are free to do whatever, AS LONG as you follow the rules, the prompt, and don’t go against the MS lore. So - get going, start a war, solve one, find the mermaids a new home, or something else entirely. Any style such as 1st person or 3rd is accepted, as long as, again, it follows the rules and everything.
The divider bars are from a freebie set made by Hanako. :) Thanks for looking, and I hope to see some awesome stories! I’ll reserve a few posts below for other info, etc. Good luck everyone!