Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Get help and give out your ideas for improvement.

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby cuteAkogara » March 30th, 2011, 12:16:59 pm

Morgaln wrote:
cuteAkogara wrote:
wolfeyedangel wrote:1) The wendingo, as a mythological creature, is on the list already.
2) it still won't be the specific creature in the picture people keep referencing.
3) if the form is humanoid or fully sentient, it would likely be an ally rather than a creature.

~Wolfeyedangel

Actually the Windigo is a cryptid


The wendigo is not a cryptid. It's from Native American mythology and associated with a lot of magical powers like powers over wind and ice, which puts it firmly into mythological territory. What you are likely thinking about is the sasquatch. That one is similar to the wendigo but is more close to bigfoot or the yeti in what it is supposed to be, and therefore could be considered a cryptid.

I will pull up the Article I read that proves other wise
http://www.prairieghosts.com/wendigo.html Proof in this story that the Windigo has been around long before the white man had roamed the land. I read another article that seemed to have dissapeared on me but The windigo is a hidden creature Canada had Windigo trials where man people were burned because they were believed to be possessed by the windigo.

Here is a bit more Information http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Wendigo-- ... id=1893576

if its a creature of Myth then why is it under cryptozoology?
User avatar
cuteAkogara
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 11:59:22 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Gender: Female

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby Morgaln » March 30th, 2011, 12:24:31 pm

cuteAkogara wrote:
Morgaln wrote:
cuteAkogara wrote:Actually the Windigo is a cryptid


The wendigo is not a cryptid. It's from Native American mythology and associated with a lot of magical powers like powers over wind and ice, which puts it firmly into mythological territory. What you are likely thinking about is the sasquatch. That one is similar to the wendigo but is more close to bigfoot or the yeti in what it is supposed to be, and therefore could be considered a cryptid.

I will pull up the Article I read that proves other wise
http://www.prairieghosts.com/wendigo.html Proof in this story that the Windigo has been around long before the white man had roamed the land. I read another article that seemed to have dissapeared on me but The windigo is a hidden creature Canada had Windigo trials where man people were burned because they were believed to be possessed by the windigo. Its no Myth


I'd really like you to explain how that article is supposed to 'prove' anything. All it does is explain that the Wendigo doesn't go back to a horror writer but to an older native American myth. And just because indigenous people of North America had a myth before Europeans arrived on the continent doesn't make that myth more true. Burning people because they believe a myth doesn't prove that myth true, either. Or do you also think the fact that Salem hanged women for being witches proves those women were witches?
"The Desolation of Smaug?" More like "The Desolation of Script."

ImageImageImageImageImage

For friendly sitters:
Code: Select all
[url=http://magistream.com/creature/7185146][img]http://magistream.com/img/7185146.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7185147][img]http://magistream.com/img/7185147.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7185144][img]http://magistream.com/img/7185144.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7185143][img]http://magistream.com/img/7185143.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7185145][img]http://magistream.com/img/7185145.gif[/img][/url]


Image
User avatar
Morgaln
CreaturesTrade
Wielder of the Banhammer
 
Posts: 10719
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 3:04:09 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Gender: Male

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby cuteAkogara » March 30th, 2011, 12:26:59 pm

I am going to try and find that Article I had because in that Article I had in fact stated that the windo is a crypted

I have found it

Here is a qoute from the article

"But should the Windigo be classified as a cryptid? It seems so. According to everything we know on the subject, there would happen to be three categories of Windigo; we have seen two up to now: an evil spirit that stalks mostly the subarctic woods in search of a host to help it satisfy its physical craving for human flesh, and a psychosis of which patients show signs of cannibalism and are antisocial. The third type is a kind of tall hominid creature, somewhat like Sasquatch. Unlike it, though, this beast seems to relish itself in violence and preying upon anything it can get its hands on, humans included. It seems to be nocturnal, for it is said that it seeks out its victims during dawn and eating them when darkness falls. Flesh might be its chiefly diet, but it is said that it eats rotten wood, swamp mosses and mushrooms."

and if you don't think I am telling the truth here is the link go read it yourself http://dinojoe.8m.com/crypto/windigo.html
User avatar
cuteAkogara
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 11:59:22 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Gender: Female

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby nanotyranus » March 30th, 2011, 1:19:22 pm

cuteAkogara wrote:I am going to try and find that Article I had because in that Article I had in fact stated that the windo is a crypted

I have found it

Here is a qoute from the article

"But should the Windigo be classified as a cryptid? It seems so. According to everything we know on the subject, there would happen to be three categories of Windigo; we have seen two up to now: an evil spirit that stalks mostly the subarctic woods in search of a host to help it satisfy its physical craving for human flesh, and a psychosis of which patients show signs of cannibalism and are antisocial. The third type is a kind of tall hominid creature, somewhat like Sasquatch. Unlike it, though, this beast seems to relish itself in violence and preying upon anything it can get its hands on, humans included. It seems to be nocturnal, for it is said that it seeks out its victims during dawn and eating them when darkness falls. Flesh might be its chiefly diet, but it is said that it eats rotten wood, swamp mosses and mushrooms."

and if you don't think I am telling the truth here is the link go read it yourself http://dinojoe.8m.com/crypto/windigo.html


Do you know what a cryptid is properly? I'm not exactly sure, but I think a cryptid is an unknown creature within the bounds of science, but not accepted by science. With it having a physical form, and losing it when it takes someone over, I don't think it's within the explanation above. Sorry if I sound a little rude here.
The Curiosity Mars Rover landed on Mars by going on a massive skydive from orbit, before using a jetpack-powered robot to slow its fall and rappling down from it on a rope before tearing off at 150 yards per hour. Your argument is invalid.
User avatar
nanotyranus
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:22:37 pm
Location: BACK BABEH, AND BETTER DAN EVAH
Gender: Kraken

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby LittleFireCat » March 30th, 2011, 1:25:36 pm

nanotyranus wrote:
cuteAkogara wrote:I am going to try and find that Article I had because in that Article I had in fact stated that the windo is a crypted

I have found it

Here is a qoute from the article

"But should the Windigo be classified as a cryptid? It seems so. According to everything we know on the subject, there would happen to be three categories of Windigo; we have seen two up to now: an evil spirit that stalks mostly the subarctic woods in search of a host to help it satisfy its physical craving for human flesh, and a psychosis of which patients show signs of cannibalism and are antisocial. The third type is a kind of tall hominid creature, somewhat like Sasquatch. Unlike it, though, this beast seems to relish itself in violence and preying upon anything it can get its hands on, humans included. It seems to be nocturnal, for it is said that it seeks out its victims during dawn and eating them when darkness falls. Flesh might be its chiefly diet, but it is said that it eats rotten wood, swamp mosses and mushrooms."

and if you don't think I am telling the truth here is the link go read it yourself http://dinojoe.8m.com/crypto/windigo.html


Do you know what a cryptid is properly? I'm not exactly sure, but I think a cryptid is an unknown creature within the bounds of science, but not accepted by science. With it having a physical form, and losing it when it takes someone over, I don't think it's within the explanation above. Sorry if I sound a little rude here.


Also, that article is the only place where I've seen the Windigo classified as a cryptid, everywhere else I've read says that is mythical. Therefore the classification as a cryptid is solely the opinion of the writer of that article, and one person's opinion does not a cryptid make.
User avatar
LittleFireCat
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 4956
Joined: July 17th, 2009, 11:06:15 am
Location: We are all brothers under the skin, and I for one would be willing to skin humanity to prove it.

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby cuteAkogara » March 30th, 2011, 1:29:57 pm

no Crypted is a Hidden creature also are you saying Windigo Psycosis is fake and not real and don't happen. Also who are you people to say that this 3rd type of windigo is fake and haven't been found.....last time I checked there are new species of things being found everyday!

Don't go telling me one persons opinion on something is wrong and try to tell me I am stupid and wrong. God I posted proof that the are 3 types of Windigo and all of you jump down my throat to tell me I am "Wrong" What is wrong with you people. cant someone have a opinion any more.
User avatar
cuteAkogara
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 11:59:22 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Gender: Female

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby nanotyranus » March 30th, 2011, 1:42:18 pm

cuteAkogara wrote:no Crypted is a Hidden creature also are you saying Windigo Psycosis is fake and not real and don't happen. Also who are you people to say that this 3rd type of windigo is fake and haven't been found.....last time I checked there are new species of things being found everyday!

Don't go telling me one persons opinion on something is wrong and try to tell me I am stupid and wrong.


We're not saying you're stupid. We're just saying that the person who wrote the thing you quoted mixed up 'Cryptid' with 'Mythical creature'.
The Curiosity Mars Rover landed on Mars by going on a massive skydive from orbit, before using a jetpack-powered robot to slow its fall and rappling down from it on a rope before tearing off at 150 yards per hour. Your argument is invalid.
User avatar
nanotyranus
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:22:37 pm
Location: BACK BABEH, AND BETTER DAN EVAH
Gender: Kraken

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby cuteAkogara » March 30th, 2011, 2:02:32 pm

nanotyranus wrote:
cuteAkogara wrote:no Crypted is a Hidden creature also are you saying Windigo Psycosis is fake and not real and don't happen. Also who are you people to say that this 3rd type of windigo is fake and haven't been found.....last time I checked there are new species of things being found everyday!

Don't go telling me one persons opinion on something is wrong and try to tell me I am stupid and wrong.


We're not saying you're stupid. We're just saying that the person who wrote the thing you quoted mixed up 'Cryptid' with 'Mythical creature'.

......So your saying The Windigo Psycosis a Mental illness that's been proven is all just Fake..............God.......I should just give up this site......No matter what I do or where I get things people are telling me everything I post is Fake........Whatever.
whenever I am on this site I feel like I should end up committing suicide thanks.....
Last edited by cuteAkogara on March 30th, 2011, 2:04:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cuteAkogara
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 11:59:22 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Gender: Female

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby wolfeyedangel » March 30th, 2011, 2:03:07 pm

A cryptid is, essentially, a physical creature (as differentiated from something like Ghosts, Angels, or Demons) whose existence has not been scientifically proved, and whose existence is considered highly unlikely, but of which reports persistently come in. Classic examples: The Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, Sasquatch, and the Yeti (the last 3 are often used interchangeably or as environmentally or regionally specific versions of each other.)

Also Wendingo Psychosis is medically classified as a psychological disorder that is characterized by an increasing tendency towards regarding other humans as edible, and an exaggerated fear of becoming a cannibal. The person might assume they are possessed by a Wendingo (provided they are aware of the myth) or they may think aliens have taken over their brains. It is often accompanied by extreme paranoia. It was named what it was named because it was noticed amongst the Algonquins (who are one of the tribes with the Wendingo myth) and named after their legend.

I have looked at that website and I fear I can't call it a credible source. There is no real scientific backing anywhere. there is no real indication as to why he has classified this creature as a cryptid rather than a mythological creature other than potential superficial resemblances to big foot, and vague claims about 'what we know' (which frankly, from a scientific stand point, is 'no evidence at all') and his own desire for it to BE a cryptid. The phrasing is very sensationalistic rather than being rational. These are not things that inspire confidence in that article's reliability.

@CuteAkogara: People can disagree with opinions all they want, as you have demonstrated by disagreeing with various opinions on this site. It is facts that cannot be argued with, and which have not been presented in favor of classifying the Windingo as a cryptid rather than a mythological creature. No one has yet called you stupid. No one has yet implied you are stupid. Disagreement is not the same as insult.

~Wolfeyedangel
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
wolfeyedangel
CreaturesTrade
MagiStream Donor
 
Posts: 4365
Joined: July 14th, 2009, 9:21:11 am
Location: Devil's Advocate
Gender: Female

Re: Official Creature Suggestion Thread

Postby cuteAkogara » March 30th, 2011, 2:07:35 pm

Mod edit: no spam!
User avatar
cuteAkogara
CreaturesTrade
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 11:59:22 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Support and Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests